joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t have temperature data, but 2012 calendar year precipitation numbers for our location are as follows:

133.9” snow/50.32” liquid

Liquid is coincidentally very close to tamarack’s 50.36”

But your snow was over 50" more than mine.   :cry:

It was -15 at my place when I left at 6:55 this morning.  Since the temp had dropped to near -10 by 10 PM last evening, I expected a low beginning with a crooked number.  However, my 5A temp was only about 1F colder than 7 hr before.  Then another -5F by departure time.  I'm guessing some breezes were messing with the inversion at times.

Coldest I saw for New England was -21 at HIE.  I'm confident SLK was colder.  Northern Maine bottomed out -5 to -10, with winds still gusting near 20.

-6F here before going to bed on my final night here. It has been awhile since I enjoyed a good nostril freezer :)

"Snot freezer" is my inelegant term - tells me the temp's zero or colder. Hearing firecracker sounds as I walk down the wooden porch steps is another indicator.  Has to be -20 or colder before the trees begin to pop. 

NECN is showing 3-6" along the northern spine, with a small area of 6-12" near Jay by Saturday morning.  AFD is more vague, with D-4", and then another 2-5" Sunday into Monday morning for higher elevations.  Could be a nice little nickel and dime stretch the next ~5 days.

NECN is showing 3-6" along the northern spine, with a small area of 6-12" near Jay by Saturday morning.  AFD is more vague, with D-4", and then another 2-5" Sunday into Monday morning for higher elevations.  Could be a nice little nickel and dime stretch the next ~5 days.

Yes. they must be looking at the BTV WRF images from the 12Z run (thanks PF). Check this out:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/4kmwrf/

that WRF model is odd.  shows heavy snow at Jay, moderate for stowe, and then pretty light from camel's hump down through monroe skyline, then kicks the precip back up all the way down to the MA border.  

1.5" QPF for Jay in 36 hours with good, cold temps?  that would be a Jay Peak special for sure.  take it with a grain of salt until it's on the ground.

that WRF model is odd.  shows heavy snow at Jay, moderate for stowe, and then pretty light from camel's hump down through monroe skyline, then kicks the precip back up all the way down to the MA border.  

1.5" QPF for Jay in 36 hours with good, cold temps?  that would be a Jay Peak special for sure.  take it with a grain of salt until it's on the ground.

Yes, that model tends to overplay the QPF a bit and also isolate it a little too much as well. Then again, I think it depicts the orography at play pretty well...like you said, we'll just have to wait and see! Usually my area does better in these situations than during real storms, for whatever reason.

I haven't looked that closely, but think by Monday morning, most of us VTers see 3-6" with 6-12" mountains.

As I said a week ago, this is a great nickle and dime pattern for us that won't gather much fanfare. If this was SNE there'd be a 75 page thread tracking a couple 1-3/2-4" type events :lol:

It's just going to keep snowing in the Greens. I checked my MTN snow boards today and found 4" at 3,000ft in the past 36-48hrs. It really looks amazing up there...true candyland forest or Santas Village type stuff.

I haven't looked that closely, but think by Monday morning, most of us VTers see 3-6" with 6-12" mountains.

As I said a week ago, this is a great nickle and dime pattern for us that won't gather much fanfare. If this was SNE there'd be a 75 page thread tracking a couple 1-3/2-4" type events :lol:

It's just going to keep snowing in the Greens. I checked my MTN snow boards today and found 4" at 3,000ft in the past 36-48hrs. It really looks amazing up there...true candyland forest or Santas Village type stuff.

I took a pretty close look at the WRF (would like the NMM and HRW high res back too) and I think it is a classic pattern. A weak low, a cold front, another cold front, and another weak low will add up to 6-12 for the spine above 2500 feet. No doubt about that.

Don't think much kicks off tonight...snow prob. builds in late late morning tomorrow and increases in coverage/intensity as the cold front moves in later in the day/ovrnight.

-18 at LSC, -23 Island Pond, -26 at Canaan. No thanks. F*** that haha. I had 11 last night down this way and it was rough :lol:

PS- eastern slopes of the Greens.. 6+" incoming by Sunday night. enjoy! Right now I like 2-4" for CT river Valley and locations below 1000'.

LOL... it was a chilly one.

This has MVL with a low of -17F but it looks like we hit -20F at the local ASOS per the obs below.

Always nice to get that first -20F night out of the way, haha.

Stellar day in NNE... mountains finally saw some sun after like 2 weeks of constant snow and rime.  Looked pretty sweet from town.

