Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 1.8” Snow/0.08” L.E.

There was an inch of new snow on the snowboard this morning to add to the accumulation from this most recent upper level disturbance.  Current snowfall at the house is at 106.2% of average according to my records, and the next shot at snow looks to be the Wednesday system.

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 15.4 F

Sky: Flurries (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

Added penny to nickel.  .4 new after yesterday's .9 to the 2.4 the day before ....

It was snowing very lightly as I left the house which, if I am correct, makes it 12 straight days with some snow at the house (since 12/27)  maybe 16 but I can't remember if it snowed on Boxing Day.

Edit:  Went back through the thread and it looks like the storm for the 27 would have started snowing  on the 26th right before midnight, if that is correct I believe we have had snow of some sort everyday at the house since the snow to rain to snow event on the 21st, which would be 18 days.

Edit:  Went back through the thread and it looks like the storm for the 27 would have started snowing  on the 26th right before midnight, if that is correct I believe we have had snow of some sort everyday at the house since the snow to rain to snow event on the 21st, which would be 18 days.

Just looked my numbers out of curiosity.  Had a trace or more of snow 21 out of 31 days in December and every day so far in January.  Consecutive streak of a trace or more now at 23 days, going back to 12/16.  Looks to end today though unless we can somehow squeeze out a trace/0.1" by 7am tomorrow morning.

Not too shabby though, all in all.

Half inch of 25:1 puff overnight, saw 2.9" reported from Ellsworth and some other Wash/Hancock reports of 2"+. Season total is now just 0.8" from half of 2011-12 total, while being about 6" above my avg thru this date.

Glad to see gfs dropping warm-spell qpf down from multiple inches to multiple tenths. Even if it's all 40F RA, a quarter inch or so won't hurt things much. Then later next week things might get interesting.

Half inch of 25:1 puff overnight, saw 2.9" reported from Ellsworth and some other Wash/Hancock reports of 2"+. Season total is now just 0.8" from half of 2011-12 total, while being about 6" above my avg thru this date.

Glad to see gfs dropping warm-spell qpf down from multiple inches to multiple tenths. Even if it's all 40F RA, a quarter inch or so won't hurt things much. Then later next week things might get interesting.

Yeah, Like to see the Euro win out here, 2 days of marginal warmth then a cold FROPA and we step down from there going forward with an over running miller b'ish look

Yeah, Like to see the Euro win out here, 2 days of marginal warmth then a cold FROPA and we step down from there going forward with an over running miller b'ish look

Fri night could be interesting with the possibility for a little front end snow on the Euro and GGEM. The GFS is close to a little burst of accumulating snow too.

Fri night could be interesting with the possibility for a little front end snow on the Euro and GGEM. The GFS is close to a little burst of accumulating snow too.

Yeah, Looks like some wintery on the front end up here better then just plain RN, Just need to get thru the weekend into next week

What a (powder) freakin' great day in the northern Greens... by 10am the wind quit, the snow finally moved out, and the sun came out for what seemed like the first time in 3 weeks.

After a final hurrah of 6" at 3,000ft, the cumulative total since December 16th came out to 85 inches (7 feet, 1 inch). 

The higher ridgelines are just absolutely buried and caked with snow and rime.  Snow ghost material.

IMG_1370_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1329_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1375_edited-2.jpg

And a photo from facebook...

282889_752028606977_1379479008_n.jpg

Event totals: 2.0” Snow/0.08” L.E.

A couple more tenths of an inch of snow fell this morning to finish off this event.  It's cold out there now with absolutely brilliant stars.

Details from the 9:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 6.8 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 13.0 inches

I miss being up there already but was thrilled to be up for an epic stretch. Unfortunately it is brutal in my home region. Even in NC we do see occasional snows and some are working on a second consecutive year with no measurable. Even Asheville, in the mountains, hasn't seen a measurable snow since the 2010-2011 winter.  It is outright despair to be sure for winter weather fans in the SE forum.

some of those pics of the slides could really be mistaken for out west, true double black diamond skiing.

Takes alot of snow to open them,was there for the big march dump 2 yrs ago and yes

it is pretty close to out west just more rocks

some of those pics of the slides could really be mistaken for out west, true double black diamond skiing.

When Whiteface has snow comparable to the Northern Greens, the mountain is magical. It really is a beast when the entire mountain is open for exploration. Unfortunately, they're usually at roughly 70+% (total guess) of Jay and Stowe's seasonal snow totals because they dont get any Champlain Champagne.

Morrisville-Stowe got down to -3F last night... it was 1F when I went to bed at my house, and 24F when I woke up, lol.

Been rising real fast at the mountain, especially lower down here at 1,500ft. 2,500-4,000ft is staying cold in the protected northeast facing bowl.

Up to 30F at 1,500ft now.

Was -8 when I left the house at 6:50; had been 3-4F colder earlier.  At the same time, AUG was reporting 28 and ROK 39.  Can't recall the last time there was such a huge temp difference between MBY and AUG.  Since the time/temp sign in Belgrade showed 25 (though it's 2-3F too mild, that's still 30F in 15 miles), I'm thinking the south wind was having trouble getting over Mile Hill/Kennebec Highlands country.  When it does, my place will probably gain 20F in an hour.

Archived