Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November obs and banter

Ian

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two cents, for what they are worth

Discussing the Boxing Day storm as an analog to this one, I see no issue with.

Posting really crappy models, whining about a shift east, or even throwing in the flag.. Should be in the banter thread

i agree generally which is why i posted the cras here earlier instead of the other thread. i think it's tough to have "hard" rules though about what constitutes OT. obviously if a past storm is mentioned some people will be like "oh i remember that one etc". i don't see how it's that harmful to allow that stuff. i've never had a problem scrolling by a post i dont care about. i'd also staunchly stand by the fact that these forums have been successful because we aren't always just policing and telling people what not to post. "ot" posts often lead to interesting or educational discussion.

i agree generally which is why i posted the cras here earlier instead of the other thread. i think it's tough to have "hard" rules though about what constitutes OT. obviously if a past storm is mentioned some people will be like "oh i remember that one etc". i don't see how it's that harmful to allow that stuff. i've never had a problem scrolling by a post i dont care about. i'd also staunchly stand by the fact that these forums have been successful because we aren't always just policing and telling people what not to post. "ot" posts often lead to interesting or educational discussion.

I am sure if I went back to the severe threads over the summer they are full of OT banter by the same crew mostly complaining now.

It's a casual msg board. There's no need to moderate this place into the ground.

Yes, but there's also no reason for anyone to roll down the window and toss all of their trash out either. I don't mind most of the banter because the majority of it is pretty funny. Most, but not all. I also think Ian's got a pretty good trigger finger for when the threads need more moderation, and It helps that he is good about knowing when a threat is legitimate. So although for the serious-minded it may seem loose in the model threads at times, it tightens up when it needs to. Just my two cents.

By the way, your avatar initially confused me. For a moment, I thought you were a litterbug. wink.png

I'm in favor of looser vs stricter moderation. I assume it's simple for a mod to delete posts so just wiping out the obvious useless posts in the pinned storm threads is plenty good. There are some prolific useless posters in the storm threads. I would think they would know better. I'm not all that good myself at sticking with on topic stuff but I at the very least try to make sure the majority of my posts have some sort of useful content.

Archived