IMG_1068_edited-2-1.jpg

IMG_1070_edited-1.jpg

Views out to the Whites were great... Mount Washington is on the horizon to the left.

IMG_1079_edited-2.jpg

Posted some additional photos in the Ski Thread...

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/35526-the-201213-ski-season-thread/page-24#entry1979674

But your snow was over 50" more than mine.   :cry:

Yeah, that’s the ol’ Green Mountain upslope fluff effect in action – it sounds like the next few days could be another example of that.  But, I suspect you had a heftier snowpack in place with your preservation and dense snow.  Max snow depth achieved at our location for calendar 2012 was actually just a few days ago - 19.0” on December 30th.  That’s already deeper than we attained at any point in 2011-2012, which maxed out at 18.0” on February 25th.  Boy does that speak to the difference between this season and last season already.

Yeah, that’s the ol’ Green Mountain upslope fluff effect in action – it sounds like the next few days could be another example of that.  But, I suspect you had a heftier snowpack in place with your preservation and dense snow.  Max snow depth achieved at our location for calendar 2012 was actually just a few days ago - 19.0” on December 30th.  That’s already deeper than we attained at any point in 2011-2012, which maxed out at 18.0” on February 25th.  Boy does that speak to the difference between this season and last season already.

It's a tie.  2011-12 maxed at 19" on March 1.  December reached 14" (15" for my 7 AM cocorahs obs last Sunday, had settled an inch by my usual 9 PM obs time.)  No jealousy here for your snowfall totals, just respect for your care and enthusiasm in tracking it.  Plus it's always interesting to compare how different geography/topography affects snowfall rates, LE ratios, snowpack, and such.

LOL... it was a chilly one.

This has MVL with a low of -17F but it looks like we hit -20F at the local ASOS per the obs below.

attachicon.gifmin_temp.png

attachicon.gifbrrr.jpg

Always nice to get that first -20F night out of the way, haha.

Whats the link for that map, it looks like they have my weather station on the map now down in bolton at -11.  If so that is awsome.  Still amazed how GFL gets so cold, just a perfect location at the base of the foothills despite its low elevation.  Its the SLK of the southern dacks.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

Steady light snow greeted me at observations time this morning.  It tapered off a bit as I headed east into Waterbury, but it was still there.  Our point forecast calls for 2 - 6” summed through tonight, although that seems notably higher than Roger Hill’s thoughts this morning.

It seems like there’s some nice moisture pushing into the mountains though, radar and the near term BTV NWS forecast discussion below:

04JAN13A.gif

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 627 AM EST FRIDAY...DYNAMIC FORCING BEGINNING TO INCREASE OVER THE AREA EARLY THIS MORNING AND SEEING SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SNOW SHOWERS ALREADY. SO HAVE TWEAKED THE PRECIPITATION CHANCES UP JUST A BIT TO ACCOUNT FOR WHAT IS SHOWING UP ON RADAR/BEING REPORTED. OVERALL IDEA OF FORECAST ON TRACK WITH MINOR ACCUMULATIONS MOST AREAS BY LATE IN THE DAY TODAY. SEEING THE GUSTY WINDS ALREADY DEVELOPING OVER THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY AND STRONGER WINDS WILL KEEP MOVING EAST ACROSS THE AREA. LOOKING AT WIND GUSTS IN THE 30 TO 40 MPH RANGE THIS AFTERNOON. FORECAST SNOW AMOUNTS ON TRACK AND WILL LEAVE ALONE AT THIS TIME.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 10.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

Well, as of 6am there was under 1" in the last 24 hours so it goes in as a dusting (probably about a half inch or so).

That makes only the fourth 24 hour period since December 16th where we did not get 1" or greater of snowfall.

The other three were December 25, 26, and 29.

At home at 4:30am I had a dusting (somewhere between 0.1-0.3 depending on if you measured the highest point of the flakes). Per usual with these events, the flake size was so large that all you need is like 10 flakes to land on your board and you've got a couple tenths, while you can still see the measuring surface under the airy flakes.

2F with .3" of fluff this morning.  Got down to -6F before starting the slow climb upward.

Sounds similar.  Topped out at 7F yesterday, dropped back down to -5F by the time I hit the rack last night and was up to +5F this morning with light snow when I got up.

0.4" of some very air filled snow....

1.5" in my driveway from today's snow showers.  Just flurries now.

Had about 2" at the ski area as of 3pm.

Yeah, I just checked the latest update to our point forecast and it looks like plenty of chance for more through the weekend; 3 – 7” through tomorrow if the individual period forecasts were summed, but in any event it should keep things fresh.

04JAN13A.jpg

Archived