joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who posted that image on facebook to show others is a Class A Certified :weenie:

and by that image I mean a 16 day GFS snowfall map...for heavens sake...

Indeed, no doubt. My sister, for some reason, follows that page and sent it to me. I about fell out of my chair when I saw how serious they were.

The December forecast thread is giving me a large headache....some dude from Alaska is now the greatest forecaster ever and everyone else's forecasts are trash (actualy just decimated), quotes from the 450 hr ECMWF charts, forecasts backed up with the JMA and some other model since they are consistent (consistently bad is a form of consistency too)...."From what I heard about the models" (try looking at them yourself! then again)....Thanks for letting me vent!

The December forecast thread is giving me a large headache....some dude from Alaska is now the greatest forecaster ever and everyone else's forecasts are trash (actualy just decimated), quotes from the 450 hr ECMWF charts, forecasts backed up with the JMA and some other model since they are consistent (consistently bad is a form of consistency too)...."From what I heard about the models" (try looking at them yourself! then again)....Thanks for letting me vent!

Just an observation, but it seems weenieism is really strong this season with several folks. It's on the negative side now but I imagine if/when we get to the point of actually tracking specific storms, some people are going to really come unglued with the run to run QPF reports and such. It does get old sifting through all the extreme emotions to get at the meaty discussion. Gonna be a long winter.

I've been a lurker since the eastern days, during the winter of 06/07.

I have to say, that since the old forum was killed off, and american started, in all of its subforum glory, the weenieism has certainly gotten out of control.

Seems like 75% of the posts in the SE forum would have been purged immediately in the old days. I don't want to see 300 plus hour fantasy storms. I know where to find them if I get the hankering. If we would go back to publicly humiliating noobs, it would be a better place. More folks would read more and post less.

This place has nearly devolved into the accuweather forums. The only reason I still show up is to scan for posts from red taggers, and a few respectable amatuers. Makes me sad.

I've been a lurker since the eastern days, during the winter of 06/07.

I have to say, that since the old forum was killed off, and american started, in all of its subforum glory, the weenieism has certainly gotten out of control.

Seems like 75% of the posts in the SE forum would have been purged immediately in the old days. I don't want to see 300 plus hour fantasy storms. I know where to find them if I get the hankering. If we would go back to publicly humiliating noobs, it would be a better place. More folks would read more and post less.

This place has nearly devolved into the accuweather forums. The only reason I still show up is to scan for posts from red taggers, and a few respectable amatuers. Makes me sad.

Highly doubt that. I am sure you can knit pick one or at the most two people, throw them on ignore, and the problem will be solved for you. You then can go back to reading limited...but high quality posts...which there is also a option for if you wanted that turned on I believe.

Okay,

So I've been coming here as well, maybe since the 07/08 winter. I've decided that the time has come for me to post my thoughts of what I feel about what I've seen since I came in.

I'm tired of the negativity and the notion that winter is apparently "over" in early December. You do not need a meteorology degree or expertise in the weather to know this is unscientific and the posts that insinuate this are unworthy to be even posted. The weather is uncontrollable. You will not be able to. We learned this through Hurricane Sandy hitting areas that are not prone to hurricanes.

There are a lot of people I've seen here that understand the weather a whole lot more than me. I'm just a graduate student, 23 years of age. I don't have an understanding of anything more than just reading a basic weather map and I learned a lot of what I know about the weather here. The "540" lines, I would not have even know how to interpret this without being here.

I have many problems with what I've seen here over the last few years. I'm afraid to even post because I don't know how it will be taken. If that's the case, you know there's a serious problem. I've owned a message board before. Albeit, it was not a weather oriented message board, it was a general one. I learned that having structure is important and keeping everyone in line with the discussion is important. However, having too many deterrents, such as "Don't post IMBY projections here", can cause people to be discouraged and leave. Have a place for them to ask so they know. Most people that visit are like me, probably. They just want to know the weather in their areas, or where they may be visiting or where they may have family. If I had seen some posts like this when I first came, I would not have come back solely because I just want to know what the weather will be around me and my family, not the whole region. We learned this a while back. I remember I was in Greensboro during a snowstorm, I don't remember which one, but I do remember we had less snow than just down the road in High Point. It was a substantial difference. Location matters and I want to know what will happen near me, the region as a whole will not necessarily match what I will have. Second, I've noticed that a lot of posts have become off topic and "weenyism" has become rampant. I want to know what the model shows, 24 hours or 300 hours from now. This is a weather message board. You should be able to post these results because it is the weather. Too bad I have noticed that these have become illegal to post.

I've decided that it's time that if changes don't happen with the negativity, I will go find other options to review the weather, or let it play out and actually be excited when it does snow. I want to see actual discussion instead of the negativity and the weeny-ism, and the unscientific notion that winter is over when we haven't even started winter yet. Please take this to heart when discussing the weather, because I am very disappointed in how this message board has performed when I've decided to come here over accuweather solely because of it's detail to southeastern weather. I hope everyone is having a good day, and hopefully has a good remainder of the day.

I think this is where our group is now. Picking apart every little detail in every single post. Wheter good or bad, I think it is here to stay. Maybe the Mods can cut that shiit out on the main Dec thread or any future event specifc threads. Other than that, just curise over people posts. Kind of like looking at a facebook feed. You only read what you want to and skip over the others.

Okay,

So I've been coming here as well, maybe since the 07/08 winter. I've decided that the time has come for me to post my thoughts of what I feel about what I've seen since I came in.

