• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

Yeah, we picked up a fluffy 0.3" overnight here--I was surprised myself.

Got down to 9F but back up to 14F now.

Arctic squalls tonight? We're going to a party in Montpelier--probably hit right when we're driving home. ;)

Looks like there is a dusting out on my car. Oh well it covers up the yellow snow spots out back.

LOL, off the back deck or canine in nature?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that December is done (anything that falls between 6am today and 6am tomorrow will be lumped into January), my Mansfield snow data tells the tale of like two seperate months. The difference between the first half and second half is remarkable. The total for the month is 43" at 1,500ft and 67" at 3,000ft.

From December 1 to December 16, I only recorded a concerning 2.0" at 1,500ft and 3.0" at 3,000ft. That has to be some sort of record for this mountain and those elevations for the first 15 days of December.

After sitting at a cumulative 35" at 3,000ft on December 1st, to be sitting at 38" on December 16th was concerning.

Then a switch was flipped. From December 17 through this morning, December 31st, I have recorded 41" at 1,500ft and 64" at 3,000ft.

Here's the comparison...

Dates..........1,500ft.....3,000ft....Days with measurable snow

December 1-16........2"..............3"...................2 of 16

December 17-31.....41"............64".................12 of 15

What's also interesting, and I've found this to be pretty consistent over the last 5 years of snow measuring, is that 1,500ft usually ends up with 2/3rds of the snowfall that 3,000ft has. It was very consistent this past month, even though there were some large differences in some storms due to elevation (rain at base and snow at top). Other storms (like the nor'easter) which are synoptic and forcing is way up in the atmosphere, the difference in elevation is not great at all. It all does seem to average out to 2/3rds over time.

Measurable 1" or greater snowfall in the previous 24 hours at 6am....on 12 of the last 15 days. That's pretty awesome. Total snowfall since November 1st at 3,000ft is 102".

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.01” L.E.

I wasn’t expecting to be measuring snow this morning, but there was a surprise 0.7” of fluff on the snowboard, consistent with what others have seen. Perhaps this excerpt from this morning’s BTV NWS discussion covers its origin:

WEAK WARM AIR ADVECTION OUT AHEAD OF THE FRONT HAS RESULTED IN SPOTTY LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS (FLURRIES) ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTHERN NEW YORK AND VERMONT EARLY THIS MORNING.

I stacked three cores of snow and the average revealed a hundredth of an inch of liquid in there.

This is the “second half of December that just keeps on giving”. December 31 snowfall still goes into December stats in my case, so I’ll have to see what happens the rest of today, but with 6 to 12-hour style measurements, the month has now delivered 49.2” of snow with greater than 95% of that coming in the second half of the month. Extrapolating a pattern like this out for the entire month would have produced quite an impressive result, beating out even December ’07 (67.2”) and December ’08 (55.9”), but as it is this month comes in a strong third place in my records and is currently 32.0% above average. This month will certainly be remembered for its dramatic snowfall recovery (and for many of us the skiing and other winter recreation activities that went with it).

Total liquid for the month is now at 6.31”, notably higher than the previous two Decembers

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 70.0

Snow Density: 1.4% H2O

Temperature: 21.0 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy/Light Snow/Flurries (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

.2 of an inch on the car this morning. (white not yellow)

Roger that. Got a fair bit of that myself. Our pooch loves to leave her mark all over my shoveled paths. ;)

Light snow still falling here. More mood flakes than anything but they're stacking up a little bit.

Love these patterns when we get light snows at the drop of a hat.

Roger that. Got a fair bit of that myself. Our pooch loves to leave her mark all over my shoveled paths. ;)

The part I don't like is when the melt starts and I have layers of dog mess to clean up as the history of the snowpack is stripped away. That picture is not current- our snowpack isn't that high. I think that is Feb 2011.

Looking at the interactive snow model this morning and found that this is the most snow on the ground for this time period, end of December, in at least 10 years. I am also referring to most or all of New England too. It could be even longer than that, but the data ends there. We have 3 snow storms now without any melt. This is exactly the kind of winter I like. Even looking forward to the cold next week.

I'm surprised this year tops 2007, though all those SWFEs were very latitude-dependent for p-type, and some SNE points near saltwater were nearly snowless. However, I reached to about 30" as the 7.5" event on 12/31/07 was finishing, and this year's top depth has been 15" (which still puts 12/2012 in the top 1/3 of my 15 yr here for Dec snow depth.)

Most snow I found for Sat-Sun was cocorahs obs from Cooper, about 20 miles SW of Calais, with 20".

Edit:

PF, same kind of half-month split for MBY:

Dec 1-15: 2.6", 1 day with 1"+.

Dec 16-31: 27.4", 8 days with 1"+.

what a great week of winter weather. the landscape really changed.

P.S.- PF, those pics in the ski thread were really something. thanks for sharing those.

Thanks dude. We gotta meet up for some turns sometime this winter.

