amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Close call on the 0z GFS 108-156...and several short waves moving through this run, active pattern we're about to be in for the end of December? hmm

Yeah, we have to get the pattern more active to have a chance at anything. IT doesn't matter if the cold hair locks in all winter if there are no systems coming our way. It doesn't look like the cold is going to lock in for long at all, though, because the Pacific trough is just too strong. But if we can get get it just cold enough for long enough when a good system comes our way, we're in business. I think this winter might be all or nothing. One huge storm or nothing at all.

12/22 is looking a little interesting. Too bad it is two weeks out.

Yeah, we have to get the pattern more active to have a chance at anything. IT doesn't matter if the cold hair locks in all winter if there are no systems coming our way. It doesn't look like the cold is going to lock in for long at all, though, because the Pacific trough is just too strong. But if we can get get it just cold enough for long enough when a good system comes our way, we're in business. I think this winter might be all or nothing. One huge storm or nothing at all.

12/22 is looking a little interesting. Too bad it is two weeks out.

I do not understand the philosophy that "cold air is wasted without an IP event - so we'd rather not have it".

I would hope we realize the necessity of a cold season. It plays a key role in the air quality of Spring and Summer. It is integral in quelling agricultural war from destructive pests/insects. We need it to be cold - this past Spring and Summer are amplified examples as to why.

I do not understand the philosophy that "cold air is wasted without an IP event - so we'd rather not have it".

I would hope we realize the necessity of a cold season. It plays a key role in the air quality of Spring and Summer. It is integral in quelling agricultural war from destructive pests/insects. We need it to be cold - this past Spring and Summer are amplified examples as to why.

Well, if it's cold and no snow with it, it is a waste. I hate the cold unless it is snowing. Otherwise, it's just miserable and boring. If it's not going to snow, I'd rather have sunny and warmth. I know you can't have the snow without the cold, but if there is no chance of snow with it, I'd rather not have the cold.

Well, if it's cold and no snow with it, it is a waste. I hate the cold unless it is snowing. Otherwise, it's just miserable and boring. If it's not going to snow, I'd rather have sunny and warmth. I know you can't have the snow without the cold, but if there is no chance of snow with it, I'd rather not have the cold.

Did you miss the point all together? Or do you just not care?

lrmodel.png

It's apparent what is happening here:

The Pacific is making war with some sort of blocking beast - who by the way is obviously preoccupied and cannot fight back.

Meanwhile, Bigfoots are corralling humans who are burning their hopes on a spit. I can only assume the cold has driven the 'Squatches out of the PNW.

That's a pretty good LR forecast in my opinion. We'll just have to wait and see if the Bigfoots are a good thing or a bad thing.

lrmodel.png

It's apparent what is happening here:

The Pacific is making war with some sort of blocking beast - who by the way is obviously preoccupied and cannot fight back.

Meanwhile, Bigfoots are corralling humans who are burning their hopes on a spit. I can only assume the cold has driven the 'Squatches out of the PNW.

That's a pretty good LR forecast in my opinion. We'll just have to wait and see if the Bigfoots are a good thing or a bad thing.

First rate analysis. :clap::thumbsup:

So, did no one see the Pacific as being a problem before winter started?

I would venture that it may not have appeared to be *as big* of a problem.

In the long run, it still does not appear to be *as big* of a problem as it was last year. But it will undoubtedly have influence.

Almost everyone thought ENSO would have a positive influence of some sorts but the -PDO is a killer. I think GaWx had concerns about the PDO back early on but was hoping ENSO would be helping and it's not. It's actually neutral negative now, which blows.

I would venture that it may not have appeared to be *as big* of a problem.

In the long run, it still does not appear to be *as big* of a problem as it was last year. But it will undoubtedly have influence.

As Allan pointed out to be over Twitter, 2010-2011 lacked +PNA....so we still don't know how much of a factor it will be if it never really gets there. I still think blocking is more of a deal breaker...I'd take a -NAO over a +PNA any day. I asked him if worrying about the +PNA so much vs the -NAO is a big deal, something along those lines. Some don't see a +PNA and cancel winter, I just don't see that completely. What we're currently seeing is a +PNA trying to evolve, whether it be neutral or + but too far away from the west coast, it's at least present in some form on the LR models.

Allan Huffman@RaleighWx

@_jwall Lack of +PNA does mean less chance of cross-polar flow and tap to cold air in NW Canada/Pole. But 2010-11 lacked +PNA. Still cold.

Archived