• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nov. 12-13th Storm Sytem/Winter Storm.

Thundersnow12

Changeover to snow on the back edge looks plausible. Not expecting much in the way of sticking but the cold air will be coming in pretty quickly and based on past experience in this type of setup, models are sometimes a bit too slow so we'll see.

Yeah, one of our local models shows a changeover for about a half hour early Monday morning in much of S Wisconsin, so perhaps a trace can be recorded.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, one of our local models shows a changeover for about a half hour early Monday morning in much of S Wisconsin, so perhaps a trace can be recorded.

A trace is recorded if any snowflakes fall at all....the goal I think will be to see if anyone can squeeze out anything measurable. Models dont look promising, but as said, sometimes they are slow in these setups. Its a short-lived but potent blast of cold air.

Bo, as far as regular posters go, you have moved to the sweet spot for wintry weather. I am a little jealous. Hope to see the reports and pics all winter.

Oh definitely, i'll post a lot of pics and obs. I'm more than a little excited about Winter this year. To see how locals prepare is interesting. Town Christmas lights are up already so they don't have to do it in the snow,and all the fire hydrants now have a 4 ft red stake in the ground by them so they can be found when they get covered up by snow. Also they prohibit semi's and dump trucks on the county roads to prevent the roads from cracking/breaking up when the ground freezes over,which btw, makes April the most hated month here I've been told.

Front seems to be moving quicker than expected. Could mean the timing of changeover and end of precip are moved up.

Yeah the back edge of the precip is moving quicker as well, keeping ahead of the changeover line. The number of snow/mix reports have dwindled down the last few hours. Starting to think we may escape with no snow now.

DVN mentioned this in the new disco as well...

THE STRONG SUBSIDENCE IN THE COLD AIR ADVECTION IS

BEATING DOWN THE AND KEEPING THE FRONTOGENESIS BAND NARROW AND CLOSE

TO THE FRONT. SO...WHILE THE COLD AIR WILL BE ENOUGH TO TURN

WHATEVER PRECIPITATION REMAINS OVER TO SNOW AS IT SWEEPS EAST THIS

EVENING...THERE JUST WONT BE MUCH THERE. THUS...POTENTIAL FOR

ACCUMULATION LOOKS PRETTY SMALL AND HAVE KEPT FORECAST TO DUSTING OR

LESS FOR SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS.

Given the trends I would put the changeover time somewhere around 4-5 AM for LAF.

Reports out west look like the changeover to snow is rather short lived. Not that we were expecting anything of note, but it looks like a brief period of some flakes will be best case. 0z NAM looks more realistic than its prior kooky runs.

Always enjoy FZRA reports with temps above freezing. Like now at Des Moines.

SPECI KDSM 111727Z 31015KT 6SM -FZRA BR BKN007 OVC012 01/M02 A2983 RMK AO2 RAE24FZRAB24 P0002

I saw this post earlier and meant to comment then but forgot. The reason why the observer went with -FZRA even though the temperature was above freezing is because they were probably getting accretion on the surface. Another factor however could be that the temperature gauge might be running too warm.

Archived