joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm obs snow/ice/rain/wind 12/26/12

Allsnow

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low getting cranking off the Delmarva. Not sure it's of much help though, will shift the flow aloft from south to southeast.

I wonder if 850s keep warming or if that coastal cuts off the warming of mid-level temps some. 0C contour at 850mb is now just north of Tom's River, NJ and the colder 850s have retreated the area, only -1C across Westchester...BL warming could be an issue still as the temperature is slowly going up here with east winds. Downtown Dobbs Ferry is still below freezing at 31.7/30 so I have a bit longer in the hills, but it's getting marginal.

Down to 33.8 now with a snow/sleet mix. There is a light coating on the non-paved surfaces. It looks like the precip is about to shut off for a short period. I imagine that would be the end of the temp decline and maybe also the frozen. We'll see.

Mostly snow here since about 5:00 PM with some rain mixed in when it is light...temp around 34.5 F...not able to accumulate...but I did not expect to see as much as I did...

Edit: Probably have to call it mixed precip now as I can here the distinctive pinging of some sleet pellets as of a little past 6 o'clock.

There is a mega-band south of Long Island with very heavy precipitation rates. 0C 850 isotherm is still south of Perth Amboy. Can this heavy banding change most of us back to all snow for one last time?

Anxiously awaiting that band up here as well. The temps are cold enough and it's sleeting --- but that might bring us back to the goods!

Guest Patrick

Same here in Sussex(just above Lake Wallkill...I can see high point tower from my deck).

4.6 inches in highland lakes, NJ (sussex county).

Will take a final measurement prior to bed or when we switch to sleet.

Winds really starting to pop

Archived