joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the time I heard about it, unfortunately it was. The sun was up the roads were drying out.

All that trouble from 0.02" and temps in the upper 30s.

Yeah, that's what I figured. It often seems to be these little surprise, perfectly-timed "events" that cause the most trouble for the battle-hardened drivers in our area!

I was surprised to hear the plow truck go by twice as I was laying in bed this morning trying to convince myself to get out of bed.  We had gotten a fresh inch of snow overnight.  No ice on the roads for the drive in.

LOL, I could've slept for hours more this morning.

Nice little surprise snow for you.  I saw one car that was pretty whitened on my way into to work this morning.  Not sure where it came from but surely somewhere that saw more than I did overnight.

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...AS OF 307 AM EST THURSDAY...LARGE UPPER RIDGE WHICH HAD BEEN OVERTHE EASTERN PORTION OF THE COUNTRY THIS WEEK...WILL PUSH OFFSHOREOVER THE WEEKEND AND EVENTUALLY BREAK DOWN AND PUSH SOUTH. THISWILL BE ENHANCED BY LARGE TROUGH DIGGING DOWN FROM EAST-CENTRALCANADA. AS THE RIDGE BREAKS DOWN THRU NEXT WEDNESDAY...MDLS DOCONTINUE TO SHOW SEVERAL SHORTWAVES/SFC LOWS MVG ALONG THE WESTSIDE OF RIDGE AND AFFECT THE NORTH COUNTRY. FIRST LOW TRAVERSESTHE AREA SUNDAY LIFTING NORTH OF THE CWA BY SUN NGT. SHORTWAVEALONG THE FRNT ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOW QUICKLY FOLLOWS THIS INTIALLOW...BUT IS FORCED FURTHER SOUTH BFR GOING OUT TO SEA.RIDGE/TROUGH PLACEMNT FOR FINAL LOW TUES/WED WILL BRING ANOTHERROUND OF PRECIP TO THE AREA. WAA OVER THE REGION BEGINS TO BREAKDOWN AS WELL AS A RESULT OF LOSS OF UPPER RIDGE. THIS WILL ALLOWFOR TEMPS TO SLOW DROP THRU WEDNESDAY...BRINGING HIGHS/LOWS BACKNEAR NORMAL. BFR THAT...CWA WILL SEE HIGHS NEAR 50F FORSUNDAY...TAPERING TO THE 30S BY NEXT WEDNESDAY. PRECIPITATION FORTHESE LOWS IS LOOKING FOR ALL RAIN INITIALLY SUNDAY...THEN GOINGINTO MONDAY WITH SECOND SHORTWAVE...NORTHERN ZONES WILL SEE WINTRYMIX WITH SYSTEM PASSING TO OUR SOUTH. SFC RIDGE BUILDING INTO ECCANADA BY MIDWEEK NEXT WEEK WILL AID IN KEEPING CAA OVER THE AREA.WILL BE GOING WITH MAINLY -SW FOR FINAL SYSTEM TUES/WED.

Altogether not too bad as far as thaws go.  Not to jinx us or anything.  Hopefully we can get some snow to freshen things up for MLK weekend.

Yesterday's snowburst dropped 0.5" in half an hour, then the temp slid to 25 by 9 PM.  (31/5 for the day)  The midnight snowband remained to my south.  By 5 this morning it was 35 with winds gusting to near that same number, mildest temp at my place since the pre-Christmas rainstorm.  Currently sunny here in AUG.  At 10 AM they were 40 with winds 23G35.

Meh... pretty boring weather.  Luckily the models don't show all that much rain during this warm up... a couple shots but for the most part each one of the chances looks like low QPF. 

Very slow melt has commenced and as of this evening, I'm down to 10.5-11" of snow depth.  Stowe Village CoCoRAHS had 11.5" this morning, so looks like we probably lost about a half inch to an inch today with temps in the 35-37F range all day.

It'll be interesting to watch the snow depths change over the next couple days.

today was night and day depending on elevation.  at the Stowe base area parking lot on 108, warm, sunny and slushy. spring-like. wind picked up into the notch on the road.  full on winter at the top of the notch, with howling wind and cold, dry (albeit wind-affected) snow.

the difference between a sheltered 1500' and an exposed 2100' was intense.

the VT national guard made an appearance today up in the notch, replete with sweet special German troop carrier snowcat, mixed-ice root climbing and vertical ice climbing, and all sorts of skills training and gear.  looked good.   

today was night and day depending on elevation.  at the Stowe base area parking lot on 108, warm, sunny and slushy. spring-like. wind picked up into the notch on the road.  full on winter at the top of the notch, with howling wind and cold, dry (albeit wind-affected) snow.

the difference between a sheltered 1500' and an exposed 2100' was intense.

the VT national guard made an appearance today up in the notch, replete with sweet special German troop carrier snowcat, mixed-ice root climbing and vertical ice climbing, and all sorts of skills training and gear.  looked good.   

Aspect is starting to matter a little bit... the lower elevation south facing stuff at Spruce Peak softened to a little skin crust on the snow, while anything on Mansfield (east to north facing) stayed dry from top to bottom.  Good chalky and wind-blown powder.  The 1" that fell last night was dense and with high winds knocking more snow out of the trees, a lot of the glades skied like 3-6" of snow fell.  Amazing how once you take a lot of the snow in the trees and blow it around the mountain, how good of a refresh that can be, haha.

