• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nov. 12-13th Storm Sytem/Winter Storm.

Thundersnow12

Time to see if I still got it. With both the 12z runs of the GFS/Euro/GFS ensembles and the GEM to an extent as well as myself being bored, I figured I'd go ahead and start this thread. Obviously it's still a week away but IMO the potential is there.

I've been watching this one for a few days now as both the GFS and Euro have had runs of the first upper level system moving across the northern plains as the western trof/southen energy digs southward into the four corners region and aids in the development of a new sfc low across TX and then moving in northeastward with enough cold air on the northwest side for snow and lots of rain in the warm sector.

It's quite the way that goes neutral tilt over then plains and then goes negative tlit as it crosses the mississippi river dropping a good amount of snow from MO-U.P of MI. For sh*ts and gigs, the 12z Euro had 6-18" from the KS/MO border the U.P of MI on Accu Pro.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOT

GUIDANCE TREND SUNDAY AND BEYOND IS TO HOLD BACK SOUTHERN PART OF

UPPER TROUGH ENERGY ACROSS THE SOUTHWESTERN U.S. SUNDAY...THEN LIFT

IT NORTHEAST IN A NEGATIVELY-TILTED FASHION MONDAY. THIS RESULTS IN

DEVELOPING A SECOND FAIRLY DEEP SURFACE LOW ALONG THE TRAILING COLD

FRONTAL BAROCLINIC ZONE WHICH WOULD LIFT ACROSS NORTHERN IL SOMETIME

MONDAY OR MONDAY NIGHT...AS MODELS BEGIN TO DIFFER ON SPEED/TIMING

BY THEN. THIS WOULD MAINTAIN PRECIP CHANCES SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY

AND KEEP COLDER AIR FROM REALLY PUSHING IN UNTIL LATER MONDAY. BOTH

ECMWF AND GFS RUNS SUGGEST THERE COULD BE A STRIPE OF ACCUMULATING

WET SNOW SOMEWHERE ACROSS IA/NORTHWEST IL/WI ON THE BACKSIDE OF THIS

SECOND LOW MONDAY/MONDAY NIGHT.

Nice to see the potential of a decent system in Nov, especially considering what happened last winter...

From Quad Cities

"THE 12Z GFS AND ECMWF HAVE COME INTO GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE TIMING

OF THE COLD FRONT ON SUNDAY...AND CONTINUE TO SUGGEST A POTENTIAL

FOR HEAVY RAINFALL IN A POST FRONTAL BAND. FORCING FOR PRECIPITATION

THEN CONTINUES SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MUCH OF MONDAY AS THE UPPER

TROUGH LIFTS NORTHEAST THROUGH THE REGION POSSIBLY IN A NEGATIVE

TILT FASHION. WHILE THERE ARE CONSIDERABLE DIFFERENCES IN HOW AND

WHEN THIS ENERGY LIFTS THROUGH THE REGION...CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING

THAT THIS FORCING WILL OVERLAP THE LOW LEVEL COLD ADVECTION

SUFFICIENTLY ENOUGH TO WARRANT AT LEAST A MENTION OF SNOW MIXED WITH

RAIN FROM SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY. WHILE THIS SYSTEM WILL CERTAINLY

CONTINUE TO EVOLVE IN THE FORECAST...BASED ON THE CURRENT

SETUP...THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR MEASURABLE SNOW THAT WILL BE

WATCHED CLOSELY. TEMPERATURE MONDAY WILL NOT LIKELY EXCEED THE 30S

OVER MOST OF THE AREA...FOLLOWED BY WIDESPREAD 20S MONDAY

NIGHT."

Ditto here. But building snowpack across the Plains/UMW can't be a bad thing for us down the road in December.

Yes, 100% agree. Really looks like that part of the US, plus western Canada, is going to feel the brunt of the cold/snow chances for the next couple of weeks.

And we're off. Nobody better IMO to start at winter storm thread as well. guitar.gif

I'll most likely be watching this one from afar/no snow zone, but hopefully someone in the Midwest scores.

Nonsense. Still have a week to will this eastward.

In all seriousness, pretty impressive to see every 12z GEFS member with something in that timeframe.

Whether this turns into something or not for someone, if theres one thing Ive noticed over the last decade or so, it's that it wouldnt be November without a snowstorm hitting an area (usually the central/southern Plains) that averages much less snow than Detroit...before we see our first blanket of snow. By April, we will have obliterated them with season-total snowfall, snowcover, and all that sort of thing....but it is like clockwork and it seems to happen every winter. I used to have that attitude "its not fair, why should they get snow before us when we average more and are farther north", but Ive now accepted it as part of the normalcy of November. I cant say I dislike it, because in the end WINTER is what matters to me most (to this day my snowiest Nov was in the dreaded 1997-98 winter), its just that tease of wanting that first one and having to wait sucks.

Whether this turns into something or not for someone, if theres one thing Ive noticed over the last decade or so, it's that it wouldnt be November without a snowstorm hitting an area (usually the central/southern Plains) that averages much less snow than Detroit...before we see our first blanket of snow. By April, we will have obliterated them with season-total snowfall, snowcover, and all that sort of thing....but it is like clockwork and it seems to happen every winter. I used to have that attitude "its not fair, why should they get snow before us when we average more and are farther north", but Ive now accepted it as part of the normalcy of November. I cant say I dislike it, because in the end WINTER is what matters to me most (to this day my snowiest Nov was in the dreaded 1997-98 winter), its just that tease of wanting that first one and having to wait sucks.

Exactly the same here, it's a reality that comes with living on or near the western shore of one of the Great Lakes.

Yeah this one's starting to not look so good. Looks like just a band of rain/storms moving through with the front for most of us. Winter-wise it looks like a non-event at this point. I suppose it's still far enough out we could still see a surprise return to previous solutions, but I wouldn't bet on it. I'd be happy with just seeing the first flakes of the season myself.

My thoughts: A strong storm system will move into the area this weekend. Very heavy snow will break out behind the system on Friday in areas north west of North Dakota, including parts of the state it self. Enough cold air may work in to drop a couple inches in all of the light blue area, especially in the darker blue.

Heavy snow in dark blue, 6"+

www.midwestweather.org

post-7560-0-96103400-1352266838_thumb.jp

I wouldn't totally give up on this one yet, signs from the GFS and its ensembles are bringing back the hope of a minor snow event (2-4 inches of back end snows for someone in the Great Lakes). In November, that kind of event would take care of our average monthly snowfall just like that. Hopefully the Euro comes back on board a bit.

NAM shows a bit of back side snow at this time frame.

nam_namer_054_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Don't be mislead by this image Geos, QPF is precipitation that has fallen in a specific time period, in this case 6 hours. I would guess there could possibly be some flakes to end the event but not nearly as much as I think you believe.

Archived