• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Is it really looking like Christmas?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS is well west and brings heavy precip back to the region. It s considerably warmer than the Euro though and can't see if it's be cold enough for snow.

Closes the storm off at 500mb and goes negative. Above freezing at 850 from I-81 S&E. But it is most definitely west. Canadian at 18z came further west as well from what I see.

Closes the storm off at 500mb and goes negative. Above freezing at 850 from I-81 S&E. But it is most definitely west. Canadian at 18z came further west as well from what I see.

One thing i've been watching is the 500 ridge axis out west, which was something CTP mentioned in their long-term this morning. Traditional interior C-PA snowstorm track would have the axis through Idaho. Models have been running a broader ridge with more of a western/central Montana axis. Thus, models don't have the alignment ideal for central and supporting low track and best qpf being just to the east. The I-81 corridor and just east of that seem to be the best place to see heavier precip and potentially a significant elevation dependent snowfall. That's not to say we can't get precip into the central JST/AOO/UNV corridor, but the focus right now looks a bit to the east. I will say this is not far from being a significant wet snow threat to most but it looks like it will go just a little bit too wide to heavily affect say west of I-99.

Overall in my opinion, this is kind of reminiscent of the Nov 14/15th, 1995 central PA snow bomb... which if my memory serves me correctly is probably the last time we had a November nor'easter deliver a widespread significant snowfall in central PA. Heaviest snow accums on that one focused over the Laurels, NE PA and southern NY with several inches from Harrisburg west and over 10" in AOO/UNV. Off the Laurels to the west, Pit saw little snow as they were too far west.

You'll note though, the farther west 500mb alignment for that storm

post-1507-0-03785400-1352081797_thumb.gi

post-1507-0-15590300-1352081983_thumb.gi

With such a dynamic storm being progged, whoever ultimately gets lucky and sees the best QPF coexist with a snow friendly column could see significant rates. The Novemeber 95 storm I brought up was one of three storms referenced in a paper authored by Richard Grumm from CTP and I believe one of the BGM mets (Nicoasia) dealing with intense mesoscale banding.

Link

NWS leaning EURO

PRELIMINARY MEDIUM RANGE GRIDS WERE UPDATED WITH A BLEND OF THE

04/00Z ECWMF/ECX AND HPC GUIDANCE. SIMILAR TO YESTERDAY...LEANED

HEAVILY TOWARD AN ECMWF-BASED SOLUTION EARLY IN THE PERIOD...WHICH

HAS BEEN RATHER CONSISTENT IN TRACKING A DEEP CYCLONE JUST

OFFSHORE THE DELMARVA/NJ COAST DURING THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK.

Also here is my latest impact map.

post-959-0-67728400-1352098298_thumb.png

Still even tonight, less than 72 hours away from a potential major nor'easter, models still are all over the place. We have the NAM, which basically does not effect the coast at all and the UKMET, which is ridiculously far east of its previous run. That it is very hard to believe. Then the GFS shifted west tonight and brings precipitation back west of I-95. The GGEM/Canadian model is the most west of any model so far tonight with snow in the big cities of Washington, DC; Baltimore, MD; Harrisburg, PA and Albany, NY. This makes a forecast for this storm very difficult. But, since the GFS and GGEM came west and the EURO has been consistently west, we have decided to shift are impacts west on this update. No matter what coastal flooding, heavy rain and windy conditions will impact the coastline, we know that for sure. The question is how far west will the precipitation make it and how much cold air will there be to work with? Right now our thinking is there will be mainly rain east of I-95 until north of Massachusetts, then snow will be possible up there. The coast will get hit with heavy rains of 1-3 inches and winds gusting to 55+ mph. Also the coast will see some flooding due to high surf and surge. West of I-95 will be a narrow corridor, which on our map is in pink, this is an area will rain will go over to snow and may accumulate a few slushy inches. Northwest of the rain/snow area should be mainly all snow or a brief period of rain to start. This area stands the best chance of picking up over 3 inches of heavy wet snowfall. The storm would start Wednesday evening in the southern part of the region and make it to the Northeast by mid-day Thursday. All in all we are about 70% confident on this forecast right now as still many factors exist that could change the forecast significantly. We will continue to watch this storm closely and monitor the trends in the models and hopefully by tomorrow there will be enough agreement we can release full details. Stay tuned. ~Brisko.

Not by this much tho: https://www.facebook...&type=1

WTF is that guy talking about?

No idea what he sees (or is on for that matter!) Nothing supports that snow map at this time!

I do think either the GFS or EURO will "blink" this upcoming run. I have a feeling the GFS will at least tick more west. Hopefully the consistent EURO continues its snowy solution for us...

Archived