Newest Member
    northernriwx
December Forecast Discussion

Wow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surface temps?

Since the cold digs so quickly, by the onset of the majority of the precip the 2m temps are at freezing or below from CTL to NE coast of NC, so verbatim this run is pretty good for Central NC or the triangle area.

Well no one seems to have posted it but the Euro shows a totally different solution with a really strong apps runner and temps no where close. 6z was close with the solution at 00z but has it off the coast. This should probably be watched more closely. GFS is adamant about the storm for this weekend and Euro has been hit or miss but is slowly coming around to the GFS it seems. It might be a bit weenish but the Euro isn't always right.

Well no one seems to have posted it but the Euro shows a totally different solution with a really strong apps runner and temps no where close. 6z was close with the solution at 00z but has it off the coast. This should probably be watched more closely. GFS is adamant about the storm for this weekend and Euro has been hit or miss but is slowly coming around to the GFS it seems. It might be a bit weenish but the Euro isn't always right.

yeah, obviously it's something to watch for now. One significant problem I see (other than it's 7-8 days away) is a lack of a true cold air source. Ultimately this is probably not going to pan out well for most of us, but we'll see.

yeah, obviously it's something to watch for now. One significant problem I see (other than it's 7-8 days away) is a lack of a true cold air source. Ultimately this is probably not going to pan out well for most of us, but we'll see.

Yea with no real model consensus even with it self on the 6z run it's probably just a burp....but the LR GFS has been consistent with something going on in this time frame so it might not be totally out to lunch. Guess we'll know by say Wed.

And the pacific is still a trainwreck.

Are you looking for the perfect pattern? Did you even see what the GFS ensembles are wanting to do in the Pacific?

Just to add, I think some re wanting the perfect pattern to fall into place. We can still have below normal temps and get snow with a -pna. If and I mean If the block retrogrades over to the Davis Straits we will have chances. I think the Pacific will improve towards the end of the month.

Blocking!!!

http://raleighwx.ame...nomalyNH276.gif

http://raleighwx.ame...nomalyNH372.gif

continued on the 6z too

Now the Euro only goes out to 240 publicly

http://raleighwx.ame...nomalyNH240.gif

Those warm anomalies look great over Greenland! In my opinion, the pacific also doesn't look too bad in these charts either. I'm cautiously optimistic as we continue our journey into winter. It's great that the ensembles are pushing this blocking and not just a single run of a model.

The pacific won't matter if we get that kinda -AO/-NAO setup. We won't have mega cold, but we'll have snow chances. Whether or not we can capitalize is a different story.

The block is in a great place but the aleutian high and the west coast trough are deal breakers imo. Not to mention one of those maps is a 372 and the other two are 10 days plus. The fact that they all show a bad pac is concerning even at 10 to 16 days out considering that setup has dominated to date.

I think the safest thing to do, given the persistence of the patter this winter, and gasp, last winter, is to lean in the direction of the dominant pattern to date. At some point it'll flip or break down for a time, but so far, blocks in the 10+ timeframe have either failed to materialize or have been weaker than intitially advertised, and the bad Pacific has dominated the pattern with warmth. As long as the bad Pac still shows up throughout the model runs, even though strong blocking shows up, it makes the most sense to accept the bad Pac as true and reject the strong, west-based blocking as false....if and until such features start to appear differently in shorter lead times or until something else starts to excert a stronger influence on the pattern, i.e. the stratosphere, the mjo, etc.

This is true, of course.

Usually how "good" pattern changes work for us is that the GFS shows it in the 10-12 day range for about 2-3 weeks, then it starts showing up on the 8-10 day Euro for 1-2 week, then there is another week delay, then we start getting some shots.

So, I'd say early/mid-January is a good bet.

The block is in a great place but the aleutian high and the west coast trough are deal breakers imo. Not to mention one of those maps is a 372 and the other two are 10 days plus. The fact that they all show a bad pac is concerning even at 10 to 16 days out considering that setup has dominated to date.

I appreciate this post as well -- hope we don't start seeing posts like this criticized as being "Debbie Downers" or anything. We wouldn't be on this board if we weren't rooting for winter weather, but rooting for it and forecasting it are mutually exclusive.

I think the safest thing to do, given the persistence of the patter this winter, and gasp, last winter, is to lean in the direction of the dominant pattern to date. At some point it'll flip or break down for a time, but so far, blocks in the 10+ timeframe have either failed to materialize or have been weaker than intitially advertised, and the bad Pacific has dominated the pattern with warmth. As long as the bad Pac still shows up throughout the model runs, even though strong blocking shows up, it makes the most sense to accept the bad Pac as true and reject the strong, west-based blocking as false....if and until such features start to appear differently in shorter lead times or until something else starts to excert a stronger influence on the pattern, i.e. the stratosphere, the mjo, etc.

The first image is 0hrs off the oz ensemble mean. Looking at the 500mb chart the Pacific looks okay, Ridge on the west coast. but look up in eastern Canada low heights. The nao is very east based so we are under a ridge. Now the second image is the same run of the Euro ensemble mean for 168 hours. The pna drops off very negative but the Greenland block retrogrades west over the Davis strait area. Now look at the heights in the southeast.00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH000.gif00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH168.gif

Mega cold usually means very dry for us and you end up with a suppressed storm track. I'm already watching a close call to my south on Wednesday. Could really use the rain around here.

Definitely agree with this (although I don't expect any mega cold stints apart from the possibility of a day or two shot at some point).

But look at the 850mb temp anomalies (Euro Ens). They are above normal from hr120 on forward, dropping to normal at hr240...all the below normal anomalies are way to the west, and not moving SE. The pacific ridge placement is fine at hr zero, but problematic at hr240.

They are more above normal today than at anytime during the end of the run when the block starts getting established. And today the Pacific is the best it will look compared to the entire run.Today then out to 240.

00zecmwfenshourly850mbTempAnomalyNA000.gif

00zecmwfenshourly850mbTempAnomalyNA240.gif

Mega cold usually means very dry for us and you end up with a suppressed storm track. I'm already watching a close call to my south on Wednesday. Could really use the rain around here.

Well, Kyle, the good news is they are suppressed, not disappeared, lol. In Jan/Feb I'd be happy to see the track running them down there, because I know they'll probably pull north closer to the day. And the cold, cold that would push them down there isn't on the map, so maybe we end up getting the full brunt mid week, and late weekend/early next week :) A gulf tap is a gulf tap even if it benefits Macon and Valdosta and not so much Griffin and Faytteville...at least it is a step in the right direction even if it verifies as depicted today, instead of 4 days ago. Today's event will tell us a lot about the next two...maybe. Already it looks on radar like we get shafted, but if it verifies better, then I'll be feeling more positive about later.

Ok, grasping at straws here, lol. T

Well, at least we have some stuff to follow. Still, I don't think we have a real shot at anything until that Pacific trough weakens. The pattern might be more active, but if it doesn't produce snow, I don't care. We'd have to get something really good to overpower the Pacific with the way it is now.

what pac trough? Right now the PNA is basically neutral or slightly negative. If we had a strong west based NAO right now we'd be in business but that's our problem currently. PNA is also progged to go neutral as we get well into December so as long as we get that -NAO -ao combo we'll be good to go. Those two should overwhelm any non-positive PNA in place. That's fairly basic but that's how I understand it, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived