• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Approaching Thanksgiving and the Rest of November

moneypitmike

Just a quick note to some of the guys that are hyper local or not. All volunteers called to meet at Jennings beach for a cleanup of homes destroyed by the hurricane. Bring garbage bags and gloves to help these people out, there is so much to take away and will take a huge effort from all of us that live here in Fairfield and anyone else that wants to volunteer. 930 am sunday morning jennings beach parking lot is the meeting area. Every single home down there has piles of rubble in front of there home, lets help these folks out!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick note to some of the guys that are hyper local or not. All volunteers called to meet at Jennings beach for a cleanup of homes destroyed by the hurricane. Bring garbage bags and gloves to help these people out, there is so much to take away and will take a huge effort from all of us that live here in Fairfield and anyone else that wants to volunteer. 930 am sunday morning jennings beach parking lot is the meeting area. Every single home down there has piles of rubble in front of there home, lets help these folks out!

Good man Joe,

listening to WCBS 880 too!

1986 and 1987 worked out too even though the decade was garbage. 1989 not so much.

Back this way, November snow is generally good too...all those years you listed but we could add on 1996, 1995, and 2005. '96-'97 wasn't a classic great winter, but it had the bomb at the end (and back here we had the Cantore thundersnow storm in December '96) and 2005-2006 was meh but had the great Dec 9th bomb. I don't need to speak for 1995-1996. The only true dead ratter here (since I've been here) with a good November snow event was 1991-1992. I don't think BOS got anything out of that one though.

I was living in Winchester in 1991-92 and we got about an inch close to Vets Day but I don't recall another bigger November event. But I am pretty optimistic about what's coming this winter.

Beautiful morning, couple hours left of snow cover before its gone. Saturday through Tuesday look incredible, and it was great to see OKX extend the 60s now into Tuesday. This was an impressive cold shot/snowstorm combination, now its time to break out the coppertone and banana hammocks.........I just wonder if that might have been the biggest snow of the season? +nao, gradient sw flow set up favors folks well north and west of here, life goes on, and the meltdowns are priceless, I am already well ahead of the game:)

Gibbs likes Nov 19-20 for our next coastal/shot at wintry precip

I mentioned that a few days ago, that it may be are only shot for a few weeks with that transient block moving int Canada.

Yeah you did mention this a few days ago and I can see what you guys are saying. I don't have the ECMWF ensembles out that far but from what I can tell, the models have a wave undercutting a developing west-based -NAO block in this period (but this is really a downstream anomaly of the west Canada trough). The worry in this scenario will be the availability of cold air but I could see interior areas pulling off something. I don't think it would be as widespread as what just happened.

Sub trop low with high to north next weekend, sound familiar?

IF the block is timed right something might happen, not sure if the airmass would be as cold as this past one, but the models did underestimate this past polar airmass so who knows.........lets hope it happens I am game! This back and forth stuff is perfect.

Yeah you did mention this a few days ago and I can see what you guys are saying. I don't have the ECMWF ensembles out that far but from what I can tell, the models have a wave undercutting a developing west-based -NAO block in this period (but this is really a downstream anomaly of the west Canada trough). The worry in this scenario will be the availability of cold air but I could see interior areas pulling off something. I don't think it would be as widespread as what just happened.

yea looks typical for the time of year but in the year of the obscene who knows.

IF the block is timed right something might happen, not sure if the airmass would be as cold as this past one, but the models did underestimate this past polar airmass so who knows.........lets hope it happens I am game! This back and forth stuff is perfect.

This isn't really a "block" like what we just went through though and the NAO is very positive during this event. While there is a nice CAD signature on the data, the cold air will likely not be sufficient for the coastal plain. In this last event, we had Arctic Air available preceding the event with a sufficient high and the ageostrophic component which is why we anticipated the models would continue to trend cooler.

yea looks typical for the time of year but in the year of the obscene who knows.

Haha... the year of the obscene.

Well, like I said, maybe the interior/ inland areas can pull something off but I'm not getting excited about this one.

This isn't really a "block" like what we just went through though and the NAO is very positive during this event. While there is a nice CAD signature on the data, the cold air will likely not be sufficient for the coastal plain. In this last event, we had Arctic Air available preceding the event with a sufficient high and the ageostrophic component which is why we anticipated the models would continue to trend cooler.

Thanks for breaking it down, what are your thoughts on the Euro seasonal forecast regarding the long term +NAO and how that would affect the MA up into SNE?

Yeah this pattern or type of block would likely cut off the cold air, or at least the below average temperature type of air from SE Canada. The GEFS have said block centered Hudson Bay to the canadian shores of Davis Straight, the ECM ens have it more south-central Canada for the time period in question..low heights over greenland, but it is november so we see this wave undercutting into the southeast for this coastal threat. definitely a big time CAD signature as the EC ens mean has 1034mb centered over Montreal on Saturday the 17th, but what does that mean for low level cold air supply when msot of SE Canada is 5-10 degrees above average at the time? Id also think that high could escape pretty easily to the north and east

Thanks for breaking it down, what are your thoughts on the Euro seasonal forecast regarding the long term +NAO and how that would affect the MA up into SNE?

I haven't seen them but if I come across them, I will let you know. From what has been described, it sounds like a La Niña pattern similar to 07-08; and if that's the case, New England can do well, snowfall-wise. The Mid Atlantic would miss out on most of the fun from NYC south.

Yeah this pattern or type of block would likely cut off the cold air, or at least the below average temperature type of air from SE Canada. The GEFS have said block centered Hudson Bay to the canadian shores of Davis Straight, the ECM ens have it more south-central Canada for the time period in question..low heights over greenland, but it is november so we see this wave undercutting into the southeast for this coastal threat. definitely a big time CAD signature as the EC ens mean has 1034mb centered over Montreal on Saturday the 17th, but what does that mean for low level cold air supply when msot of SE Canada is 5-10 degrees above average at the time? Id also think that high could escape pretty easily to the north and east

The November 19-24 period certainly has potential for interior areas but as far as the coastal plain and big cities, I'm not excited. It is going to take perfect timing and processess to get snow into these areas with this kind of pattern. But hey, it's late November, it is going to snow in the interior...not a big deal.

Archived