Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Election week coastal storm threat

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys realize some, if not most of the GFS ensembles give you a solid snowstorm.

They also have a lower resolution and can be a bit more phase happy than the operational.

Not saying whether it will or will not happen, just giving perspective on using the ensembles, especially at this short of range.

They also have a lower resolution and can be a bit more phase happy than the operational.

Not saying whether or not it will or will not happen, just giving perspective on using the ensembles, especially at this short of range.

Per the maps I saw this morning - I'm remaining hopeful since I'm still in the game. :)

Not saying whether or not it will or will not happen, just giving perspective on using the ensembles, especially at this short of range.

I know you know this, but just for clarification, that's true for the GEFS, not the Euro ensemble.

I know you know this, but just for clarification, that's true for the GEFS, not the Euro ensemble.

Which part are you referring to (I assume the "phase happy part")? Both the GEFS and ECEns members are run at lower resolution than their parent deterministic model runs.

Which part are you referring to (I assume the "phase happy part")? Both the GEFS and ECEns members are run at lower resolution than their parent deterministic model runs.

Yeah, sorry. I should have clarified. Euro ensemble is roughly the same resolution as the GFS op and is not as "phase happy" as the GEFS.

I almost feel the opposite can be true with the GEFS. I've seen them many times be too far east with a coastal low. However, I suppose it is possible for different members to be perturbed in a way where some are phase happy and it skews the mean in certain instances.

Except that the GEFS isn't perturbed in the same was as say something like the SREF (where you get clustering because of model diversity). There is a stochastic tendency scheme that is used in the GEFS (basically the tendencies are perturbed), but it is random (i.e. it shouldn't systematically skew the model toward being more/less phase happy in a mean/statistical sense). Issues with the GEFS individual solutions would have way more to do with the physics are behaving (which are not re-tuned down for the lower resolution).

Except that the GEFS isn't perturbed in the same was as say something like the SREF (where you get clustering because of model diversity). There is a stochastic tendency scheme that is used in the GEFS (basically the tendencies are perturbed), but it is random (i.e. it shouldn't systematically skew the model toward being more/less phase happy in a mean/statistical sense). Issues with the GEFS individual solutions would have way more to do with the physics are behaving (which are not re-tuned down for the lower resolution).

What I meant was that whatever the reason a few members may be amped up vs the majority, it may cause the mean to shift more to the left or closer to the coast. My wording may have been off. While not always the case, I treat the ensembles as a red flag that the op run might be too far east if the op run really deviates east from the mean. More often than not, the ensembles can be east of the op run at day 4 or 5....but at this stage, it's probably wise to move towards deterministic models, although SREFs can be useful.

NAM is a bit west and wrapping up quicker but, Baltimore/DC get fringed pretty bad still, the NWS made a comparison of this storm to December 2010 with the tight precipitation gradient like I did on here yesterday.

It shifted almost 150 miles from the 6z run. Just another shift of 70 more miles would be nice...unless it's east.

NAM is a bit west and wrapping up quicker but, Baltimore/DC get fringed pretty bad still, the NWS made a comparison of this storm to December 2010 with the tight precipitation gradient like I did on here yesterday.

That's a pretty good move around the 36 hr time, IMO. Couple more like that and DC and BALT might get some snow out of it. Seems to slow it down a touch as well.

That's a pretty good move around the 36 hr time, IMO. Couple more like that and DC and BALT might get some snow out of it. Seems to slow it down a touch as well.

Im not relying on a model with this, Im gonna go with my gut and say its like Dec 2010...west of the Bay get fringed, with the eastern shore getting heavier precipitation....problem for them, is they probably wont be cold enough to get a sig accumulation.

Archived