I'm tired of the negativity and the notion that winter is apparently "over" in early December. You do not need a meteorology degree or expertise in the weather to know this is unscientific and the posts that insinuate this are unworthy to be even posted. The weather is uncontrollable. You will not be able to. We learned this through Hurricane Sandy hitting areas that are not prone to hurricanes.

There are a lot of people I've seen here that understand the weather a whole lot more than me. I'm just a graduate student, 23 years of age. I don't have an understanding of anything more than just reading a basic weather map and I learned a lot of what I know about the weather here. The "540" lines, I would not have even know how to interpret this without being here.

I have many problems with what I've seen here over the last few years. I'm afraid to even post because I don't know how it will be taken. If that's the case, you know there's a serious problem. I've owned a message board before. Albeit, it was not a weather oriented message board, it was a general one. I learned that having structure is important and keeping everyone in line with the discussion is important. However, having too many deterrents, such as "Don't post IMBY projections here", can cause people to be discouraged and leave. Have a place for them to ask so they know. Most people that visit are like me, probably. They just want to know the weather in their areas, or where they may be visiting or where they may have family. If I had seen some posts like this when I first came, I would not have come back solely because I just want to know what the weather will be around me and my family, not the whole region. We learned this a while back. I remember I was in Greensboro during a snowstorm, I don't remember which one, but I do remember we had less snow than just down the road in High Point. It was a substantial difference. Location matters and I want to know what will happen near me, the region as a whole will not necessarily match what I will have. Second, I've noticed that a lot of posts have become off topic and "weenyism" has become rampant. I want to know what the model shows, 24 hours or 300 hours from now. This is a weather message board. You should be able to post these results because it is the weather. Too bad I have noticed that these have become illegal to post.

I've decided that it's time that if changes don't happen with the negativity, I will go find other options to review the weather, or let it play out and actually be excited when it does snow. I want to see actual discussion instead of the negativity and the weeny-ism, and the unscientific notion that winter is over when we haven't even started winter yet. Please take this to heart when discussing the weather, because I am very disappointed in how this message board has performed when I've decided to come here over accuweather solely because of it's detail to southeastern weather. I hope everyone is having a good day, and hopefully has a good remainder of the day.

Okay,

I never seen anyone banned for posting how much total snow/sleet whatever they got. Now they may have been told to go to the obvs thread...but again if they are posting the right thread it's no problem. I think the bigger issue is from when folks come on and just ask non stop how much is going to fall for their backyard. I used to do that a lot because it seemed hardly anyone posted about Charlotte....so I did what any reasonable person would do and obsessed about it until I learned and could make my own calls (which are still usually 90% wrong). Whenever I'm posting Euro/GFS totals I usually try to include as much of NC as possible. There is also nothing wrong with asking for snow totals for your backyard in the banter thread. They just try to keep the actual discussion on possible weather very tight...and usually it's only super strict during storm mode. Just my two cents.

I never seen anyone banned for posting how much total snow/sleet whatever they got. Now they may have been told to go to the obvs thread...but again if they are posting the right thread it's no problem. I think the bigger issue is from when folks come on and just ask non stop how much is going to fall for their backyard. I used to do that a lot because it seemed hardly anyone posted about Charlotte....so I did what any reasonable person would do and obsessed about it until I learned and could make my own calls (which are still usually 90% wrong). Whenever I'm posting Euro/GFS totals I usually try to include as much of NC as possible. There is also nothing wrong with asking for snow totals for your backyard in the banter thread. They just try to keep the actual discussion on possible weather very tight...and usually it's only super strict during storm mode. Just my two cents.

I understand. I will say one thing. Like I mentioned earlier, I have learned a lot here and it's invaluable. I do only visit during Hurricane Season and winter, but I am glad that I have had the opportunity to come here and learn from professionals. It's like the weather forecast on the news 24/7.

Well said :wub:

Let this be a warning to everyone. No more fantasy land maps and if you want to complain,or have nothing meaningful to add, keep it in the banter thread. I'm tired of listening to the whining and having to scroll threw the mess in a pinned thread. This is not th MA/NE and the se crew is better than this. :angry:

Okay,

I don't think that's the case at all, I've never been warned for posting what I my interpertation of model showed for MBY. Asking for Mets and more knowledgable folks, IMBY model projections can and does clutter up threads sometimes, and I think that's why it can be frowned upon.

I'm going to say this really loud so everyone can hear: NO ONE IS THROWING IN THE TOWEL. Some just realize that the pattern is not going to yield a favorable wintry pattern for most of December. NO ONE IS SAYING THE WHOLE WINTER IS TOAST. Not yet anyway. ;)

Allan Huffman's blog today certainly had that tone, though. He pretty much threw in the towel for December and said this winter looks warmer than previously thought. We can't get rid of that trough.

I said in the forecast thread that I know things can change quickly, but the trends don't look good right now. I'm hoping we can get lucky and have at least one big snow storm, but it is hard right now to think positive about this winter.

which one of you is posting 16 day GFS snowfall maps on Facebook and getting people all worked up by telling them that it is showing a snowstorm 3 weeks away? ;)

http://www.facebook....&type=1

At least it is something to hope for.

We haven't had a big ice storm around here in years, either. We can't even get those anymore.

It realy is hard to know what to think. Some folks are still positive about a pattern change coming, while others are ready to throw in the towel for December and maybe even the rest of winter.

All I hear when reading these things is the teacher's voice from Charlie Brown cartoons. It's not worth the systolic boost to worry about right now.

Archived