• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

Where did you find this? The Feb storm is legit, but the Jan storm is bogus. 

CVG obs for Jan 6-7, 1998.

Jan 6: High of 62º with 0.20" of rainfall

Jan 7: High of 61º with 1.81" of rainfall

EDIT: should be January 6-7, 1996 for that storm (14.4").

oops its Feb 4-6 1998 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha.. I remember that big snow storm in Cincy back in 98. It had looked like it was gonna be a beastly snowstorm along the coast from VA north. Ended up with a cold rain. It was the only system i recall to have any shot at dropping accumulating snow that winter where i was. I spent half in VAB and the other at the DE coast and did not see a flake the whole winter. Only time i have seen that happen.

At least it wasn't ++RAPE. Or ++TSRAPE :yikes:

I didn't want to say it. But awful.  :bag:

Looked at the storm on the NARR page. The apex of thread the needleness. Sfc low along the SE coast with the most marginal of temps. Small cool pool of AOB 0c 850 associated with the mid level low. Foot and a half? Most would be happy with 2 or 3 inches out of that setup.

I guess. That's nuts. CMH only had 1.8" (0.40" total precip, so a mixed bag).

I had to look it up myself. Feb 4-5, 1998...18.3". How do I not recall that?

That was the miserably warm rainy el nino winter. That storm was a massive cut-off low, an island of marginally cold temps in a sea of seasonably mild. If you were in the right spot, you got a hell of a lot of snow (Cin and KY)....or ice (CMH)...or rain (believe it or not I think Buffalo got rain). It was the only real major winter event of that whole season.

Ha.. I remember that big snow storm in Cincy back in 98. It had looked like it was gonna be a beastly snowstorm along the coast from VA north. Ended up with a cold rain. It was the only system i recall to have any shot at dropping accumulating snow that winter where i was. I spent half in VAB and the other at the DE coast and did not see a flake the whole winter. Only time i have seen that happen.

I remember it quite well. There were places in the hills of E.KY with 30"+

That was the miserably warm rainy el nino winter. That storm was a massive cut-off low, an island of marginally cold temps in a sea of seasonably mild. If you were in the right spot, you got a hell of a lot of snow (Cin and KY)....or ice (CMH)...or rain (believe it or not I think Buffalo got rain). It was the only real major winter event of that whole season.

I remember that winter quite well. Quite the torch. But March 9, 1998 holds very fond memories for me.

SPECI KMDW 091125Z 36019G31KT 1/2SM TSSN FG BKN004 OVC008 01/00 A2942 RMK AO2 PK WND 01031/1102 TSE16B25 R04R/2200V3000FT OCNL LTGIC OHD TS OHD P0001 $

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMDW/1998/3/9/DailyHistory.html

Wouldn't surprise me. Huge split-flow, cutoff regime. Only cold air is being generated by the storm itself. I notice a lot of the bigger snowstorms in the TN Valley tend to be of that variety. Almost never see significant snow up here with a split flow.

We'll take it.

Long range GFS says punt until next year.

Seeing a craptastic MSN/LAC special on the models is all i need to know that now is the time to punt as far as synoptic snowfalls go until next winter. Clippers are too far north and everything else either too far se or to far nw.

Plus a whopper of a storm in Feb 07. I'm still clinging to Jan 1999 while almost everyone else in this subforum (excluding SE MI I guess) has had a monster within the last 5 years.  

Can extend that back to here across most of S.MI. east of Kalamazoo.

Whoppers should be like GHD 2011, VD 2007 (close enough), March 2008 OV storm, etc. 18-20"+ deals. But considering Toronto hasn't had an 18" storm in almost 3/4 of a century, I lower my criteria locally to 15"+.

Last pure synoptic 18+ event here was Jan 1978.. Granted Jan 79 just barely missed the 18 mark by a inch.

The NW suburbs got destroyed by that storm from hell (1/1/08).

Detroit, not so much.

*cue michsnowfreak's frequent snow/snowcover rant*

That is the only storm i have ever seen Josh really go off. He hated that one with a passion.

