• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2nd-4th event

Deck Pic

I think it's easy for a weenie to graduate to d*** status considering the lack of snow in much of this region. Too many people take models literally and never focus on the synoptic set up. When someone who has a met background and skills like HM gives an opinion he basis it on scientific fact and experience. The rabid snow starved weenie simply turns on his master out of hunger and disease not malice.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's easy for a weenie to graduate to d*** status considering the lack of snow in much of this region. Too many people take models literally and never focus on the synoptic set up. When someone who has a met background and skills like HM gives an opinion he basis it on scientific fact and experience. The rabid snow starved weenie simply turns on his master out of hunger and disease not malice.

:clap: Sir, I laughed a lot. You have a very good point, people (including myself sometimes) need to calm down, because getting mad isn't gonna get you a 2' blizzard that many weenies want.

This is interesting because the duration is inside of truncation range for the GFS, so one would hope it's somewhat more skilled in this range, but I have learned to not get too excited about a setup until it's inside 120 hours. The key here seems to be the timing of the clipper that crosses the great lakes, which reinforces the cold air prior to this storm cranking up over the Southeast states. I'll be watching how the models handle that clipper over the coming days. The northern stream always seems to screw things up somehow.

:clap: Sir, I laughed a lot. You have a very good point, people (including myself sometimes) need to calm down, because getting mad isn't gonna get you a 2' blizzard that many weenies want.

I have to agree. We have been starved of any meaningful winter weather in the immediate I95 corridor of the MA for some time now that we have become, um, rabid. Hopefully a good point that is well taken.

On another note, the 18z GFS shows the southern stream storm getting held up (why) just long enough for the pesky northern stream GL low to exit and allow the southern stream low to get its act together, somewhat. Looks better for us, although it is the 18z GFS?

I have to agree. We have been starved of any meaningful winter weather in the immediate I95 corridor of the MA for some time now that we have become, um, rabid. Hopefully a good point that is well taken.

On another note, the 18z GFS shows the southern stream storm getting held up (why) just long enough for the pesky northern stream GL low to exit and allow the southern stream low to get its act together, somewhat. Looks better for us, although it is the 18z GFS?

Man how quickly people forget 09/10

Well, it's a long way out there, but I don't know if I'd throw off on the 18z GFS or not. The 18z GFS was the first model to show today's storm as something other than a lakes cutter. And it did that on 12-15-2012. Not bad.

Man how quickly people forget 09/10

Sorry. 09/10 was a great winter and one I will never forget. I only meant that the last 2 winters, last year especially, have left me (and some others, I presume) a little hungry for results. That is all I meant.

I am looking forward to some snowy event in the DC area and so far the results have been meh. Storms appear and quickly dissolve into something that nature intended them to be, but not what I WANT them to be.

Well, it's a long way out there, but I don't know if I'd throw off on the 18z GFS or not. The 18z GFS was the first model to show today's storm as something other than a lakes cutter. And it did that on 12-15-2012. Not bad.

Actually I have no bias on the 18z GFS, or the 06Z GFS. I added a question mark at the end because of all the bashing the 18Z has taken lately, whether it was real or in jest. I don't have enough knowledge to be able to attest to the properties of the different runs of the GFS. I have read over the years a lot of arguments for and against the off hour runs but I have no opinion one way or the other.

you trying to steal Wes' day job are you?

I'm too much of a snow weenie to properly imitate Wes' deadpan weenie-smashing. I'd be quite happy with a couple/few inches this weekend...getting climo December snowfall (or slightly above?) in this furnace of a month would be pretty good.

It looked favorable at 120hr, but then the northern stream just digs in and suppresses everything...I dont think I feel that good for this one, if Im not mistaken the EURO does the same thing...Pretty cold for the 1st week of Jan though.

you may be giving up on it too early

look at the energy coming down at 5H at 156 hrs

the 18z looked the same way until the northern stream energy picked up

idk, may still be something

you may be giving up on it too early

look at the energy coming down at 5H at 156 hrs

the 18z looked the same way until the northern stream energy picked up

idk, may still be something

Maybe...I just feel suppression is more likely than a developing coastal system...Theres still lot to be figured out though with the storm rolling thru now and then Saturday so maybe.

Maybe...I just feel suppression is more likely than a developing coastal system...Theres still lot to be figured out though with the storm rolling thru now and then Saturday so maybe.

it did miss the connection this run, but made it at 18z

hey, the ducks are on the pond with plenty of time, so we'll wait and see

The GFS ensemble members had a variety of tracks from a lakes cutter to suppression to something in between. This storm is far from determined, probably another 36 hours before the model has a good general idea of the timing of the key features.

time for the Euro to change your attitude

and if not that, the GFS in 6 hours

maybe the draw to this hobby is the same one as gambling, but in this one you can keep coming back to the table even after you're broke

I should start a 12-step program for weather....no seriously...I should....we have a degenerative disease

Archived