• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December Banter

WilkesboroDude

So today I bought a Christmas Tree and burned leaves in shorts and a tanktop. Even broke a sweat a few times. I would just enjoy the usual southern Christmas weather of 60/40, cloudy with a chance of rain. Summer in December is no fun.

My AC is on! And will be for the next 10 days at a minimum.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a very enjoyable walk today in Savannah this evening. The temp. was very comfy/pleasant for walking...65...and I got to wear shorts, which are much more comfy for walking. There's always an upside to mild days in winter for me and this is it.

Just because people say its not going to be cold and/or snowy doesn't make them negative or cliff jumpers. The weather can be unpredictable to some extent but even that is an overstatement, as models and pattern recognition can take a lot of the guess work out of it. The odds are this winter has a better chance at being warmer than normal than being colder than normal, there is no arguing that. Nobody is saying its going to be an end to end torch like last year but December is going to torch, I think that's fairly evident by now. So now the question is what does Jan/Feb have in store...with the -PDO dominating so far why would it stop dominating in Jan/Feb. I think we will get a few cold shots but its hard to imagine any winter event of substance without the pacific improving and that doesn't look likely.

Well then - that's that isn't it.

In the "off" chance winter is cold - these posts have been archived for future studies in how to play Fact or Crap. Good luck. It will be interesting to find out who wins...

Well then - that's that isn't it.

In the "off" chance winter is cold - these posts have been archived for future studies in how to play Fact or Crap. Good luck. It will be interesting to find out who wins...

I am not going out on that big a limb...As it's going to take a long cold spell to just overcome the first 2 weeks of December torching, and if It torches until Dec 20, it will be near impossible to catch up for this winter. I wouldn't be surprised if Jan/Deb are normal but will be surprised if they are below normal and if this winter averages colder when it's all said and done.

I am not going out on that big a limb...As it's going to take a long cold spell to just overcome the first 2 weeks of December torching, and if It torches until Dec 20, it will be near impossible to catch up for this winter. I wouldn't be surprised if Jan/Deb are normal but will be surprised if they are below normal and if this winter averages colder when it's all said and done.

You know I'm mostly janking with you right? Not completely....but mostly.

We are about to lose over 20% of met winter to a warm pattern. I'm not shocked we have a few upset posters in here.

I remember the years when I was a kid growing up here in NC. There were more Decembers like this one than the very cold ones but I have never seen a winter that was snow-less even after a warm Dec. Heck even last winter we had a a small snow event. December 1976 had some warmth and we all know what happened come January. I know that it was a different pattern but it doesn't mean that we are doomed. Bottom line is that we need to step back and take a breath, look at all the players on the field and then try to realize the possibilities. There are some good signs and then there are some not-so-good ones. Keep your chin up and be patient folks.

As if good walking wx and lower heating bills weren't enough reason to make people here content, consider that Dec. cold tends to be drier cold than cold later in the season as evidenced by a relative lack of S/IP. So, at least people aren't complaining about it being wasted cold or dry cold that so many here seem to loathe. I know that Brick, among others, prefers warm and dry to cold and dry. Bottom line: the more vocal posters here seem to lean to wanting wintry precip. or else no cold at all. OTOH, I enjoy both dry cold and wintry precip. The dry cold is a nice change and still allows me to walk albeit bundled up and it helps lower the bug pop. come spring.

I remember the years when I was a kid growing up here in NC. There were more Decembers like this one than the very cold ones but I have never seen a winter that was snow-less even after a warm Dec. Heck even last winter we had a a small snow event. December 1976 had some warmth and we all know what happened come January. I know that it was a different pattern but it doesn't mean that we are doomed. Bottom line is that we need to step back and take a breath, look at all the players on the field and then try to realize the possibilities. There are some good signs and then there are some not-so-good ones. Keep your chin up and be patient folks.

Seconded.

Just have a banter thread and a Snow Weenie Long Range Garbage Map thread. That way, you can keep the Banter thread banter only and you can have a Weenie thread that people, who want to seriously discuss weather, can avoid. Problem solved.

If it has come to this, which I think it has...seconded!

As much as I post and get slammed for...

I am a broke college student, I may eventually donate tho when I get a job.

Man, I lived on beenie weenies, kraft mac and cheese, and hamburger helper back in the broke college days. Actually, come to think of it, those are all cornerstones of my diet now. :)

It's hard to know what to think about this pattern change. Matthew East and others still say it's coming later this month, and we need it to have any chance of having snow around here, while others like Allan Huffman don't even mention a pattern change and sound like they are ready to cancel winter all together because the trough will never break.

They'll have to deal with it lol :P

We don't talk about ourselves very much anyway. Besides, I don't think anyone from the carolinas mind because the carolina folks are class acts. That is why we have always gotten along and they are such a great group on this board..maybe the best.

But Wow Larry, I don't know what to say. I really really appreciate such kind words. And as you said, coming from someone like yourself, who I have so much respect for, being such a great poster, being so respectful to everyone, and being so knowledgeable that really means lot...it truly does. I don't know if I'm as good as you say I am but thank you so very much. :D

You might not agree but I don't think *anyone*, including perry, is more knowledgeable about atlanta weather, climo, and history as you since you started posting. Perry was great as far as history and storms long ago but the research and data you post is just incredible and there is no one on this board that I've ever seen post the things you do. I'm dead serious about that.

I just wish you would do it for athens :lol::P

Anyway, your post made me blush actually lol. But I'm so grateful though that we have you.

Once again though, I truly am blown away by your very kind words. I truly do thank you Larry and it really means a lot to me :)

Moved from the What not to post thread, lol.

+10 on Larry, Chris and Perry!! And thanks, Larry, but I think it's the ice cream talking, lol.

I learned a lot from you guys on weather in Ga. and weather in general. This board is a blessing to the weather info starved!!

Larry, I think of you and Perry as peas in the same pod. I sure hope he comes back this winter. I can see why he wasn't around last year, as last year wasn't around either :) And, Chris, you are indeed The Man, except for your ever expanding rain hole you keep dragging over here, and the snow nexus, you keep hogging for yourself...yes, I won't easily foget that snow train you got over you two years back when I got a lousy inch :) But if I need to know what is possible in Ga. in the next 24 hours, and what is happening in the column, all I need to do is look for your posts.

Ga. posters make up in quality what we lack in quantity...I'm sure glad we got Delta back, because I think Macon is going to play a part in this winter, when the long awaited Central Ga. Sleet Dump comes to TonyTown, and I so glad we've got the CandyMan now. Can't wait to hear him when he gets hail for the first time, or sleet in feet! And I even cherish Greg, though I think he still has reservations about my snow flakes as big as pizza plates testimony, lol.

If we ever have a battle where the ability to deal with intense frustration, and crippling disappointment scattered with rare moments of bliss, is greatly needed, then having Ga. folks at your side will keep you safe :)

Now...for an important question....Where The Heck is SnoJoe???? I miss you boy, get you butt back from Tahiti!!! There is nothing for you there!! T

It's hard to know what to think about this pattern change. Matthew East and others still say it's coming later this month, and we need it to have any chance of having snow around here, while others like Allan Huffman don't even mention a pattern change and sound like they are ready to cancel winter all together because the trough will never break.

It's changing alright, just not for the better for the SE. I am hoping by Dec 20th or so or so we start seeing some changes coming together for early January. December is still toast for the SE, atleast through Xmas, anyone who says otherwise is reaching....

Archived