• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

The one thing I will say I don't understand though is around 7pm last night I was in Tilton, checked my iphone and saw that GYX upped the snow totals at that time. They reasoned that dry air would keep us all snow, and that's why they upped the totals. I am not throwing anyone under the bus at all, I am just generally curious about that when right before that happened on here I asked Dendrite what he thought and he said we'd be lucky to see a coating up here...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went out and measured a little over half an inch. Grass and roads covered and still coming down at a moderate pace. I have to say this is more than I expected.

I agree! It's a nice mood snow. Still snowing lightly. Got about 0.1" on grassy and colder surfaces.

Just got back from Burke mountain. They have 0.5" at 1,800ft.

The one thing I will say I don't understand though is around 7pm last night I was in Tilton, checked my iphone and saw that GYX upped the snow totals at that time. They reasoned that dry air would keep us all snow, and that's why they upped the totals. I am not throwing anyone under the bus at all, I am just generally curious about that when right before that happened on here I asked Dendrite what he thought and he said we'd be lucky to see a coating up here...

I had already ended my shift that day so I can't speak for the evening shift, but it was both the right and wrong thing to do. It was correct to up snow totals...for the coast. The mistake was extending the QPF so far inland. Ideally, we would have sharpened the gradient rather than a blanket bump in snow.

I am pretty content. Looks like a serious pain in the ass.

what a week of weather, best for early Nov in a long time it feels like, at least as far as sliding around goes.

what happened to our sunny day? The clouds and cold are hanging tough. Pics from today.

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

those are not snowmaking caked trees either. Would love to see these buried this winter

Max 48F...currently 45/18 with a somewhat gusty NW wind all day.

There's a few weenie patches of snow left on my

driveway, but aside from that, I didn't see much on my ride home from CON. GYX should issue a heavy boredom warning for the next couple weeks.

The only snow I saw on my drive from Plymouth back to shrewsbury was a few patches exit 23-21 on 93 in NH and then again on 290 exit 24-22 there was an inch or 2 in the woods. Patchy snow cover back home and an inch or two in the shade.

I am pretty content. Looks like a serious pain in the ass.

what a week of weather, best for early Nov in a long time it feels like, at least as far as sliding around goes.

what happened to our sunny day? The clouds and cold are hanging tough. Pics from today.

those are not snowmaking caked trees either. Would love to see these buried this winter

Yeah dude I've been too busy getting ready for the season to start I haven't been able to get many photos, but it really has been one impressive early Nov cold shots coupled with upslope snowfall in the elevations.

Mansfield has been absolutely plastered white all week (like mid-winter style) from the 10-12" of natural at the summit and about a foot of rime haha. Some of the chairlifts had a ridiculous amount of rime on them earlier in the week (looked like they had gotten hit with snowmaking but instead all from freezing fog), and the trees look like your photo...snow ghosts ;)

Plenty more good times coming...I'm so stoked we are now in it for 6 months. The promised time of year in the promised land of the northern Greens.

Some fantastic photography by borderwx there! Amazing amount of snow where peeps live over in VT. Nothing on the ground where I live, but the Whites are snow-capped. I hiked Mt Hight, Carter Dome and Wildcat Mountain today. Nothing at the trailhead, but it didn't take long for patches to show up. With a bit more elevation it was complete coverage.

The first two pics are from near the Carter Dome summit. Around 5 or 6" on the trail here. As you can see, trees were caked despite gusty winds knifing through the tree tops. I pulled out the Kestrel atop Mt Hight and found an air temp of 20F, winds gusting to 39 mph and wind chill of -5F. Brisk!

post-254-0-64319400-1352577893_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-85542400-1352577908_thumb.jpg

I climbed Wildcat Mountain to get the view that I missed on last weekend due to fog. The Wildcat Ridge Trail has northern exposure in places and the snow was thigh deep here. Unfortunately, I was breaking trail. Not to mention about 10 blowdowns courtesy of Sandy. This segment really sapped my energy.

The viewing area had many trees with this ice formation that I dubbed the windvane. Very cool!

post-254-0-50221500-1352577922_thumb.jpg

This next one is Carter Notch. For sense of scale, the Carter Notch Hut buildings are way down at the bottom next to a lake. Very beautiful area.

post-254-0-59305100-1352577936_thumb.jpg

And lastly, the obligatory shot of the Presidentials. A bit cloud-covered when I took this pic at 8:57am, but the clouds lifted a bit later. After I was out of the area, of course.

post-254-0-58096000-1352577956_thumb.jpg

It was really cool going from no snow to hiking in several inches. Back at the trailhead I took a temp reading and had 41F.

We might have some light wintry mix tonight here in the Northeast Kingdom! Very light though!

Today I got to work with The Weather Channel's Meteorologist Jim Cantore and Fox 44/ABC 22 Meteorologist Kerrin Jeromin... What a great experience learning from these two about all the things within the biz!!!

post-7965-0-86462500-1352587765_thumb.jp

This is why I love going to Lyndon State and being a 5:30 Meteorologist for VCCJ News 7

Nice, wxjim! Karrin Jeromin is a local favorite around these parts... she's got the combo of really knowing the local climate AND being quite easy on the eyes. You can tell she knows her stuff and isn't just another pretty face reading a teleprompter. I'd be surprised if she doesn't move on to bigger markets because her delivery, detail, and met knowledge is great.

Nice pics MaineJayHawk! I hiked Mount Madison in the Presidentials today. We started out at 8AM with a trailhead temp of 36F, but by the time we summitted around 1PM it had dropped all the way to 18F - very cold! When we arrived back at the car around 5PM the temperature had warmed back to 30F. There was very little snowcover at the bottom, but probably 3-4" above 3000 feet. Some pics:

Mount Madison:

post-619-0-23581500-1352611430_thumb.jpg

Mount Washington and Mount Adams:

post-619-0-16584200-1352611519_thumb.jpg

Mount Adams:

post-619-0-98316600-1352611655_thumb.jpg

Sweet shots of the Whites guys! Nice to see and balance out all our Green Mountain photos haha.

Jayhawk you going to be doing winter hiking this season?

Yup, bought snowshoes last week and have microspikes already. Was pretty happy with how comfortable I was in the strong winds and cold yesterday. Not sure I'll be cruising the Presis because that's a whole 'nother animal ... but ya never know!

Yup, bought snowshoes last week and have microspikes already. Was pretty happy with how comfortable I was in the strong winds and cold yesterday. Not sure I'll be cruising the Presis because that's a whole 'nother animal ... but ya never know!

Yeah even a twisted ankle at 5,000ft in the winter can turn deadly quick with wind/temp concerns. Probably not worth it, haha.

Archived