northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December Forecast Discussion

Wow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the ECMWF presents quite a blocky pattern by day 10.

The GFS first started showing some ridging around Greenland and eastern Canada a few days ago, valid at this time, so now it has support from the supposed almighty. Not to bash models, but a few days ago one thing that caught my eye in the longer range was the Atlantic cold vortex just southeast of Greenland and how large it was. It is probably going to help build or carve out the blocking ridge in and around Greenland, but so far it's not all that impressive. What it will do though is cause shorter wavelengths from the systems coming in from the West Coast in this strong -PNA pattern, so things will get pushed south and get jammed up on the East coast. You can see that on the operationals, but not the ensembles, so be looking for some wild swings on the operationals in coming days. The sky is the limit on p-types by early next week's storm. ECMWF has been inching ever more south and east with that storm, and by then could be using that strong Eastern Storm to create a new 50/50, which accentuates the blocky Canada/Greenland, meaning the next system also takes an even further south track.

It's an unusual flow and a very unusual alignment of indices coming up, so the models are playing catch up to the indices, rather than vice versa. Even with -PNA and -NAO coming up, there could be stormy conditions on both coasts, and we dont' see that much with just enough cold air to work with on some parts of the upper Southeast /Apps/East Coast.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the ECMWF make a really big deal of the East Coast storm early next week in future runs. The ensembles all have strong neg. anomalies here by then and decent blocking in Baffin Island, a climo good spot. Cold air will be at a premium south of I-40 but with the trends and models catching on to this possible 50/50 low and -NAO pattern, they could trend a little cooler, but probably not much. Depending on what happens with that early next week storm, the next storm could be very interesting as well, with a very strong -NAO pattern and 50/50 placed just right...storminess is definitely coming. So it's a far cry from last Winter with temps coming down to closer to average, as opposed to the upper 70s daily. Still think the Southeast will average above normal temps overall in most of the SE when December closes though, but the last of the month could be the polar opposite of the first of the month.

Thx, but plenty of time for things to fall apart again lol. The models have been extremely volatile and I don't see any reason they won't continue until the blocking up in Canada/ Greenland actually sets up and changes the pattern.

These two posts gave me tingles :lol: It will be interesting to see what both models show this next week or so. Nothing better than a little model madness as winter begins in the south. ^_^

These two posts gave me tingles :lol: It will be interesting to see what both models show this next week or so. Nothing better than a little model madness as winter begins in the south. ^_^

Yeah, its nice when the two models are both showing two significant storms not in fantasy 300+ hours and two great mets are posting often.

the pattern could totally reverse (wouldn't surprise me). Some medium range stuff is showing that. I've been all for a somewhat supressed flow coming up and the models are now explicitly starting to show that. It's still going to be tough at first to get cold enough air much below central ARK-TN-NC line but the trends are definitely in that direction. Even forecasting days 5 and 6 will become a problem soon until the pattern in Canada gets established.

I think you can pull us thru again, Start it!!! :popcorn: The CFSv2 has been showing snow around Christmas time for a sometime...

Not feeling it just yet. :). That might have been a one in a million thing. But I am liking what I'm seeing over the last few cycles. I think a pattern shift or even a reversal is possible, but it might play out just a little slower than what we're seeing today, at least. Looking forward to finding out.

Well, the GFS, via Meteostar was giving me two inches around this time frame some days ago, and on que I pulled in about an inch and a half today. So Goofy, might seem goofy sometimes, but I find it will hone in on a general storm pattern, and get pretty close. I'm curious to see what Wed. does, and early next week. I still think get the rains first, and the cold will come. If these next two systems don't stay so suppressed or fritter away, and give me more gold, I think the future looks bright for winter weather with a roller coaster, and some good timing come Jan. and Feb. Some 1 to 3 inch rains into 33 degrees, if nothing else. Got to break this drought, and that's the way to do it. Winter rains in a normal winter. And looking down the dim depths of my winters past, this month, so far, isn't unusual to me. Just another warmish early December out of many. T

The entire pattern turns a bit wild and crazy after the 12/19 storm. Almost pulls off a rollover ridge as the GFS cuts off a big UL south of the GOA. If this feature does come to pass, should it continue to trend further south, that should completely reverse the pattern of a +EPO/-PNA which we've been stuck with recently.

The entire pattern turns a bit wild and crazy after the 12/19 storm. Almost pulls off a rollover ridge as the GFS cuts off a big UL south of the GOA. If this feature does come to pass, should it continue to trend further south, that should completely reverse the pattern of a +EPO/-PNA which we've been stuck with recently.

I was going to comment on that. It's probably related to the MJO phase 1 we're moving towards. Looks like those talking about that were right when it comes to possibly altering the pacific pattern.

I was going to comment on that. It's probably related to the MJO phase 1 we're moving towards. Looks like those talking about that were right when it comes to possibly altering the pacific pattern.

Without question. The SOI hit -48 today.. huge drop...it began nosediving a couple of days ago. That starts the countdown.. give it 10 to 14 days to feel the full effects with the MJO bursting onto the scene with a the STJ revving up again... GFS sees the chaos about to ensue during that time frame.

That's an active STJ!

oKD27.gif

But in my mind there's really only one reason we're going to have a pattern change and it's this:

Delayed but not denied.

Agreed..it was only a matter of time until the pattern reflected such deeply negative values. Its not really surprising to me tho.. in my eyes the first couple of weeks of December were just a hiccup in a blocky pattern that has been established most of the fall. It will be interesting to see how deep the next negative spike gets

DR NO is in the house.Major difference between the GFS an EURO...especially by the time you get to hour 192

00zeuro500mbHGHTNA192.gif

00zgfs500mbHGHTNA192.gif

either way, as others have alluded to, there is a lack of a true arctic air source for this thing to work with, or so it seems at this moment. Going to be difficult to see any meaningful snow in the SE without it.

Archived