• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 Year In Review

Hoosier

When I think of 2012, 3 events immediately come to mind - the March 2, 2012 tornado outbreak, the March inferno and the extreme summer heat/drought. May add more stuff as I think of it.

January 22...started off the day with 6" of snow on the ground and was under a slight risk for severe weather. First time I had seen that.

March 2 severe weather outbreak...nothing too bad here but not so downstate. First (E)F4 tornado in IN since 1998.

March torch, aka Morch...finished an astonishing +15.8 for the month.

Summer heat/drought...had 8 days with temps of 100+, more than the previous 23 years combined. Drought peaked at D3 with D4 to the south.

Isaac remnants...picked up over 1.5"

Sandy remnants...fringed here but had some gusty winds

December 26 snowstorm...about 4.5" of wind whipped powder

Here's to a better 2013!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say the Henryville, Indiana tornado would have to be number one for my area. Three days later we got a high end advisory type of snow. Gotta love the weather in the Ohio Valley.

Number two for me would be the January tornado outbreak. The most prolific January tornado outbreak in this area..

After that would have to be the amount of 100 degree days we had this year along with the drought.

Number four would have to be not receiving our first measurable snowfall until January 15th. I know we're further south than most of you guys, but usally we receive at least dusting in December.

I would have to say the Henryville, Indiana tornado would have to be number one for my area. Three days later we got a high end advisory type of snow. Gotta love the weather in the Ohio Valley.

Number two for me would be the January tornado outbreak. The most prolific January tornado outbreak in this area..

After that would have to be the amount of 100 degree days we had this year along with the drought.

Number four would have to be not receiving our first measurable snowfall until January 15th. I know we're further south than most of you guys, but usally we receive at least dusting in December.

Yeah, I remember that snow event after the tornado outbreak. Always kinda odd to see snow after such destruction.

244438-snow-covers-a-storm-damaged-home-in-henryville-indiana-march-5-2012.jpg

Not sure of the date Hoosier, but didn't Terra Haute, IN. Receive a ridiculous lake effect snow storm? Like 30"

Dude, that would be an incredible story. Terre Haute is southwest of Indianapolis. :P

Nothing in Indiana in terms of heavy LES events in 2012, but parts of IWX's CWA in southwest lower MI picked up 20.5" in February.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/iwx/?n=les_02112012

Miserable, futile winter, followed by my car getting damaged by hail twice in three days (the first event was courtesy of the Dexter tornado supercell, the second was a microcell that popped over the state park I was camping in two days later....in MARCH, may I remind you), followed by a completely miserable summer - almost two months straight of heat and drought mitigated only by a few interesting convective events (like the one in my avatar). I hope 2013 is better. We are so overdue for a not miserably hot summer. I would love a 2009, 2004, or 1992 redux, as unlikely as any of them are.

The March torch is the most memorable event this year hands down! Then the rest of the heat and drought this summer. Had one severe thunderstorm in July with decent hail, lightning and heavy rain. Other then that a pretty boring year. An honorable mention, is the wind and more so the wave action I witnessed along the lakefront from Sandy!

Me personally:

Lake effect snow to open the New Year. Moderate event but was one of the few highlights of the winter.

There was another weak system that brought a few inches of synoptic snow to northern Ohio followed by a narrow corridor of lake effect east of Cleveland with local amounts to nearly two feet in I believe the first half of January. Can't remember the date.

February 10-11 cold front/weak low pressure snow event. "mini blizzard" across portions of MI and northern Ohio. Locally saw 4-8" of wind driven snow.

March torch.

June 29 derecho. No real impacts here but WOW.

July 4th heat followed by severe storms blowing through during fireworks time.

July's intense heat and the drought.

Isaac gets a small mention.

SANDY!

Two moderate snow storms to end the year in northern Ohio.

For here...

-Epic March month long torch.

-60mph winds from a severe thunderstorm on Memorial Day. First severe storm here in a few years. Knocked power out all night.

-Forgot how many, but at least 7-8 100 degree days in July, including a 105 here and at Sterling.

-December 20th we had 1.99" of rain/thunderstorms followed by almost 4" of snow/50+mph winds/full-on blizzard conditions for over 6hrs.

Regarding chasing......well, worst season since 2005, but some of that had to do with poor timing with work obligations.

Dude, that would be an incredible story. Terre Haute is southwest of Indianapolis. :P

Nothing in Indiana in terms of heavy LES events in 2012, but parts of IWX's CWA in southwest lower MI picked up 20.5" in February.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/iwx/?n=les_02112012

Yea. I was thinking south bend. I'm pretty sure it was last year?

Edit: Was 2011. They received 36" of snow

2012 was a pretty boring year weather-wise. The 100 degree days in July and the prolonged drought tend to stick out to me.

Heat is what 2012 will be remembered for with me. First in March with breaking the all time record high 2 days in a row and finishing the month at a incredible +14.4 above normal. And then ofcourse July and breaking the 100+ mark ( peaked at 103 ) 4 days in a row which has never happened before here.

2.5" imby snowfall (vs 20" normal)

March torch (+14 on the month)

March/April hailstorms

Rain shut off like a spigot in May/early June

Summer-long mega-torch and drought, busted only by a hurricane remnant after 2.5 months of relentless heat

Extended fall (mild mild, and more mild, except for part of October)

Very low Mississippi waters (ongoing)

Archived