• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The December 29-30 RPM Miracle--Obs Thread

moneypitmike

Hand plotting over 100 reports to try to smooth things out and make a final map.

Assuming these amounts (below) are accurate, the max zone was from Madison to Killingworth to East Haddam with 11", give or take. Two secondary maxes in northeastern Conn. 1. ~11" in Tolland and Coventry. 2. ~11" in the Pomfret/Brooklyn/Plainfield/Killingly area.

post-533-0-25537400-1356892851_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a 14" dump on Thursday we received 8.5" new inches overnight into this morning in Williston, VT (east of BTV by a few miles). This was due to convergence, lake enhancement, and low Froude numbers in the wake of the coastal bomb. BTV definitely under forecast the event by quitea bit. We lost 2" of depth prior to this event so the depth maxed out at 20.5"! This has been one hell of a visit! I return to reality on Thursday:

post-139-0-23436500-1356896407_thumb.jpg

After a 14" dump on Thursday we received 8.5" new inches overnight into this morning in Williston, VT (east of BTV by a few miles). This was due to convergence, lake enhancement, and low Froude numbers in the wake of the coastal bomb. BTV definitely under forecast the event by quitea bit. We lost 2" of depth prior to this event so the depth maxed out at 20.5"! This has been one hell of a visit! I return to reality on Thursday:

Nice you are a lucky charm for sure.

It's like the weather Gods said , this is your week, flooding rains, coastal flooding, high winds, front end dumper, 3 per hour snow, powder bomb, drifting snow. Fetishes satiated.

Congrat's dude... always nice when things line up nicely for a great week of weather. No complaints up here this week, either, lol.

That video is awesome.

Those flakes are the definition of great snow growth. I love the meso-scale snow up here because we often see snow growth that is incredibly difficult to achieve in synoptic storms.

J.Spin recorded 1.9" on 0.02" of liquid...and took 3 cores to confirm. That's nuts. That's almost 100:1 ratios. It is hard to comprehend just how fluffy the meso-scale snow can be up here. Glad you got to document it and enjoy it! Now you know why we get so excited when the models print out trace amounts of QPF on the maps. We'll be in the lightest QPF shading and end up getting 0.07" of QPF with 4" of snow, lol.

Snowed off and on today on the summit, mostly light. Cold, cold, cold. Temps in the teens and winds gusting 25-30+ made for tough skiing for the kiddos. Plus it blows the powderfreak fluff all over the place. 2-3" back home, storm met expectations on accumulations at my house but had way more QPF. Models did okay, they were showing warmth although it may have been overdone. Was the Euro yet again too cold? Anyway, good times, snowcover from tip to tip in New England.

7.5" storm total snow. Quite the storm! I had a period of time where I was getting 2" an hour rates. Looking forward to the deep cold to keep the snowpack.

From the side yard at home.

snowy-side-yard.jpg

Looks great, John. Is that a picture of your house? I know exactly where that is--not far from the house I lived in when I was in Bath. I was at 26 Corliss.

It's not often I get to go out and weenie out to my hearts content....kids or work or whatever.....timing was exceptional with this one and sipping Baileys and shoveling snow was just what I needed.....after taking several final measurements my total IMBY is 6.8".....maybe I can get another couple tenths with that last little band rolling through......pack is nice now at about 10".....

Praying that we can continue to add to this without any substantial loss of pack....ala Jan 2011...man would that be nice...night folks

Picked up another 0.2" overnight so I'm at an even 7.0".......great storm and my piles off to a good start....hopefully we can add to it in a timely fashion.....dreamin of a 30" snowpack ala Jan 2011.....that pack was pretty epic.....almost up to my deck rails.....

Yeah nothing beats it..The kids were all struggling to walk thru it. Built some nice sledding trails today. Will post pics in a bit

That's the best snow to sled on. Nice icy base underneath, good depth on top, but not too deep. I'm the sledding master. I used to race people all the time when I was younger and win.

That's the best snow to sled on. Nice icy base underneath, good depth on top, but not too deep. I'm the sledding master. I used to race people all the time when I was younger and win.

I posted them in the other thread by mistake..Yeah almost a foot of powder with bulletprrof concrete underneath..I mean it was like sex wax on a surfboard

Archived