• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Looking towards the beginning of December

CoastalWx

Just got back from CT--a little snow in Colchester, nada below Norwich. Looked like there was a lot more when I drove down last evening--of course, one can only see so much from the highway at night.

Back at the Pit now--pretty cool.out here. Sitting at 25.7/2 (yes, that's a 2!!). Looks like the temp hasn't really budged more than half a degree since 7:00a.m.

Nice to see a few flakes in the forecast, even though short-lived ones. Occassional weenie flakes for the time being.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny, I googled "Branstrator north pacific retrogression" to try and turn up some research, and the first results were three eastern us wx threads from the 08-09 season..one of them was this post of yours from december 20th 08, titled "the failure of the -NAO". We eventually got our -NAO block early Jan of that year of course.

http://www.easternus...ure-of-the-nao/

Edit: further down in that thread there is a solid 2am bromance reply by me as well...definitely was blitzed that night :lol:

The last name is "Branstator" and I probably have been butchering the last name this whole time lol. There is a lot of old research done by him on planetary waves, GCMs etc.

Here's an abstract (how thoughtful of me to leave the other guy's name out when talking about their wave. Man I'm 0 for 2 now)

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009EGUGA..11.5445S

And LOL at that eastern thread.

Day 11-15 GEFS doesn't look so bad.

The Alaskan Vortex can still allow for a trough in mid-Dec but it's bad news in early January. The ECMWF is sad but I'll wait to hear from you guys on the ensembles / long term.

The GEFS isn't bad with a full blown retrogression in the N PAC and the development of a North Atlantic plus anomaly. It would basically suggest a very active Midwest and New England pattern.

Meanwhile...GFS and NAM would be decent for my first inch of snow up here. I might be the last place in New England lol. 11/7 most of SNE and parts of CNE got 1"+, far NNE has had a few minor events and then the arctic front last night. Some places got a few inches Tuesday. Everything has avoided me very efficiently.

Nope.

The Alaskan Vortex can still allow for a trough in mid-Dec but it's bad news in early January. The ECMWF is sad but I'll wait to hear from you guys on the ensembles / long term.

The GEFS isn't bad with a full blown retrogression in the N PAC and the development of a North Atlantic plus anomaly. It would basically suggest a very active Midwest and New England pattern.

Yeah op Euro is a horror show through D10

This cold shot today and tomorrow seems like it failed to get as far south as projected? Darn cold day up north but yesterday felt colder than today here.

Congrats on the snow boys, hopefully you weenies can squeeze out an inch tonight.

yeah it was mid 40's today here and when the sun was out was pretty warm. Makes me think any precip is north and east of us tonight...

It may be getting warm in a couple of days.... but the northern Greens pulled an amazing about of fluff out of that little arctic front, lol. Absolutely ridiculous how much snow falls from these minor events. The GFS QPF maps were showing 0.01-0.1" (lightest green) and this is what happened... good call:

598403_10101442796047020_1712013375_n.jpg

It may be getting warm in a couple of days.... but the northern Greens pulled an amazing about of fluff out of that little arctic front, lol. Absolutely ridiculous how much snow falls from these minor events. The GFS QPF maps were showing 0.01-0.1" (lightest green) and this is what happened... good call:

598403_10101442796047020_1712013375_n.jpg

Looks great, Scott. Too bad that doesn't happen down here as tonight/morrow has the same light green for SNE.

Archived