joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solid fizzard in progress in town... big ol' flakes are back.  Windy and snowy to at least improve the mood, haha.

Mountain is getting some fairly decent snow as you can't see the mountain anymore...

I think we’re getting some assistance from that flow off Lake Ontario, looks like a decent orientation for around here:

31JAN13D.gif

The aftermath of the thaw... photos from early afternoon.

Here at the condo, still a solid 3-5" of cover that should be in the process of freezing into a substance similar to pavement.

IMG_2167_edited-1.jpg

Lots of standing water around town...

IMG_2166_edited-1.jpg

Definitely has that lovely "post-thaw" look...

IMG_2161_edited-1.jpg

Up on Mansfield... there was a lot of moving water.

IMG_2158_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2138_edited-1.jpg

Up at 3,000ft we picked up about 3/4ths of an inch of snow today.

IMG_2155_edited-1.jpg

Snow depth at my 10-foot stake is now a measly 24 inches at 3,014 feet (this is not the Co-Op stake)... which is not something to be excited about entering February on one of the snowiest mountains in the northeast.  This time of year I'd like to be closer to the top of the stake than the bottom, lol.  When I look at this, its always amazing how much different the overall landscape looks when we have those winters of like 7-10 foot depths and all those little pine trees are just gone.

IMG_2156_edited-1.jpg

Cant wait for this month to end. Keep hope alive. Big big big february incoming.

Yeah... just gotta hope it starts snowing otherwise its going to be a short spring ski season pretty much everywhere.  The man-made is great and lasts a while, but we need a few feet of natural base to go along with that!

Well, survived with 90% snow cover here at the house which is better than I thought. Just had a 15 minute snow shower here that was pretty heavy and nicely re-coated the driveway. But since that moved through, the winds have been ripping out there. I mean, it's been windy here all day but the last half an hour has been unreal! Easily the windiest time period since this whole mess started yesterday. I thought that was pretty much over...*shrug*

Yeah wind is still absolutely howling out there.  I think the past two hours have been the windiest of the day down under 1,500ft.  Just ripping across the valley here... power flickered once and I just hold my breath every time I hear a big gust coming through, haha.

Man, I'm with you on that. I lose power pretty easily here...while downtown Montpelier rarely does.

Yeah but you rarely get calls from the fire chief telling you an ice jam may force you to evacuate!

Hehe, nope don't have that problem here. Montpelier would have to be under about 250' of water before that became an issue at my house...lol.

But how come that's an issue with you? I thought you were up even higher than me.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

We had bouts of snow in Burlington today, some that were briefly heavy at times, but there was no accumulation and the ground remained bare.  It was certainly nice when I returned to Waterbury this evening to get back to the snow.  When I arrived at the Waterbury Park and Ride, there was a steady light snow falling and a decent accumulation down that had already done a nice job of covering up the bare spots in the snowpack – at least in terms of what was visible in the darkness.  I bet there was close to half an inch in town, and I thought that might increase as I headed westward toward the house as it often does, especially with the wind coming out of the west, but the depth of the new snow actually decreased.  I’d say that either the setup is such that the east side of the Greens was getting the blow over from the orographic enhancement, or we were somehow just outside the band of snow that was hitting town.  I did find a tenth of an inch of snow on the snowboard though, so that puts this event in the books as the last one of January, and puts the monthly snowfall at 21.9”, which is the lowest January snow total in my records.

The snowpack went down another half inch since my measurement at 6:00 A.M. this morning, but now it has firmed up back to a very stout base.  Barring torrential rains, it probably would have taken another couple of days of warmth to really make a dent in that stuff, but I think this is the lowest I’ve seen the winter snowpack get at this location since we’ve lived here, at least in depth.  There’s still a lot of liquid in there, so I’m not sure about where it ranks in terms of total water content.  The average snowpack depth here for January 31st is 15.3”, with an S.D. of 6.8”, so this is exceptionally low.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 27.1 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 2.5 inches

Hehe, nope don't have that problem here. Montpelier would have to be under about 250' of water before that became an issue at my house...lol.

But how come that's an issue with you? I thought you were up even higher than me.

I work downtown on State St. All of our parking is right next to the river so when it gets high we get the warnings.

