joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, they seem abnormally close to the coast lol. I thought the original graphic was about how far above or below normal temps the SST was lol. The La Nina is covering like half the earth! I wish we could just destroy the Pacific in a vast particle/antiparticle explosion and end La Nina forever :)

Yeah the Pacific is absolutely frigid right now lol...that's some crazy cold anomalies well west of the dateline.

On another note check out those SST's around the coast of Greenland! I wonder what type of role this has played in the incredible -NAO we have been observing lately.

Even if this doesn't work out for everyone by mid-week everyone has at least something on the ground with the inverted trough setup for Wednesday...basically from late Sunday-Thursday everyday will feature periods and rounds of snow showers with snow heavy at times.

I think the problem a lot of folks have is that they want a KU or nothing at all. Sure that would be great to get a KU, but to me and I've said this a hundred times..any snow is good snow. As of right now all the models have SNE getting anywhere from about 4-8 inches of snow over the course of a few days ..and they all do it in arious ways.

Nothing wrong with 4-8 inches of snow..considering most of the folks from ORH haven't seen any snow in almost a year

Well certainly not what I expected to wake up to. Still not bad though. We get snow either way all the way back into ENY state. Maybe not like what we thought yesterday, but at least a white Christmas for everyone

That statement comes from the rosiest of rose-colored glasses (what the hell doest that mean, anyway?) I have encountered.

Yeah the Pacific is absolutely frigid right now lol...that's some crazy cold anomalies well west of the dateline.

On another note check out those SST's around the coast of Greenland! I wonder what type of role this has played in the incredible -NAO we have been observing lately.

Yup, this has really buried most of europe in snow all month. Have you been reading the euro thread? It's outrageous-- theyre about to get two more big snow storms just a few days apart. London probably looks like Iceland right now lol. It looks like the Gulf Stream is going straight up to Greenland, instead of Western Europe, where the flow is coming right down from the Arctic. Massive clockwise flow in the North Atlantic.

I think the problem a lot of folks have is that they want a KU or nothing at all. Sure that would be great to get a KU, but to me and I've said this a hundred times..any snow is good snow. As of right now all the models have SNE getting anywhere from about 4-8 inches of snow over the course of a few days ..and they all do it in arious ways.

Nothing wrong with 4-8 inches of snow..considering most of the folks from ORH haven't seen any snow in almost a year

I totally agree, there is more to winter and snow than just KU storms...if you go into winter and go into every event looking for or expecting a KU storm you're not really going to end up happy the majority of the time. Just take what is offered to you and be happy with it. KU events don't happen all that often really.

That would be like me going into every convective event hoping for a 5/31/98 type event...if I did that I would never, ever be happy. I just take whatever I can get no matter how small. This is why I always enjoy every event we get.

This week looks pretty cool from a weather standpoint, we should get some snow and it's going to happen in a variety of ways...this really makes me appreciate weather more.

BOX says we all snow (well maybe the coast has issues at some point) so who cares if it's not a KU?

FIRST ROUND OF QPF ASSOCIATED WITH INITIAL

CYCLOGENESIS LATE SUN INTO MON AND THEN A SECOND ROUND OF QPF TUE

AND WED AS OFFSHORE LOW OCCLUDES AND WARM AIR ALOFT WRAPS

CYCLONICALLY BACK INTO NEW ENGLAND IN THE FORM OF COMMA HEAD/TROWAL

SNOWS. THIS WOULD SUPPORT A LONG DURATION OF OCCASIONAL SNOW

/POSSIBLY MIXED WITH RAIN ALONG THE COAST/ TUE AND WED.

Well, I'm already locked in for a White Christmas here but more snow is always better. I just think it's funny how people get suckered by one model run be it good or bad. With little or no continuity you can't put much stock in anything right now. All that we really know is something is likely to pop along the East coast in 48-60 hours from now. If I had to bet I'd bet on evrybody getting a decent thump.

I totally agree, there is more to winter and snow than just KU storms...if you go into winter and go into every event looking for or expecting a KU storm you're not really going to end up happy the majority of the time. Just take what is offered to you and be happy with it. KU events don't happen all that often really.

That would be like me going into every convective event hoping for a 5/31/98 type event...if I did that I would never, ever be happy. I just take whatever I can get no matter how small. This is why I always enjoy every event we get.

This week looks pretty cool from a weather standpoint, we should get some snow and it's going to happen in a variety of ways...this really makes me appreciate weather more.

Speaking of which, last severe wx season really spoiled us lol. That was pretty incredible. If only this winter could be just as much.

Yup, this has really buried most of europe in snow all month. Have you been reading the euro thread? It's outrageous-- theyre about to get two more big snow storms just a few days apart. London probably looks like Iceland right now lol.

I haven't been reading it but have heard some things...they are just going through an incredible stretch of storms over there. I always thought though that the -NAO lead to weaker storm systems crossing the Atlantic and Europe was on the drier side of things with the bulk of the precip into the Mediterranean.

I don't think it's time to panic or worry at all. Things certainly not as great as 12z yesterday..but there is plenty of time and reason for this to come back to the big dog it had yesterday.

REgardless..it looks like it snows from Sunday -Wednesday at various intensities. I'm actually not bummed or upset at all. We'll all have a nice snowcover for the holidays..if a KU isn't meant to be so be it

That's the spirit, Kevin. I don't think we'll see the big dog scenario. But, given how horribly the models have been wrt this system, I'll be open to the possiiblities as remote as they may be ("you can have my snow shovel when you pull it from my dead, frozen fingers"). Maybe that'll be the slogan of the NWA--the National Weenies Association. We can become a lobbying group to promote funding to come up with better weather models.

Yup. 2005 treated us right also. My house was one of the few with a generator to watch the Pats.:lol:

2004-05 was a wonderful snow season for the Cape-- around 100 inches, which is probably like 4x normal.

BTW didnt you guys have this massive OES event back in 2003-04 and another one back in the nineties, each of which dropped like 2 feet of snow? That must have been incredible to see, especially with how localized those can be.

Good morning friends. An excellent decision going to bed before the Euro. As I had stated, no upside...only amped up excitement or annoyance. Seeing it flip like 200+ miles does not make me confident in any solution at this point. However, yesterday I discounted the srefs signal for a major eastward shift at 0Z. Guess what: We have the opposite signal now. So nothing will surprise me at 12Z. In any case, the entire 0Z/17 suite gives decent measurable snow and many with warning criteria. And no warmth in the picture at all it would seem. Keep (some) hope alive.

Good morning friends. An excellent decision going to bed before the Euro. As I had stated, no upside...only amped up excitement or annoyance. Seeing it flip like 200+ miles does not make me confident in any solution at this point. However, yesterday I discounted the srefs signal for a major eastward shift at 0Z. Guess what: We have the opposite signal now. So nothing will surprise me at 12Z. In any case, the entire 0Z/17 suite gives decent measurable snow and many with warning criteria. And no warmth in the picture at all it would seem. Keep (some) hope alive.

Yeah this is exactly why I don't stay up for models at night..no reason to lose sleep over it..you either log on in the morning and are ecstatic or depressed..but at least you got a good nite's sleep

Archived