• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Chill Storm Discussion and Obs

WinterWxLuvr

What's the overall take on the Christmas Eve storm? Are we still "too close to call"?

Seems like a weak system to me that just might come at a good time of day.

Temps are a concern it seems. All of the models have 850's above zero and 2M temps in the mid to high 30's. Dont know how accurate that is though?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have expected there to be quite a few big shifts along the way with this storm. Just slight differences in strength speed and placement of seemingly minor features cause large swings in solutions. There have only been a couple runs over the last week that we're out to lunch.

The big Chicago cutter was totally reasonable. Things changed after there was a better handle on the 50-50ish feature and the Xmas wave. Then an apps runner or miller b seems much more likely and reasonable.

Expecting any model to hit on all features' strength and timing leading up is a tall order. This particular pattern is riddled with subtleties. Other patterns can be much easier at long leads but not this one imo.

I'm personally getting more sold on a hybrid than a true apps runner but that doesnt mean much.

Even if a hybrid becomes a lock, just wait until we see another half dozen or more different solutions about where the jump happens and how strong the primary and secondary are. It will not be boring or locked in until Xmas night and even then it's gonna be miss in someone's eyes. Good times!

I have expected there to be quite a few big shifts along the way with this storm. Just slight differences in strength speed and placement of seemingly minor features cause large swings in solutions. There have only been a couple runs over the last week that we're out to lunch.

The big Chicago cutter was totally reasonable. Things changed after there was a better handle on the 50-50ish feature and the Xmas wave. Then an apps runner or miller b seems much more likely and reasonable.

Expecting any model to hit on all features' strength and timing leading up is a tall order. This particular pattern is riddled with subtleties. Other patterns can be much easier at long leads but not this one imo.

I'm personally getting more sold on a hybrid than a true apps runner but that doesnt mean much.

Even if a hybrid becomes a lock, just wait until we see another half dozen or more different solutions about where the jump happens and how strong the primary and secondary are. It will not be boring or locked in until Xmas night and even then it's gonna be miss in someone's eyes. Good times!

Anything can be reasonable based on the upper pattern being forecast. There's been little if any consistency on that past 4 or 5 days. You can pull old maps and see it.

I don't think anybody expects a model to have all aspects correct. Having said that, I think plenty of people like to base long range forecasts for warmth off modeled heights. So how are those forecasts expected to be solid when you're talking about upper air patterns that have proven to be unreliable? Yet a forecast based on a solution that is a cold or snowy scenario, a solution created by the modeled upper air pattern is called wish casting. Both are shots in the dark.

The early week forecasts are looking to bust. And that is because the early week forecasted upper air patterns are going to be way off.

Anything can be reasonable based on the upper pattern being forecast. There's been little if any consistency on that past 4 or 5 days. You can pull old maps and see it.

I don't think anybody expects a model to have all aspects correct. Having said that, I think plenty of people like to base long range forecasts for warmth off modeled heights. So how are those forecasts expected to be solid when you're talking about upper air patterns that have proven to be unreliable? Yet a forecast based on a solution that is a cold or snowy scenario, a solution created by the modeled upper air pattern is called wish casting. Both are shots in the dark.

The early week forecasts are looking to bust. And that is because the early week forecasted upper air patterns are going to be way off.

I certainly overstated things by saying I'd be stunned if it changed as I didn't expect there to be no changes but didn't see any chance of the low going to our south and east enough for a snowstorm. I still think that is unlikely as the most likely track is still some type of miller b solution. I guess you'll consider my comments equivocated. I certainly did not see the storm coming as far east as it look like it will but still think the odds are that the storm track west of us which keeps most of us from getting a major winter storm. Could we get the latter, sure as I noted in my article. I guess part of the problem with communicating between us is that some always see snow chances (I'm not saying you) pretty much every storm and I probably have reacted too strongly to that. Anyway, congrats to you and Bob.

I'm pretty modest Wes. We all know that it was just a hair above luck to have a call so far in advance actually appear to be working out in my favor.

All I ever said was that it appeared to be our first legit shot at a significant storm that may include winter weather.

I'm pretty enamoured by the next 15 days but first things first.....lol

Archived