joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well certainly not what I expected to wake up to. Still not bad though. We get snow either way all the way back into ENY state. Maybe not like what we thought yesterday, but at least a white Christmas for everyone

Phil will like what he sees. I certainly do. It's rare that we get the "jackpot" out here. Still a waiting game.:popcorn:

This is something that could certainly come into play with this system...look at the SSTA's off the east coast...that is not only some thermal gradient but look at that beautiful area of nice above-normal SST's. I know the resolution isn't that great but look how close to the coast this gradient appears to be...this could act to help keep the sfc low a bit closer to the coast and these warmer waters could certainly help to really increase cyclogenesis especially if we can manufacture some good divergence aloft which models are suggesting.

anomnight.12.16.2010.gif

I don't think it's time to panic or worry at all. Things certainly not as great as 12z yesterday..but there is plenty of time and reason for this to come back to the big dog it had yesterday.

REgardless..it looks like it snows from Sunday -Wednesday at various intensities. I'm actually not bummed or upset at all. We'll all have a nice snowcover for the holidays..if a KU isn't meant to be so be it

This is something that could certainly come into play with this system...look at the SSTA's off the east coast...that is not only some thermal gradient but look at that beautiful area of nice above-normal SST's. I know the resolution isn't that great but look how close to the coast this gradient appears to be...this could act to help keep the sfc low a bit closer to the coast and these warmer waters could certainly help to really increase cyclogenesis especially if we can manufacture some good divergence aloft which models are suggesting.

anomnight.12.16.2010.gif

Look at that ripe baroclinic ribbon of love!

I don't think it's time to panic or worry at all. Things certainly not as great as 12z yesterday..but there is plenty of time and reason for this to come back to the big dog it had yesterday.

REgardless..it looks like it snows from Sunday -Wednesday at various intensities. I'm actually not bummed or upset at all. We'll all have a nice snowcover for the holidays..if a KU isn't meant to be so be it

Keep an eye on Ray. Seriously.

Even if this doesn't work out for everyone by mid-week everyone has at least something on the ground with the inverted trough setup for Wednesday...basically from late Sunday-Thursday everyday will feature periods and rounds of snow showers with snow heavy at times.

Look at that ripe baroclinic ribbon of love!

Yup!

This is something I think could certainly play into our advantage...that's a great thermal boundary and we know these systems love to ride those...maybe I am wrong here but I would think this could certainly help to give this more of a westerly track rather than easterly.

That's part of the Gulf Stream (the warmer waters)

Oh, they seem abnormally close to the coast lol. I thought the original graphic was about how far above or below normal temps the SST was lol. The La Nina is covering like half the earth! I wish we could just annihilate the Pacific in a vast particle/antiparticle explosion and end La Nina forever :)

Archived