joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chill Storm Discussion and Obs

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea, you can see the change @ 500 and the handling of the xmas wave isn't going to be as east friendly as we hoped. Apps track with CAD/Ice. I don't even need to see the rest I don't think.

it's all good. We knew there was a good probability that it would head more W than E. I think we can just monitor it and whatever front end stuff we get will be better than nothing.

it's all good. We knew there was a good probability that it would head more W than E. I think we can just monitor it and whatever front end stuff we get will be better than nothing.

run after run a lot of people stay below freezing....this is interesting to track....Are people seriously hoping all of the sudden the models are going to start showing an I-95 snowstorm...that is a pretty bad and kind of stupid bar to set when watching these models

996mb 30 mi east of Rehoboth,...there is some consistency here with a potentially real nasty ice event for far NW burbs with some possible wraparound snows...we all may start as snow sleet...wont nail down the sfc until much closer..will be a tricky forecast

It is very tricky. NWS is going to have to throw out the kitchen sink on Sunday if this continues.

Takeaway:

Track not all that different last few runs. Models have a difficult time resolving transfers because they are so subtle. Really recognizable cad sig has been showing up for days. There is a high probability of frozen precip at this point. Maybe all 3 kinds. Good enough for me.

Well since the ensembles showed some West and some East seems to me this type of run was on the table...nobody should be surprised if the next run goes back the other way...still 5 days or so away.

what are people's expectations?...Are people watching these runs hoping they will show a DC snowstorm?...I don't really get that?

996mb 30 mi east of Rehoboth,...there is some consistency here with a potentially real nasty ice event for far NW burbs with some possible wraparound snows...we all may start as snow sleet...wont nail down the sfc until much closer..will be a tricky forecast

CAD is sometimes more fun that straight up snow. How quickly it gets scoured out varies so much.

It is very tricky. NWS is going to have to throw out the kitchen sink on Sunday if this continues.

Takeaway:

Track not all that different last few runs. Models have a difficult time resolving transfers because they are so subtle. Really recognizable cad sig has been showing up for days. There is a high probability of frozen precip at this point. Maybe all 3 kinds. Good enough for me.

absolutely and keeps screaming WWA or even potentially WSW's for ice for MRB/HGR etc....

Expectations...was kinda hoping for maybe 2-3 inches, just to see the ground white again. Even if it gets washed away with a changeover to rain.

If anything it would get glaciated. We all know how expecting backside snow in these parts is typically a kick in the backside but it's cold at the surface through many runs. I think any ip, zr, or even slushy snow would get frozen in place as the system departs.

I'm not ruling out a change to snow at the end because the setup shows promise in that dept. It's not smart to expect it but ruling it out isn't smart either.

I suspect anything we get frozen will still be around the morning after. Maybe pic worthy.

what are people's expectations?...Are people watching these runs hoping they will show a DC snowstorm?...I don't really get that?

I don't think anyone knows what their expectations are save a few. I for one am having fun watching the models run...I mentioned that several days ago. I'm sure there are some holding out hope for a snowstorm but they are the ones who always do. I do think though that it was hammered in our heads that this was purely a rainstorm with no or very little chance of frozen early on so the changes have been fun to watch. But anyway...I'm hoping for more sleet than freezing rain...besides freezing rain at 31 really isn't an issue...if we are in the 20's then that would be interesting.

Expectations...was kinda hoping for maybe 2-3 inches, just to see the ground white again. Even if it gets washed away with a changeover to rain.

this isn't a bad run to actually believe the backlash might not be its usually fantasy...the sfc low track isn't ideal for that, but the base of the 500mb trough swings right over us and could enhance any chances, especially where you are

If anything it would get glaciated. We all know how expecting backside snow in these parts is typically a kick in the backside but it's cold at the surface through many runs. I think any ip, zr, or even slushy snow would get frozen in place as the system departs.

I'm not ruling out a change to snow at the end because the setup shows promise in that dept. It's not smart to expect it but ruling it out isn't smart either.

I suspect anything we get frozen will still be around the morning after. Maybe pic worthy.

Frozen over a groundcover snow would be a lot better than anything we have seen in 23 months, so that would be pretty damn ok if it goes down that way.

Archived