wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, this is why I thought this was the type of storm to be very conservative in; the southern shortwave was always modeled as fairly weak, and the timing had to be so delicate in order to squeeze out a MECS threat from the synoptic pattern. Beautiful block on the Atlantic side but a progressive Pacific with a lack of STJ wins out most of the time in KU situations (NOT talking about ordinary SW flow and clippers where SNE and NNE does well in this -PNA/-NAO pattern.) I don't think this one had as much potential to trend north as 12/19 last year as that was much juicier, but I still got worried about my conservative forecast when the 12z ECM came out and began to think a MECS was a serious possibility. Always had a bad feeling though.

I don't think this is over by a long shot despite the the Euro solution...the models have clearly been flip flopping in this setup as Wes and I discussed on the radio show.

As much as you are obviously rooting for a whiff, we'll see what the weather actually has to say about it. I'm not in the camp of marrying any solution when we are seeing flips like this...otherwise it leads to poor forecasting verification.

I need a retrograde or I look like a fool...even if that happens, I'm still not really right.

Terrible.

I wouldn't count yourself out yet on your call. What the hell right? It's swung 16 times previously it will probably happen again.

Ensembles should be hilarious. I told all my friends to expect a snowbowl and no school Monday. Fail.

Depends. Are you a meteorologist? If not then you're wrong.

haha apparently meteorologists aren't always right

my freaking avatar was me skiing, and my photo was me flying a plane...and I just got this.

FROM A MET/MOD

Sent 32 minutes ago

I removed your avatar and your photo. That is completely inappropriate for this board. If you post something similar, your next step is permanent banning.

LOLWTF?

I don't think this is over by a long shot despite the the Euro solution...the models have clearly been flip flopping in this setup as Wes and I discussed on the radio show.

As much as you are obviously rooting for a whiff, we'll see what the weather actually has to say about it. I'm not in the camp of marrying any solution when we are seeing flips like this...otherwise it leads to poor forecasting verification.

As easy it is to get upset here, and I'll admit I'm pretty damn upset but in reality like you said this probably isn't over by a long shot. The models are just having such a time handling the northern/southern stream shortwaves and how they interact with one another and having issues with how amplified things become in the southern stream. We've seen within the models that there definitely is potential for things to come together and despite the backward trends on the GFS/Euro they still continue to be rather close.

One positive thing on the NAM's side was how negatively tilted the southern stream energy became...this is something to watch closely over the next few days...if we can get the energy to take on the negative tilt early enough that would be really beneficial in bringing this thing further west.

While it would have been nice to see some consistency here given what we are looking at to get a hit you really can't expect the models to consistently show perfect phasing and perfect amplification run after run. Just a smidge difference in timing in something will throw the models off.

my freaking avatar was me skiing, and my photo was me flying a plane...and I just got this.

FROM A MET/MOD

Sent 32 minutes ago

I removed your avatar and your photo. That is completely inappropriate for this board. If you post something similar, your next step is permanent banning.

LOLWTF?

I agree with you.....that is nuts.

FROM A MET/MOD

Sent 32 minutes ago

LOLWTF?

PM me the images. Maybe it was a misunderstanding?

FROM A MET/MOD

Sent 32 minutes ago

LOLWTF?

Are you kidding me? They completely have ZERO clue of what your pic was.

Archived