• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

Damn really? I got 36" I thought that was bad. I think Litchfield County has been arguably the biggest screw zone over the past year. I know the CT River Valley has done as bad or a little worse, but relative to averages, Litchfield County has been the biggest snow hole.

There no way he only got a shade over 20" there...thats like downtown Hartford totals from last winter. He probably got in the 40-50" range but is just using selective memory.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we had an 8 inch storm and then a few 2-4 inchers here and there...I think my average is somewhere up near 60. We got missed on all sides lol

if this one whiffs it'll really just continue the trend.

I got 7" from the SWFE on 12/9 and then it was all downhill from there. I'm guessing you got downsloped to death in the New Year's Storm. I got 8.5" on 2/16 but other than that, yeah, just a few 2-4" events. Putrid.

There no way he only got a shade over 20" there...thats like downtown Hartford totals from last winter. He probably got in the 40-50" range but is just using selective memory.

I swear to god...I got 22" I got screwed RIDICULOUSLY bad on every storm. There were those few storms that never made it far north enough to get me..we only got the occasional flurry when 6+" was being forecasted. Then, there were the storms that went east and left us dry...then there was that monster storm that gave areas 30 miles west of here 20" when we pounded rain for like 16 hours. It was brutal...BY FAR the worst winter I ever remember while being here 20 years. Well, I only remember probably 15 of those.

Will, how close is the 00z GGEM in becoming an epic snowstorm for eastern SNE? I mean a 961mb just a tad to the northeast, that is quite the storm. Would an intensity of this surprise you?

Its a lot closer than one would think given the first 84 hours of that run...it retrogrades the low and hammers all of SNE with warning criteria except maybe the southwestern 1/4 to 1/3 of the region. Northeast SNE actuallys get a pretty major snowstorm on it. Its not far off from the 12z Ukie (which was basically a MECS from the retrograde scenario)...I don't think it would play out that way since I'm favoring the initial hit to give us the brunt, but its just another option on the table that we shouldn't ignore in this very complex pattern.

Here's some more weenie stuff, ran the GGEM numbers, you 2 .5 QPF Jerry Will Ray 2, me 1 .5, CtRain 1 , CT coast .75 lots of snow under very low heights.

If the qpf really that high? I didn't look at it closely, but I knew it was easily wanring criteria for most of SNE on its retrograde. I told Ray he still got 12"+ on it, but I didn't look very closely becausE I didn't really believe the solution. The 12z Ukie had a huge storm for us in the similar manner.

Will it would seem that the intensity of the SLP of the 00z GGEM is quite plausible given we have a lot of energetic disturbances involved. Water Vapor imagery shows a strong STJ disturbance over the SW US. So we know the disturbance is there.

Sam, the H5 pattern is so close to producing a major H5 closed low to the southeast of Cape Cod, MA. I mean the GGEM is a little late with the H5 low closing, and gives me hope that future runs will come in more intense with the surface low. I mean with a baroclinic zone setup off the East Coast, we could be dealing with the normal weaker NCEP models vs the more intense foreign models.

Well, in giving him the benefit of the doubt, I believe he is in college right now like me. And obviously you can't be home for all the events so you have to rely on a nearby COOP total or another family member or friend recording totals IYBY.

Well, in giving him the benefit of the doubt, I believe he is in college right now like me. And obviously you can't be home for all the events so you have to rely on a nearby COOP total or another family member or friend recording totals IYBY.

I'm in college, but I was home last winter because I went to a regional campus. It was me measuring. Trust me, we got fcked sideways to sunday on basically every storm

WOW...what do you avg, like 65"....I guess the CT RV wasn't the largest screwzone, then.

yeah 62" i think is avg. Compared to avg i think we were one of the biggest screwzones yes

I'm in college, but I was home last winter because I went to a regional campus. It was me measuring. Trust me, we got fcked sideways to sunday on basically every storm

yeah 62" i think is avg. Compared to avg i think we were one of the biggest screwzones yes

Yea, you avg what I do....figured that.

If the qpf really that high? I didn't look at it closely, but I knew it was easily wanring criteria for most of SNE on its retrograde. I told Ray he still got 12"+ on it, but I didn't look very closely becausE I didn't really believe the solution. The 12z Ukie had a huge storm for us in the similar manner.

Yea you are under a sick sick deform band for five consecutive hours that stretches, he'll I will capture a screen shot for ya, literally rain in Maine but GGEM.

Archived