northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February Pattern and Storm Discussion

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree w/ DT TW. A main staple of winter weather in the carolinas is the 500 cutoff sitting up there over new england before a system ejects east. I really think this has potential to be a mixed bag system of front end snow/sleet to ice. We'll see how the timing evolves.

I agree w/ DT TW. A main staple of winter weather in the carolinas is the 500 cutoff sitting up there over new england before a system ejects east. I really think this has potential to be a mixed bag system of front end snow/sleet to ice. We'll see how the timing evolves.

Front end mix to ice used to be a staple of our winters when I was growing up (70's and 80's).  Would love to see 2" snow, followed by 1" sleet, and then a nice 1/4 -1/2" crust on top.  Best sledding conditions ever!

TW

Atlanta really needs snow, however, the pattern seems to be that winter is over here. If that's the case, it's going to be 3 years since snow has occurred here.

The only saving grace we have is a gulf low as depicted late in the GFS run, and it's getting to the time of year that it's highly improbable.

On mobile cant post a link. You can see the models picking up on evap cooling, from a few days out too. The 850 freezing line is showing up over the mtns as the first few hours of qpf falls. Im sure it turns to rain after that.

12z euro shows this at 72 hours on Allans site. Snowfall maps show one to two inches for the mtns. As this current storm bombs out and forms a nice 50/50. That should help with more caa.

I guess the main difference between this one and the CAD event last month is the surface high center is well removed in Canada instead of over the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic. May make it tougher to lock in CAD. We'll see a long way out. I agree that this looks like a winter storm chance if that cutoff can hold on just a little longer or the ejecting system is not quite as strong. Trends to look for. 

A high pressure just North of New York in Canada is still a good position for CAD for the normal Carolina an Virginia areas,this has potential

I guess the main difference between this one and the CAD event last month is the surface high center is well removed in Canada instead of over the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic. May make it tougher to lock in CAD. We'll see a long way out. I agree that this looks like a winter storm chance if that cutoff can hold on just a little longer or the ejecting system is not quite as strong. Trends to look for.

18Z GFS is great for next weekend.  Maybe even some front-end snow before going over to ice for the CAD regions, TW, as you said.  850s are cold in the lee of the Apps at 132 and so are surface temps.  850s recede at hour 138, but surface stays at freezing or colder.

Hour 132 with surface min temps:

k5L6c3r.png

XkMC9Up.png

Hour 138 with surface min temps:

H8FMdVq.png

dREbtaj.png

Did I miss a post or something... where is this snow coming from http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/members/12zsnowf054.html

Most members show some NC snow.

Edit: Drr... I see it now, the snow today has messed my head up

why is it when I go to that site and see all the hours when I click on say 54 nothing happens the maps won't come up.

18Z GFS is great for next weekend.  Maybe even some front-end snow before going over to ice for the CAD regions, TW, as you said.  850s are cold in the lee of the Apps at 132 and so are surface temps.  850s recede at hour 138, but surface stays at freezing or colder.

Hour 132 with surface min temps:

k5L6c3r.png

XkMC9Up.png

Hour 138 with surface min temps:

H8FMdVq.png

dREbtaj.png

why is it we can't get the cold air when a storm like this shows up?

why is it we can't get the cold air when a storm like this shows up?

Because there's always a big red L up near the Great Lakes with a lot of little black circles around it. If we had a big blue H up there with a lot of little black circles around it, then we'd be in business. We used to get those. But they seem to be in short supply now. It's very frustrating.

Why is this storm even cutting, looks like good blocking. You would think this would be further south.

DT thinks so too. But what I have noticed is that even if you have a decent block and 50/50, if you have a trough in the SW, storms still cut toward the Lakes and tend to slow down and either shear out/fill or reform to the east. It may end up that it does come farther south with time, but with that trough in the SW, I would not be surprised to see it cut, as evidenced by Cold Rain's trough-ridge rule over DT's physical impossibility rule. :)

DT thinks so too. But what I have noticed is that even if you have a decent block and 50/50, if you have a trough in the SW, storms still cut toward the Lakes and tend to slow down and either shear out/fill or reform to the east. It may end up that it does come farther south with time, but with that trough in the SW, I would not be surprised to see it cut, as evidenced by Cold Rain's trough-ridge rule over DT's physical impossibility rule. :)

I've heard DT say its impossible for the low to cut to the lakes with that block in place.  I'm no expert, but why couldn't you also say "there's no way the block stays in place with the low cutting to the lakes"?

TW

I've heard DT say its impossible for the low to cut to the lakes with that block in place.  I'm no expert, but why couldn't you also say "there's no way the block stays in place with the low cutting to the lakes"?

TW

That, my friend, is a great question that never seems to get addressed. The assumption is that the block will remain in place. It might not.

That, my friend, is a great question that never seems to get addressed. The assumption is that the block will remain in place. It might not.

I remember a year or two ago DT being steadfast about a LP not going straight into the lakes or ohio valley due to a block.  Several days later, it went exactly where the models said it was going to go.  So, I'm still leaning in the direction of the low going toward the western lakes.  However, even at that the CAD is still showing up. 

TW

I remember a year or two ago DT being steadfast about a LP not going straight into the lakes or ohio valley due to a block. Several days later, it went exactly where the models said it was going to go. So, I'm still leaning in the direction of the low going toward the western lakes. However, even at that the CAD is still showing up.

TW

they can, usually it runs into the block and transfers. Miller b.

As for the block staying put. Good question, I don't know, I bet hm or wes would know.

Archived