I work downtown on State St. All of our parking is right next to the river so when it gets high we get the warnings.

Ah, work..ok. I figured from some of your posts you worked downtown. Didn't think of it. Sucks turning 50...all downhill from here...lol

I was downtown earlier today. Man the river looked really high with bank to bank ice chunks as I crossed the bridge on Bailey between the high school and VSECU.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

We had bouts of snow in Burlington today, some that were briefly heavy at times, but there was no accumulation and the ground remained bare.  It was certainly nice when I returned to Waterbury this evening to get back to the snow.  When I arrived at the Waterbury Park and Ride, there was a steady light snow falling and a decent accumulation down that had already done a nice job of covering up the bare spots in the snowpack – at least in terms of what was visible in the darkness.  I bet there was close to half an inch in town, and I thought that might increase as I headed westward toward the house as it often does, especially with the wind coming out of the west, but the depth of the new snow actually decreased.  I’d say that either the setup is such that the east side of the Greens was getting the blow over from the orographic enhancement, or we were somehow just outside the band of snow that was hitting town.  I did find a tenth of an inch of snow on the snowboard though, so that puts this event in the books as the last one of January, and puts the monthly snowfall at 21.9”, which is the lowest January snow total in my records.

The snowpack went down another half inch since my measurement at 6:00 A.M. this morning, but now it has firmed up back to a very stout base.  Barring torrential rains, it probably would have taken another couple of days of warmth to really make a dent in that stuff, but I think this is the lowest I’ve seen the winter snowpack get at this location since we’ve lived here, at least in depth.  There’s still a lot of liquid in there, so I’m not sure about where it ranks in terms of total water content.  The average snowpack depth here for January 31st is 15.3”, with an S.D. of 6.8”, so this is exceptionally low.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 27.1 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 2.5 inches

Probably both, the Froude Number was very high today with the strong winds so there was probably a lot of blowover from the Greens. That combined with localized lake effect bands could give you that.

Probably both, the Froude Number was very high today with the strong winds so there was probably a lot of blowover from the Greens. That combined with localized lake effect bands could give you that.

Dude I can't tell you how much I love that Froude Number stuff, haha.  It explains so much about where and why upslope will fall.  When I woke up at 4am I could see it was snowing very lightly in town with the moon out, and could see more significant clouds/snow off over the Spine (moon is pretty bright these days). 

I looked at the Mansfield Meso-Net page and saw the Froude number at under 0.5 and figured if we were getting flurries and a light dusting in town, the Spine and west might be getting some more.  Sure enough, as I get to Mansfield its snowing pretty hard (vis under 1sm) but the flakes were really small.  That's a dead giveway to me at this temperature that we are drying out quickly on this side of the mountain and that the better lift isn't making it over the Spine.

Our groomers reported 1" or a little more at the top of the lifts (for a 24 hour total), but I see Smuggs on the west slope is showing 2" just overnight.  I've noticed if Froude numbers are low and we are getting lots of small dried up flakes, that means they probably saw decent snow growth and some good fluff.

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.01” L.E.

I wasn’t expecting to have to make any measurements at observations time this morning; the snowpack is rock solid and not settling, and when I went to bed the sky was clear.  That wasn’t the case though, as I found a steady light snow falling and 0.3” down on the snowboard.  It was definitely light, but vigorous enough that after clearing the snowboard, another 0.1” quickly accumulated while I was making other observations.  The snow has even bumped up the depth of the snowpack noticeably from yesterday’s nadir.  A quick look at the radar shows the snowfall banked up against the spine of the Greens:

01FEB13A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 15.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Dude I can't tell you how much I love that Froude Number stuff, haha.  It explains so much about where and why upslope will fall.  When I woke up at 4am I could see it was snowing very lightly in town with the moon out, and could see more significant clouds/snow off over the Spine (moon is pretty bright these days). 

I looked at the Mansfield Meso-Net page and saw the Froude number at under 0.5 and figured if we were getting flurries and a light dusting in town, the Spine and west might be getting some more.  Sure enough, as I get to Mansfield its snowing pretty hard (vis under 1sm) but the flakes were really small.  That's a dead giveway to me at this temperature that we are drying out quickly on this side of the mountain and that the better lift isn't making it over the Spine.