I was listening to the Eye on the Sky broadcast this morning, and heard that Winter Weather Advisories were up for a bit of freezing rain.  I’ve added the advisories map and text from the BTV NWS below:

11JAN13A.jpg

WWUS41 KBTV 110817

WSWBTV

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

317 AM EST FRI JAN 11 2013

NYZ030-031-034-VTZ003-004-006>008-010-012-112030-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0001.130111T2100Z-130112T1200Z/

SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON-WESTERN ESSEX-ORLEANS-ESSEX-

LAMOILLE-CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-ORANGE-WINDSOR-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SARANAC LAKE...TUPPER LAKE...

DANNEMORA...LAKE PLACID...NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...JOHNSON...

STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...MONTPELIER...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...

SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION

317 AM EST FRI JAN 11 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO

7 AM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM

THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 AM EST SATURDAY.

* LOCATIONS...THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACK MOUNTAINS OF NEW YORK AND EASTERN

VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...ICE ACCUMULATIONS UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH.

* TIMING...RAIN WITH PATCHY AREAS OF FREEZING RAIN WILL OVERSPREAD

THE ADVISORY AREA BY LATER THIS AFTERNOON INTO THIS EVENING

BEFORE TAPERING OFF OVERNIGHT.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL DUE TO SLICK ROAD CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...SOUTH 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH ACROSS THE

HIGHER TERRAIN.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE LOWER TO MIDDLE 30S. LOWS IN THE

LOWER TO MIDDLE 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...LOCALLY BELOW 1 MILE IN PATCHY FOG TONIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR

FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR

SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE

DRIVING.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

&&

$$

JMG

Luckily rain amounts tonight look quite light... probably a tenth or so on average, some spot 0.15-0.2" amounts at the summits.

Probably going to be some light glazing in spots tonight, but I sort of see it more in the mid elevations (like 2,000-3,000ft) range at least locally here.  NEK is another ball game.

Newbish question here I hope you won't mind.

It looks like we have the potential for LE snows in upstate NY next week.

From watching this forum it seems like there is some correlation with upslope snow happening in the Greens during the periods we are getting lake effect in upstate NY.

Do you foresee upslope snow potential next week as the cold builds in?

I love the sound of a little ice on the trees combined with a light breeze.  Seems like it's been a long time since I've enjoyed a good ice storm.

Yep, very cool indeed.  That pic is from December 2008. 

And no, we haven't had a good ice event in a while.  I just looked through my photos and the most recent ones I can find with freezing rain accumulation, at least around here, are from March 2011.

Newbish question here I hope you won't mind. It looks like we have the potential for LE snows in upstate NY next week. From watching this forum it seems like there is some correlation with upslope snow happening in the Greens during the periods we are getting lake effect in upstate NY. Do you foresee upslope snow potential next week as the cold builds in?

It’s seems upslope in the Greens really cranks when we have a low pressure system that sits up in the Maritimes and gives us that moist northwest flow, and I bet some of the correlation with LE snows is when the positioning/size of that low pressure also leads to good flow off the eastern Great Lakes.  But, we (and certainly parts of the Adirondacks) do sometimes get blow over from other events that promote LE snows as the first ranges to block the flow to the east.  I think in that case, how much makes it over here probably depends on the size of the LES event and other factors – I’ve seen the Sugarbush/Mad River Glen and Killington areas get decent hits of maybe a half a foot from those types of setups depending on the trajectory.

Looking at the current models, the 00Z ECMWF seems to show a little touch of something Wednesday, and then potentially bigger shots of snow Thursday and Friday, while the 06Z GFS doesn’t seem to have anything Wednesday, but has potential impulses Thursday, then Friday, then a more potent looking one Saturday/Sunday, and then another more substantial one Monday.  Obviously the ones farther out are more tentative/tenuous.

The beautiful thing about the Greens, especially the Central and to the greatest extent the Northern Greens, is that they can pull 6-12” out of these little events sometimes and it seems like magic.  That’s one of the reasons the Northern Greens have those 300”+ annual snowfall numbers, it’s those extra “magical” non-synoptic events that push you past that 300” barrier and get you to that next level.  Hopefully Powderfreak, adk, and the other skiers/mets can give you more details and thoughts, I know Powderfreak has watched many of these events unfold and he’ll have some great comments (no pressure PF, LOL).

What a miserable looking point/click forecast:

.SATURDAY...CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE MID 40S. SOUTH WINDS AROUND 5 MPH..SATURDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. PATCHY FOG. LOWS IN THE UPPER 30S.SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH..SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY FOG. A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THEAFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S. SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH. CHANCEOF RAIN 30 PERCENT..SUNDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN. PATCHY FOG.LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S..MONDAY...CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS IN THE MID40S..MONDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY IN THE EVENING...THEN BECOMING PARTLY CLOUDY.LOWS AROUND 30..TUESDAY...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IN THEMORNING...THEN A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE MID30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40 PERCENT.

Some views of the snowy Greens... these mountains have just gotten crushed with snow over the past 3 weeks. 

IMG_1453_edited-2.jpg

Love that shot – we’ll be on the mountain Sunday, should be some nice soft snow for turns.  Once things cool back down next week, we’ll probably need to get the upslope/LES or something cranking at some point for things to be softened up for MLK weekend.

Maybe a few icy spots out there, but we're approaching 32.0F from the wrong direction. High was 35F and it's now 32.2F with a few -SHRA. There's a little more wiggle room with a td of 29F, but any water that tries to freeze is just going to put more heat right back into the BL.

Why am I not surprised. Was going to go riding this wknd, but looking too warm. Next wknd could be a no-go as well. Wth?! It's freakin' january. Trails were starting to shape up around here.

That's why I went riding this afternoon (was off after an early afternoon funeral). I wanted to get a ride in before the trails took a beating. Anyway, only ran into a few sprinkles and that had stopped by the time we got home half an hour ago. Temp is 31F at my house right now.

Archived