• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

I'm kinda viewing the next 5-6 days as our last hoorah around here, if we get the higher end of some of the model outputs, we could actually seal the deal for a normal snowfall season already.  Once things moderate late next week, I'd welcome a torch from there on out.   Can't understand why anyone, (at or south of 40n), would hope for a below normal stretch from mid feb thru march....all that usually means is upper 30's and 40's, puke

And a higher sun angle anyway so snow doesn't last and it takes more to get a good snowstorm. Now, having said that, I would take a repeat of March '08 any day!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kinda viewing the next 5-6 days as our last hoorah around here, if we get the higher end of some of the model outputs, we could actually seal the deal for a normal snowfall season already.  Once things moderate late next week, I'd welcome a torch from there on out.   Can't understand why anyone, (at or south of 40n), would hope for a below normal stretch from mid feb thru march....all that usually means is upper 30's and 40's, puke*

*save of course exceptions such as a PDII or March'08 event.

Impressive. And an enviable position to be in. Won't touch normal here with a 20 foot stick.

I'm kinda viewing the next 5-6 days as our last hoorah around here, if we get the higher end of some of the model outputs, we could actually seal the deal for a normal snowfall season already.  Once things moderate late next week, I'd welcome a torch from there on out.   Can't understand why anyone, (at or south of 40n), would hope for a below normal stretch from mid feb thru march....all that usually means is upper 30's and 40's, puke*

*save of course exceptions such as a PDII or March'08 event.

With trends and the way things are going to date....I would give CMH odds of a normal snow season (+/- a few inches) on the order of 90%. I would give DTW a good 60% of seeing at least normal....and ORD maybe 5%.

Bare ground here. Barely a trace from the last lake-effect "event." Screw this atrocious craptastic winter to hell and back. I don't really have the words to describe how I feel about this season.

Sorry to hear it's been that bad in Hamilton. I mean it's bad here, but barring something extraordinary, 2012-13 will be better locally than 2011-12. Still a log of **** but not diarrhea.  

My complaint is about rain. It's fun while its happening, but it leaves no real lasting legacy of enjoyment. Let's hope it stays west of the Mississippi until March.

:facepalm:

And let the Mississippi dry up? Seriously the basin needs it, even though apparently it has risen out of "danger" zone the past few days.

Day after day of that would take its toll even if there are no super warm days. This is the point where we start battling climo anyway...average high is up to 35.

Retaining snow pack is of little concern to me right now. It's Feb and we live in the tropics. I'll enjoy it when it's here, but won't be devastated when it melts. Que sera, sera.

This winter can go **** itself.

After 2011-12, i had confidence 2012-13 would be something more different given the different atmospheric conditions but we couldnt exactly form any ENSO anomaly in the Pacific and the NAO/AO didnt live up to the expectations we had back before Winter started, damn shame. This winter ****ing sucks ****. Neutral ENSO anomaly. 

First 2009-10, then 2010-11 things werent bad at all, then 2011-12 and now 2012-13 too. -__- Winter sucks. We all have high hopes at first but in the end it just fails. Every time we actually had a decent storm this winter it was rain. Words cant express the hatred i have right now, and, me and most of the Southern Ontario crew have had it far worse than yourself lool. 

Maybe next year?.....no **** that. lol, i've lost hope for Winter in general. 

After 2011-12, i had confidence 2012-13 would be something more different given the different atmospheric conditions but we couldnt exactly form any ENSO anomaly in the Pacific and the NAO/AO didnt live up to the expectations we had back before Winter started, damn shame. This winter ****ing sucks ****. Neutral ENSO anomaly. 

First 2009-10, then 2010-11 things werent bad at all, then 2011-12 and now 2012-13 too. -__- Winter sucks. We all have high hopes at first but in the end it just fails. Every time we actually had a decent storm this winter it was rain. Words cant express the hatred i have right now, and, me and most of the Southern Ontario crew have had it far worse than yourself lool. 

Maybe next year?.....no **** that. lol, i've lost hope for Winter in general. 

Yup, it sucks. We still have are whole lives ahead of us though. Plan on moving out of stink town to a place that can actually muster a plowable snow.

Yup, it sucks. We still have are whole lives ahead of us though. Plan on moving out of stink town to a place that can actually muster a plowable snow.

Yeah man. Im going to move out soon as well. Cant deal with this non-Winter anomaly any more. Its become viral and there aint no cure for it. 

2009-10 was ****, guess it was a break from the 2007-09 insanity, 2010-11 wasnt bad at all but then came around 2011-12 and i was lost for words.....and now this year too? 3 out of the last 4 winters including this one have been ****. And if we go as far back as 2005-06 which started decent but ended bad, we'd have 5 out of the last 8 winters being ****. 

You guys just know that as soon as you move out of Toronto, there's going to be a Dec. 1944/Jan. 1999 repeat.

Well, what's uncontroversial is that Toronto continues to become a less snowy place. Each decade the numbers continue to shrink. So, yeah, it's possible a fluke big storm hits at some time in the future (just like fluke big storms hit NC and Texas) but if you like snow in a general sense it's a safe bet to say that Toronto is not going to be the place to be 20 years from now.

Well, what's uncontroversial is that Toronto continues to become a less snowy place. Each decade the numbers continue to shrink. So, yeah, it's possible a fluke big storm hits at some time in the future (just like fluke big storms hit NC and Texas) but if you like snow in a general sense it's a safe bet to say that Toronto is not going to be the place to be 20 years from now.

Well, Detroit had strings of bad winters in the 1940s and 1990s, yet I wouldn't say things overall have been less snowy.

While things have been exceptionally bad for Toronto, the fact of the matter is you guys still have latitude on your side in terms of seeing winter weather (unlike NC and Texas), if nothing else. So things has to change for the better eventually.

As far as big storms, Toronto (like Detroit) just isn't a good geographic location for them, thanks to the Apps. Mountains. Not only do we lack the moisture source for the big dumps (since we're so far away from the Atlantic and GOM), but the downsloping from the mountains prevents storm tracks/development that would normally favor heavy snowfalls. Quite frankly, you're better of living in Chicago or Minneapolis if you want much better big storm potential AND to constantly see snow on the ground (Chicago's recent futility record notwithstanding).

Like Detroit, Toronto's bread and butter are Texas Hookers and Clippers, both of which have been lacking overall since 2008-2009 due to the insane -NAO from 2009 to 2011 and the horrible pattern in the Pacific from 2011 to now.

January 1999 was just all around odd, so I doubt we ever see something like that again.

Archived