According to my preliminary research, here are downtown Toronto's top 10 snowstorms of the modern era:

1.  22.5" (Dec 11-12, 1944)

2.  15.7" (Jan 23, 1966)

3.  15.1" (Jan 2-3, 1999)

4.  14.3" (Feb 27-28, 1984)

5.  14.2" (Feb 21-22, 1950)

6.  13.3" (Dec 15-16, 2007)

7.  13.0" (Feb 25, 1960)

8.  12.1" (Dec 10-11, 1992)

9.  12.0" (Nov. 24, 1950)

10.  11.8" (Feb. 25, 1965)

lulz. I remember the storm but I don't remember this Josh meltdown. Time to do some digging. :)

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/151889-great-lakes-storm/

Sorry Josh. :D

last night i only got 0.1" of new snow, while many other areas got 0.5-1" or more. Its actually laughable what a screwjob this was for me, the far eastern suburbs in general- easily the worst in my memory. My snowdepth this morning is not even quite 1 inch of white crust (probably 0.5-0.8" thick, depending on spot) with a powder topping. You walk on it and hear a crunch but dont see footprints. Meanwhile DTW has 3" on the ground, Canton has 6", and Ann Arbor has like 7-8". The only other screwjob even close to this is Mar 25/26, 2002 (though I was on the good side of that one) when 12" fell in Dundee, 8" IMBY, 0.2" in Ann Arbor,and not a single flake in Oakland county. But it melted 3 days later.

I dont even care one single bit now that a warmup is coming: I can deal with having deeper snow to my NW (say, Jan 2004 when my depth was like 6" while White Lake was like 15")...but not when I can still see tips of the grass and 50 miles away has a foot or more. Sorry i sound so grouchy but geez, im starting to sympathize with the i-95ers who always complain about such drastic snowfall contrasts say between NYC and White Plains.

With a storm total of 4.5" (4.0" storm + 0.5 LES), DTW is now at 17.1" for the season. They have surpassed me! My total was 1.7" storm + 0.1" LES for a season total of 16.3" so far.

.....NEXT!

And a hungover post from Alek for giggles.

still getting over my post rose bowl depression, enough about that, got somewhere between 4-5" from that storm, hard to tell because i was drunk and it was a wet compacting snow, also beautiful as it stuck to everything, was a nice way to end a nice december. Bring on the thaw, i need to wash my ride...bad.

According to my preliminary research, here are downtown Toronto's top 10 snowstorms of the modern era:

2.  15.7" (Jan 23, 1966)

7.  13.0" (Feb 25, 1960)

Here is one

11/29-12/1 1940 16.2"

2.  15.7" (Jan 23, 1966)

7.  13.0" (Feb 25, 1960)

Awesome. Thanks T4. :)

Toronto4 is da man! Geez you did that quickly. And props to dmc as well for tying up the lose ends.

Thanks. Hopefully we'll get a big snowstorm (at least 10"+) before this winter ends. This will likely make my final grade for this winter season much more respectable (C+/B-). As it stands now, it's in the D+/C- range.

Thanks. Hopefully we'll get a big snowstorm (at least 10"+) before this winter ends. This will likely make my final grade for this winter season much more respectable (C+/B-). As it stands now, it's in the D+/C- range.

Amazing how downtown is pulling away from me. Now a 6"+ difference. And Pearson's still under a foot for the season. :lol: Still have a lot of time, but if the way this winter has performed thus far persists, could easily be another F here in Etobicoke. 

I got's good news for u guys. give me a few.

More fail clippers and then a torch. February is a disaster and it's barely started.

I'm kinda viewing the next 5-6 days as our last hoorah around here, if we get the higher end of some of the model outputs, we could actually seal the deal for a normal snowfall season already.  Once things moderate late next week, I'd welcome a torch from there on out.   Can't understand why anyone, (at or south of 40n), would hope for a below normal stretch from mid feb thru march....all that usually means is upper 30's and 40's, puke*

*save of course exceptions such as a PDII or March'08 event.

Archived