And yes, the landscape has really changed in the last week or two... at all elevations.

I was clearing the 3,000ft snow board this morning and it looks like the Candy Land forest up there. Its like what you dream about, with trees just absolutely caked and smaller trees slowly becoming buried snow cones.

These are 6-8 foot tall evergreens that are slowly getting engulfed in the snow near my snowstake. I'll have to see what happens with them throughout the season.

IMG_0988_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0981_edited-1.jpg

This is like a 15-20 foot high tree that's only a storm or two away from becoming a snow cone.

IMG_0994_edited-1.jpg

Then a switch was flipped. From December 17 through this morning, December 31st, I have recorded 41" at 1,500ft and 64" at 3,000ft.

Here's the comparison...

Dates..........1,500ft.....3,000ft....Days with measurable snow

December 1-16........2"..............3"...................2 of 16

December 17-31.....41"............64".................12 of 15

Total snowfall since November 1st at 3,000ft is 102".

The snow measuring plot is looking great now after a very slow first half of December.

IMG_0993_edited-1.jpg

Looking back towards my traverse through the forest... long live snow and winter.

IMG_0983_edited-1.jpg

Event totals: 1.7” Snow/0.10” L.E.

We picked up 0.3” of snow yesterday evening before midnight that I’ll throw into my December snow total, and then there was another 1.4” on the board this morning that will go into January. So, December 2012 snowfall goes into my books with an above average 49.5”, it edges out December 2010 (46.0”) to end up in third place for my December snowfall records, and it bumps the December mean about an inch here to 42.7 ± 16.9”.

Waterbury observations:

12:00 A.M.

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 31.6 F

Sky: Moderate Snow (1-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

6:00 A.M.

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.6

Snow Density: 6.4% H2O

Temperature: 20.7 F

Sky: Flurries (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

Happy New Year NNE folks! May 2013 bring many storms to track, and a healthy, happy, and prosperous year to everyone.

The cove we live on is iced up and snow covered (Arrowsic Island in the background). December may have started above average, but finished with nice snow cover and colder temps here on the mid coast.

snowy-cove.jpg

Another awful day of skiing ;)

What an amazing two weeks...another 3-4" of snow overnight to fill everything back in. It like skiing through the Candy Land forest out there with feet of snow just caking everything.

531423_10101463014099880_1597131152_n.jpg

It is a beautiful world we live in.

Yeah, definitely some snow in the higher elevations now. This is what 67" of snow since December 15th looks like.

...2012 WAS THE WARMEST YEAR ON RECORD AT BURLINGTON VERMONT...

2012 WAS THE WARMEST YEAR ON RECORD AT BURLINGTON VERMONT...WITH A

HISTORICAL DATABASE DATING BACK TO 1884. THE YEARLY MEAN

TEMPERATURE WAS 50.0 DEGREES...OR 4.0 DEGREES ABOVE THE 1981-2010

AVERAGE OF 46.0 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE PREVIOUS YEARLY RECORD OF

48.4 DEGREES SET IN 1998. THE NEW TOP 5 ANNUAL MEAN TEMPERATURES

CAN BE SEEN BELOW:

1- 50.0 (2012)

2- 48.4 (1998)

3- 48.2 (2006)

4- 48.1 (2010)

5- 48.1 (1898)

$$

MUCCILLI

Some pictures from yesterday and today.  The first one was taken yesterday in Washington, VT with my 8 year old son sitting on the snowmobile.

post-363-0-23488900-1357086159_thumb.jpg

The next one was taken today here in Barre Town.  It is a view of Camel's Hump.  Unfortunately, my cell phone pic does not do it justice.

post-363-0-25969100-1357086289_thumb.jpg

This one is taken from the same spot as the previous one but shows more of the Worcester Range and even a peek at PF Land.

post-363-0-66489300-1357086373_thumb.jpg

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="eyewall" data-cid="1976182" data-time="1357072498"><p>

I skied smuggs today but the wind got nasty around 2pm so I called it at that point. Otherwise it was not crowded at all and a good day to be out there.</p></blockquote>i was also at smuggs, single digits all day with a wind, i lasted until 345 only because my 11 year old would have no part of an early departure, wind chill doesnt affect kids..WC had to be 10-25 below, small crowds, slopes were getting icy in spots,they need a powder refresh over there..er strwe are taking a drive to montreal tomorrow, 20 inches on the ground there according to someone from montreal we met at smuggs today

Happy New Year NNE folks! May 2013 bring many storms to track, and a healthy, happy, and prosperous year to everyone.

The cove we live on is iced up and snow covered (Arrowsic Island in the background). December may have started above average, but finished with nice snow cover and colder temps here on the mid coast.

That's gorgeous.....Maine is going to see some really cold temperatures in the next few days, and into the middle of January, with the PV so close by in Eastern Canada. 18z GFS keeps a pool of -30C 850s in Labrador so finally we have some homegrown cold, which is very beneficial to eastern regions of New England. 

Archived