Our groomers reported 1" or a little more at the top of the lifts (for a 24 hour total), but I see Smuggs on the west slope is showing 2" just overnight.  I've noticed if Froude numbers are low and we are getting lots of small dried up flakes, that means they probably saw decent snow growth and some good fluff.

Interesting smuggs is reporting more.  

Regardless we just need these 1-2 inch snowfalls to keep going. In a few days we'll be at least looking like winter again. You know, instead of november. 

Fyi- nothing in BTV. dusting maybe. 

Interesting smuggs is reporting more.

Regardless we just need these 1-2 inch snowfalls to keep going. In a few days we'll be at least looking like winter again. You know, instead of november.

Fyi- nothing in BTV. dusting maybe.

When the Froude number is low, Smuggs gets more. It's like 0.4 this morning.

Power is back on after nearly 10 hours without the comforts of electricity. Quite a few trees down in my neighborhood yesterday and my road was closed for several hours in both directions. Was pretty much stranded.

My high wind gust was 63 mph. About 20 minutes later, at the exact moment our power went kaput, I had a gust of 80 mph, but I am discounting that gust. I think my pc weather software (Weather Display) had a glitch due to the power outage, as it recorded the 80 mph gust at the time the power went off and computer shut down. As I can not be sure this really happened, I threw the gust out. Also, I did not see any stations near me record such a high gust.

Up at 3,000ft we picked up about 3/4ths of an inch of snow today.

Snow depth at my 10-foot stake is now a measly 24 inches at 3,014 feet (this is not the Co-Op stake)... which is not something to be excited about entering February on one of the snowiest mountains in the northeast.  This time of year I'd like to be closer to the top of the stake than the bottom, lol.  When I look at this, its always amazing how much different the overall landscape looks when we have those winters of like 7-10 foot depths and all those little pine trees are just gone.

Nice pics, but take care with tree ID when there's an anal forester posting. ;) ;)

I see fir in that snowstake pic, and maybe some spruce, but no pine.

January numbers for MBY:

Avg temp 15.3, not quite 1F above my 15-yr avg. Highest was 50 yesterday, low was -17 on the 3rd. Coldest day was 23rd with 2/-14 (aft high -3).

Precip was 1.32", 3rd lowest here and just under 1/2 the avg. 0.79" of that fell on 30-31.

Snowfall was 5.7", lowest of 15 Januarys by 2.0" and about 25% of the avg. We had at least a trace of snow on 15 days, but only "T" on 7, 0.1"-0.5" on another 7, and 4.0" on the 16th.

The month had 9 days with 15F or greater departure from avg, an unusually high number, with 3 below and 6 above avg, the latter including a +24 and +25. Temps were streaky, with 1-9 avg -7, 10-20 avg +11, 21-29 avg -9, then finishing the month with +18 and +24.

When the Froude number is low, Smuggs gets more. It's like 0.4 this morning.

Yea. I guess I'm not sure why.  'Cause to me, Smuggs isn't "western slopes" where a blocked flow would produce snow. At least in my mind. Though if the flow is a bit blocked and the wind is N/NW I guess it kinda is.

of course we're talking about 1 inch here so who really knows.

Yea. I guess I'm not sure why.  'Cause to me, Smuggs isn't "western slopes" where a blocked flow would produce snow. At least in my mind. Though if the flow is a bit blocked and the wind is N/NW I guess it kinda is.

of course we're talking about 1 inch here so who really knows.

Smuggs is west slope of the Spine... they are on the NW aspect of Madonna and Sterling... the east side of that is Spruce Peak at Stowe.

In low inversion events they get dumped on.  Already there was one of those earlier in the season when Smuggs got 12" of fluff on the west slope and we had like 2-3" on the east side.  You can usually tell the difference quickly when you drop into the Back Bowls off Spruce Peak into the Jeffersonville side.  Snow in those events will increase very rapidly.  I've seen some ridiculous differences from the Sensation Quad side and the backside into Jeffersonville.

Its the same thing when Underhill State Park and the Teardrop trail gets crushed with fluff while 1-2 miles away over here we have 30-50% of that.  I can see the difference sometimes by watching the web cam in Underhill vs. the Stowe one.

Archived