• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November obs and banter

Ian

This moral argument was put to bed years ago. Please don't perpetuate it. Any enthusiast that is 100% unwavering for imby snow is totally acceptable. There is zero reason to rationalize the other way. We are rooting for snow period. Nothing else matters at all and no criticism is necessary.

(moved this from the model thread as to not induce further clutter)

Seems like an odd post and approach to me...

You presume we are a static groups of members that are here every day and follow all themes and every post. There is a tendency to shut down concepts contrary to what a small core group of regulars have defined as acceptable, and control the conversation in a prescribed direction. If some members feel the site belongs to you and you prefer a walled garden to keep out the riff-raff, you should propose to the admins to take it private and/or go fee-based.

Otherwise, there are a range of participants, from zero post lurkers to members with double or triple digit post counts that share a common interest and enthusiasm for all types of weather and related topics. Not everyone "knows the drill", or wants to divert time and energy away from work and family to rack up four and five digit post counts. The open hostility by a few to infrequent posters, low-information newbies, and those outside the "circle of trust" is weird. And shutting down feedback and criticism is bizarre. I'd think an open web forum would want to cultivate membership and evolve as a destination.

Having said all that, I get the spirit of your comments on "morality" themes. If the admins and mods have decided that love of meteorology and enthusiasm for sensible weather, including extremes, trump concern for impact on life and property, then that's a case of the community developing norms, and "it is what it is" (but it doesn't necessarily make it right, to the objective or casual observer). I can understand the frustration of "outsiders" disrupting what you believe to be a settled issue among the real members.

To me, it's more of an issue of sensitivity and simple decency, not morality or needing to be "very serious people". Both can exist in harmony. This is a premiere site for weather and meteorology information and analysis, but the undercurrent pushed by some is unfortunate. But that's the way it goes, I suppose.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needbiggerboat, I understand where you're coming from but I think you're missing the point of my post. A good analogy would be if this was a diehard redskins forum and Vick fell down the stairs and hurt his ankle the night before we play the eagles. And then as we revel in posting about how good things are looking for tomorrow's game someone posts about how terrible we are for being happy that Vick got hurt.

We're not happy that Vick got hurt on a personal level. Were happy because we now have a better chance at winning the game. This board exists solely because people like exciting weather with an emphasis on snow. We're a big bunch of fans who want to win. Winning means that #1 exciting weather happens and #2 it happens in our backyard. Getting criticised because we aren't sensitive to the losers makes no sense.

People come here to share their passion for exciting weather. It's the lifeblood of this place. If it bothers someone that people get excited about a high impact event and "root for it" then definitely don't even lurk let alone post. This place is virtually radio silent when weather is "friendly".

Exactly, Wes. Most of the stuff is completely harmless. If and when we have a real threat on our hands, then I understand bringing folks in line. But I'm also of the opinion that it should be done nicely.

i would much rather keep things tight leading up to a big event and then busting loose when the event starts. It is reward for remaining calm and rational. The freaking out even with this threat was unwarranted if people could keep climo in their heads instead of in their weenie

yeah i think some want the moderation to go too far. ive never been super bothered by some banter in general threads. i do agree people should try to condense their thoughts when possible. no need to post half a line on the same thing over and over again -- unless it's euro pbp. tongue.png

For me the switch was flipped to tighten up because of Sandy Storm mode. We just so happened to have a legit threat come on its heels and so i was hoping everyone would realize that and show self control. Apparently snow throws out all common sense and we went right back to some posting about what they want as opposed to what will likely happen. Not calling you out as you have mentioned low snow chances repeatedly.

Everybody on here is silly....weenies...self appointed police...trolls...lurkers...experts...I don't get it but I suppose I am in the minority with my views. I just don't find any of it that disruptive or problematic but after saying that I probably was more annoyed a few years back when I posted a lot more. Now that I don't post so much it's just not that big of a deal to me when the above labels post.

In the end for me I want to track snow events...get excited if models start showing something...get disappointed for a moment when they crap on us then move on and rinse and repeat for the next one and when by chance the next one is the real deal...I want to share it with all of you and have some dang fun.

Not so easy to do this anymore but it is what it is...regime shift happened awhile ago and i am ok with that.

Everybody on here is silly....weenies...self appointed police...trolls...lurkers...experts...I don't get it but I suppose I am in the minority with my views. I just don't find any of it that disruptive or problematic but after saying that I probably was more annoyed a few years back when I posted a lot more. Now that I don't post so much it's just not that big of a deal to me when the above labels post.

In the end for me I want to track snow events...get excited if models start showing something...get disappointed for a moment when they crap on us then move on and rinse and repeat for the next one and when by chance the next one is the real deal...I want to share it with all of you and have some dang fun.

Not so easy to do this anymore but it is what it is...regime shift happened awhile ago and i am ok with that.

I'm all for having fun too. I'll just keep my dumb comments in the banter thread. That is where I think most of the better talk will be anyways.

I want snow. i always want snow but I don't want to be a jerk who flips out each model run or if I do flip out i just do it in the right place. That's all.

I'll be using the filter option soon enough so that will limit what i see anyways. You not gonna be hidden so i still can read your posts :wub:

I'm all for having fun too. I'll just keep my dumb comments in the banter thread. That is where I think most of the better talk will be anyways.

I want snow. i always want snow but I don't want to be a jerk who flips out each model run or if I do flip out i just do it in the right place. That's all.

I'll be using the filter option soon enough so that will limit what i see anyways. You not gonna be hidden so i still can read your posts wub.png

Sounds about right.

Gotta get with the ignore function. It works.

Looking down the road doesn't look like a switch to a long duration warm pattern. Honestly, I've been kind of worried about it. After digging way deep into the AO data last year it was pretty clear than an anomalous + or - in December is a very stable and tough to break down pattern. Not seeing a strong indication of the current flip to a +ao being stable. Guidance is all over the place through mid month.

Looks like the seasonable warm up is mostly -pna driven and that should break down at some point. Hopefully before thanksgiving.

Bob...if you can give me a +AO and some warmth over Thanksgiving, I'd really appreciate it. I have some golfing and fishing to do in South Carolina that week. We can always go back to a -AO in December.

Thanks for your help.

You seem like a good guy mattie but sorry brother, I hope your golf balls freeze.

tbh- it looks seasonal through mid month and probably longer. Seasonal is fine. Anomalous warmth is not.

Probably a total weenieism but isn't there a valid truth to expect the precip shield and storm to continue to encroach NW on the models? Isn't it more common than not at this stage in the game considering the setup or am I just weenieing out here?

Bob, as long as you are being a weenie, you think you could wish about 0.2 all the way out here?

Probably a total weenieism but isn't there a valid truth to expect the precip shield and storm to continue to encroach NW on the models? Isn't it more common than not at this stage in the game considering the setup or am I just weenieing out here?

I guess we're in storm mode or I'd weenie you. Last year most did not come west but this is a new year so who knows.

Archived