Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes...though I think would do okay on it too...even the GGEM gives you 4-8" on the retrograde. Better than a whiff.

Yeah, I mean even if it does whiff, I am still optimistic about the pattern. The cold looks to be going nowhere so I feel like something has to give eventually. Just one solid 6-10" event while I am home on winter break...that's all I ask.

Its definitely going to be worse than last night even. This could be a putrid run.

Yup, this is why I thought this was the type of storm to be very conservative in; the southern shortwave was always modeled as fairly weak, and the timing had to be so delicate in order to squeeze out a MECS threat from the synoptic pattern. Beautiful block on the Atlantic side but a progressive Pacific with a lack of STJ wins out most of the time in KU situations (NOT talking about ordinary SW flow and clippers where SNE and NNE does well in this -PNA/-NAO pattern.) I don't think this one had as much potential to trend north as 12/19 last year as that was much juicier, but I still got worried about my conservative forecast when the 12z ECM came out and began to think a MECS was a serious possibility. Always had a bad feeling though.

Archived