• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fri Dec 21 Storm obs. Widespread wind damage

Damage In Tolland

I'm not seeing how we mix much down in the interior. I'd be surprised if we even got widespread wind advisory criteria away from the coast (>45mph gusts)

Exposed coastal locations definitely may rip for a bit. Esp out on the Cape.

Cuz we warm sector south of pike as low cuts west

Steve that was off Gfs I believe

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Modeling advertising a wild 3-6 hour period tomorrow morning centered on the AM rush with pounding rains, scattered thunder and strong, damaging winds.

50-60 mph gusts seem likely for all of SNE so expect the HWW to be flying with the afternoon AFD.

i'll take a look but my first impression borrowing from the last couple days of modeling is no where near that affect.

there is some boundary layer resistance all the way down into the MA due to CAA on the backside of yesterday. this system is moving so fast that it encounters that resistance before the air mass has moderated.

you can see what that does to this baroclinic axis; a wave develops S of the area, perhaps a long a triple point. the best wind field in that sort of scenario has trouble getting down through the inversion that is resulted (warm over cold) - i.e., not a well mixed.

Actually ... there's a helluva llv jet core passing over; despite what i just posted, which is still true, if that jet is that overwhelming it may overcome some of those limitations.

also, this could be local-studies scenario. the oceanic temps are higher than the DP, meaning that the Cape and Islands will be quite susceptible to this.

Not a bad thread, Kevin - this will definitely be worthy of analysis during the day/night.

Here are the NAM 925mb winds between 24 and 30 hours off the 12z run; you can see a 60 to 65kt SSE inflow pummeling the S coast, Cape and Islands. Inland els would have to be susceptible should a ribbon echo squall line evolve. Otherwise, the fairly rapid descent in height as we go from the S coast to S. NH here suggests that cooler BL could inhibit for interior zones:

NAM_221_2012122012_F27_THTE_925_MB.png

I should be clear ... I mean that as, "should it mix successfully" for southern/eastern zones. 925mb is getting kind low in the atmosphere for protecting the surface from damaging gust, particularly when the ocean is warmer than the air in this case and could suffice to mix out inversion and bring some of that action down in to the boundary layer.

I see that KTAN went with High Wind Watch for the Cape and Islands/adjacent SE zones - good call there from what I am seeing.

This could be pretty legit on the coast and Cape. ESE wind setups usually have a bit less of an inversion which is evident on the soundings. The true srly gale setups are classic inversion stink jobs. Pretty good fine like of +RA modeled to swing through along with good negatively tilted trough. I could see 60+ in some areas.

This could be pretty legit on the coast and Cape. ESE wind setups usually have a bit less of an inversion which is evident on the soundings. The true srly gale setups are classic inversion stink jobs. Pretty good fine like of +RA modeled to swing through along with good negatively tilted trough. I could see 60+ in some areas.

oh yay, Merry Christmas

With 925mb winds that high, I definitely think 60 MPH gusts are possible, especially the Cape and Islands.

The 12/17/2000 analog that I tossed out had wind gusts to 61 at PVC and 63 at ACK.

There was an event right before Christmas, I think maybe in '99 or it could have been that '00 deal where we lost power for a day at my house. It was purely convective from the line of +RA.

There was an event right before Christmas, I think maybe in '99 or it could have been that '00 deal where we lost power for a day at my house. It was purely convective from the line of +RA.

12/16/1999 was another analog, but that system wasn't as amped up. Wind gusts 20-30 generally for eastern Mass.

Yeah that's that "ribbon echo" squall phenomenon - it's pretty common in winter at this latitude when you have an elevated warm layer and strong jet running over top.

Archived