• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Approaching Thanksgiving and the Rest of November

moneypitmike

The November 19-24 period certainly has potential for interior areas but as far as the coastal plain and big cities, I'm not excited. It is going to take perfect timing and processess to get snow into these areas with this kind of pattern. But hey, it's late November, it is going to snow in the interior...not a big deal.

I definitely agree this would be some sort of interior deal. The cold just isn't there and you guys mentioned how the cold is cutoff from this sort of split flow deal, if it were to happen. Just something to watch for the northeast anyways.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeklies had a signal for a strong Pac jet into western Canada, but just a weird look overall...maybe something is fluctuating or changing at that time. Week 3 has low anonalies to the south...maybe a sign that the ensembles were sniffing out with the possible "event" after day10 and perhaps a successor to that. Week 4 has weak ridging at 500 overhead but a cold Canada, west and Plains and also a sort of 50/50 low without a real -NAO, although week ridging was noted into Greenland from Scandinavia. It's weak 4 so I don't expect it to really look like a strong signal either way.

I suppose the bottom line is that with ensembles having signs for lower height anomalies to the south, look for the chance of a couple of storms chances perhaps after day 10, but with limited cold...this may be more of a NNE high elevation deal.

With the arctic air supply being cut off from us and staying in Canada...the CAD look for beyond D10 almost has the unappealing 37F rain for the interior while it is 50F on the Cape...in other words, it doesn't really do us much good except give us a colder rain than we normally would have had. I guess we can hope for a trend colder in the availability of cold air, but it looks tough right now.

The main polar jet is really stuck up by Hudson Bay around this time and we are just using a split flow weaker southern stream to generate a system....and being so far removed from the main PJ, we end up with a stale modified high to our north.

It has a really strong 1042mb high up in Quebec...while not arctic, it is dry enough modified polar air that it wetbulbs the mid-levels to just below 0C. That would be how we hypothetically get a snow event out of that threat. Not much room for error though...and unlike this last event, we are not very cold right before it.

The day 10 storm is the storm with that transient block I mentioned to watch down the road back on Tuesday or so. I mean it's in fantasy land, but because the flow gets cutoff, it's something to watch for either rain or snow. Usually nobody cares about 10 day outlooks and they shouldn't...but it's only brought up since the pattern will be otherwise boring. Still very well might be, but you know Sultan will have his tide charts and WV loops ready no matter what. I'm sure the euro is too robust, but kind of interesting that models are sniffing something out.

post-33-0-59096800-1352488910_thumb.gif

I definitely agree this would be some sort of interior deal. The cold just isn't there and you guys mentioned how the cold is cutoff from this sort of split flow deal, if it were to happen. Just something to watch for the northeast anyways.

I'm much too exhausted to even consider the day 10 euro solution, lol. The GFS wasn't that different in its own way.

The day 10 storm is the storm with that transient block I mentioned to watch down the road back on Tuesday or so. I mean it's in fantasy land, but because the flow gets cutoff, it's something to watch for either rain or snow. Usually nobody cares about 10 day outlooks and they shouldn't...but it's only brought up since the pattern will be otherwise boring. Still very well might be, but you know Sultan will have his tide charts and WV loops ready no matter what. I'm sure the euro is too robust, but kind of interesting that models are sniffing something out.

post-33-0-59096800-1352488910_thumb.gif

Would have been a good pattern in July for an EML advection.

Nice. Gibbs storm. Just in time for a white t giving for us

As the Gibbs man would say, that block is bootleg at best. So we have to rely on perfect timing with these transient features...

I really can't imagine going through another wind / coastal flooding ordeal which is exactly what today's 12z guidance is hinting at Nov 19-24.

It has a really strong 1042mb high up in Quebec...while not arctic, it is dry enough modified polar air that it wetbulbs the mid-levels to just below 0C. That would be how we hypothetically get a snow event out of that threat. Not much room for error though...and unlike this last event, we are not very cold right before it.

Well, it is that two to three weeks further down the road like you wanted last time...

LOL. not my storm, just something to watch and be entertained during this rather mundane pattern. We know the day 10 drill, but at least models sort of have something nearby.

Well you were one of the first to bring the idea to the table so thats why i said it. And true, without focusing on the obvious fantasy solutions at day 10 on the op runs, I think we all at least agree from the ensembles and what not that this is a legitimate eastern storm threat to follow.

Well, it is that two to three weeks further down the road like you wanted last time...

Yes it is...but we won't have -10F departures the days leading up to the event like this past storm. If we did, that solution would show probably -6C or -8F 850 temps or something.

I'm much too exhausted to even consider the day 10 euro solution, lol. The GFS wasn't that different in its own way.

This is actually true - I have seen a few GFS cycles over the past few days that have plunked some stranded dynamics into those geographical regions, and then immediately moted it off from the rest of the world. But it's been like at other times between D8 and D15 actually...

The Nostradamus model sees something - what?

heh, I don't think I've ever seen a snow event under 564dm heights - that's a pretty darn strange synoptic set up there.

It's dopey to even consider - last 5 cycles have looked decidedly different each one - take your pick on a D9 chart and good luck

If you want to see an ugly one, here's one from early Dec 2002

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2002/us1211.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2002/us1212.php

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/images/snow121102.gif

The highest tide of the next 2 years, that is right 2 years is Maximum 12.37 feet at 2012-11-15 11:36 EST. we better hope this is just a fantasy map.

Archived