gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I am wondering right now.....these seem like large jumps and inconsistencies in modeling, but it is fact that since this is such an intricate phase of multiple vorticies that the slightest nuance in the timing of everything could have dramatic implications, so perhaps what appear to be drastic changes with regard to sensible wx are not really that dramatic meteorologically speaking.

The EURO with it's superior resoloution is no longer prone to these subtleties at this range; am I right....I let you know in a bit over an hr.

Gotta grab a shower.

Wow, 00z GGEM is just a tad too late with the H5 closing off. I mean the storm's low goes to town with a 961mb low just a tad too far ne. This is so close to being in the epic level, at least for Eastern New England.

What I am wondering right now.....these seem like large jumps and inconsistencies in modeling, but it is fact that since this is such an intricate phase of multiple vorticies that the slightest nuance in the timing of everything could have dramatic implications, so perhaps what appear to be drastic changes with regard to sensible wx are not really that dramatic meteorologically speaking.

The EURO with it's superior resoloution is no longer prone to these subtleties at this range; am I right....I let you know in a bit over an hr.

Gotta grab a shower.

honestly what do you guys expect to see from the ECM? I'm expecting it to either stay the course with it's 12z run or move slightly east. I just can't imagine the Euro could have biffed two runs so easily and now will trend to an OTS solution. I really thought it was locking on at 12z today...

Well the 00z and 12z Euro runs didnt exactly agree...the 12z run was considerably west of the 00z run...they both had big hits for parts of SNE...the 12z focused on the western 2/3rds of SNE while the 00z focused on the eastern 1/3rd...or 1/2.

honestly what do you guys expect to see from the ECM? I'm expecting it to either stay the course with it's 12z run or move slightly east. I just can't imagine the Euro could have biffed two runs so easily and now will trend to an OTS solution. I really thought it was locking on at 12z today...

I think it will look like the 00z run.....maybe a bit further west, but east of 12z.

Well the 00z and 12z Euro runs didnt exactly agree...the 12z run was considerably west of the 00z run...they both had big hits for parts of SNE...the 12z focused on the western 2/3rds of SNE while the 00z focused on the eastern 1/3rd...or 1/2.

..exactly. I'm just saying, with the euro's known accuracy especially within the shorter range like this, I can't imagine that after two successive runs of trending more west that it would just jump ship and whiff NE now. I mean, we'll see in an hour obviously but that's my tentative thought.

..exactly. I'm just saying, with the euro's known accuracy especially within the shorter range like this, I can't imagine that after two successive runs of trending more west that it would just jump ship and whiff NE now. I mean, we'll see in an hour obviously but that's my tentative thought.

I don't expect it to whiff. I expect it to go east a bit, but not a whiff. I thought earlier today when it happened (and still do) that it over trended at 12z (despite it giving me a jackpot over like 2 feet). So I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back east...in fact I would be surprised if it stayed where it was at 12z or even went west of that.

At least for my location, since about 2:30pm the entire thing has had the general feel of one of those slowly deflating balloons that omits a high pitched squeal that slowly gets lower and lower with time until the entire thing just falls to a ground like a heaping mess of garbage.

That's what happens when you rapidly inflate a balloon like the Euro. A lot of potential for deflating lol

I don't expect it to whiff. I expect it to go east a bit, but not a whiff. I thought earlier today when it happened (and still do) that it over trended at 12z (despite it giving me a jackpot over like 2 feet). So I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back east...in fact I would be surprised if it stayed where it was at 12z or even went west of that.

yeah, I think it showed well over a foot here also. Snow ratios also would have been slightly better here most likely. I just want to believe it started locking onto a solution by 12z. i guess there may be some kind of wishful thinking thrown in there...

I took a look at the 84 Hour panel and figured it was OTS, Didn't expect that clown retrograde solution.

I'd still prefer the 0z GFS over this though

The retrograde type deal has been shown on most models actually....even the Euro...it brings back another round from the north and northeast late in the game...I don't think a retrograde solution would be that outlandish at it seems right now if this thing whiffed initially....we saw the 12z Ukie do this too...it hammered eastern areas after the initial whiff.

I wouldn't feel confident about it right now, but I do think there is definite potential for additional snows (or the only snows if its initially a whiff) from retrograde setup.

I took a look at the 84 Hour panel and figured it was OTS, Didn't expect that clown retrograde solution.

I'd still prefer the 0z GFS over this though

Huge lesson learned, just like the NAM, that storm is not over then either, right minds telling us capture, where when?? My take is the Euro stalls at the BM loops SW then out NNE at 980 ish with copious QPF for. Eastern 2/3 NE.

yeah lately huh? I had just over 20" last winter...yikes.

Damn really? I got 36" I thought that was bad. I think Litchfield County has been arguably the biggest screw zone over the past year. I know the CT River Valley has done as bad or a little worse, but relative to averages, Litchfield County has been the biggest snow hole.

Damn really? I got 36" I thought that was bad. I think Litchfield County has been arguably the biggest screw zone over the past year. I know the CT River Valley has done as bad or a little worse, but relative to averages, Litchfield County has been the biggest snow hole.

we had an 8 inch storm and then a few 2-4 inchers here and there...I think my average is somewhere up near 60. We got missed on all sides lol

if this one whiffs it'll really just continue the trend.

Archived