Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 29-30 storm.

stormtracker

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light mist this morning at 34 with temp starting to rise slowly. It's hard to tell what type of precip fell after I went to bed, but I think it was mostly sleet with some rain and a few flakes of snow thrown in. The temp hovered around 33 after midnight. There is about 0.2" of slush on cold surfaces and the grass. I recorded 0.34" of melted liquid in the gauge.

Actually, the much hated NAm has a dry slot and didn't start any precip until around 15Z or so and it also had warm surface temps. I suspect we still get some light precip for the city and it will probably be light rain. I don't understand everyone getting so angry, this was never supposed to be a big event and I know I mentioned at least once that there were more things that could go wrong with the event than right. Last night after seeing the GFS, Matt made the comment "next" as it didn't look particularly good.

Actually, the much hated NAm has a dry slot and didn't start any precip until around 15Z or so and it also had warm surface temps. I suspect we still get some light precip for the city and it will probably be light rain. I don't understand everyone getting so angry, this was never supposed to be a big event and I know I mentioned at least once that there were more things that could go wrong with the event than right. Last night after seeing the GFS, Matt made the comment "next" as it didn't look particularly good.

i actually ended up hedging toward the low end of our previous map for today but clearly that wasn't enough.. might not get any accum anywhere locally. so the 9 spi looks pretty bad.. of course it's only for 0.1"+ at one airport. the comments are pretty funny on cwg and social media. i've been doing some morning chuckling. i mean, if we were expecting maybe 0.5" snow and we get nothing how big a bust is that? ppl act like we stole a snowstorm from them.

Totally agree! We are busting on losing out on 1 inch of snow!

I've followed your insight the whole time. You've been dead on right with this one and just about every other so far. I'm sitting here with rain in Williamsburg and I can't help but lol at the whole thing.

i actually ended up hedging toward the low end of our previous map for today but clearly that wasn't enough.. might not get any accum anywhere locally. so the 9 spi looks pretty bad.. of course it's only for 0.1"+ at one airport. the comments are pretty funny on cwg and social media. i've been doing some morning chuckling. i mean, if we were expecting maybe 0.5" snow and we get nothing how big a bust is that? ppl act like we stole a snowstorm from them.

I agree, Not much of a bust at all. Plus or minus 1.5" is pretty accurate. This area really in my book could be one of the hardest areas to predict snow accumulations. So many variables. It can go wrong real fast. We should get use to a 1-4 instead of a 2-4. And use 4-8 as the next step exceeding the 4". To many perameters, mets are just begging for failures if they try to be too accurate. Just my opinion.

I hadn't looked at CWG but had noticed the angst here. I think the forecast fro the city was an 0.50 or less. That the precip is coming in with the NAm timing is kind of funny since it always gets slammed. I didn't post it last night but the Sref mean was .17 inches of liquid equivalent at dca on the 03Z guidance and most members had dca as almost all rain. Only one member had .17 as snow while the mean was 0.02. I think I saw an earlier one that looked similar. They had been trending lighter and rainier over the past couple of days.

Right. It's all Wes's fault. He hasn't laid out every possibility for days and totally said we were doing to get a huge dumping.

Gimme a break.

Exactly right. That was a terrible post he made. This isn't a bust.....except for people who ignored the models in favor of what they wanted.

These models are good.

And Wes is even better.

I hadn't looked at CWG but had noticed the angst here. I think the forecast fro the city was an 0.50 or less. That the precip is coming in with the NAm timing is kind of funny since it always gets slammed. I didn't post it last night but the Sref mean was .17 inches of liquid equivalent at dca on the 03Z guidance and most members had dca as almost all rain. Only one member had .17 as snow while the mean was 0.02. I think I saw an earlier one that looked similar. They had been trending lighter and rainier over the past couple of days.

The NAM is usually pretty good within 24 hours. It's my primary short term guidance in that range.. maybe not quite as good on synoptic winter storms but probably gets more flak than it should. When it's extra bouncy it's cause for pause but if it's part of the overall trend...

The NAM is usually pretty good within 24 hours. It's my primary short term guidance in that range.. maybe not quite as good on synoptic winter storms but probably gets more flak than it should. When it's extra bouncy it's cause for pause but if it's part of the overall trend...

I actually think it was the model to start the "dry slot" trend last night.

Archived