• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA - Is it really looking like Christmas?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Kocin's coming to campus in two weeks for a guest lecture. Can't wait. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I will definitely be there! smile.png Hopefully we have snow on the ground at that point. It's kind of a dilemma, though...while I want the Euro to be right for central PA, it would be devastating for the Jersey Shore and nobody wants to see that happen.

Don't get your hopes up too much... we're having some problems with the NWS regarding his travel. sad.png We should have a definitive answer tomorrow (via email).

GFS says turn off the lights on your way out!! Nice snow for parts of SNE though. Looks like a GFS coup this time fellas! Things obviously can change, but that would be a lot to change within 48 hours of storm.

It was just way west of there last run it hasn't scored anything. If a model was to score the coup it would be the nam as it was never close to showing anything. But we still have seen change up till 24hrs out to lets see 0Z first.

the way i look at it, i can't control the weather, but if i could i would give up a couple winters for those folks in coastal areas, god knows they don't need another beating. our resources in those areas are completley taxed. i pray hard for those people. think about about our friends on this forum whose lives are forever changed.

edit- i may make a road trip if they get smacked with another storm, i figure i may have something to offer.

I hope this isn't a sign for things to come...

I am really not up for this BS again from the models this winter. They sucked last year as well. If the models were right at day 2-4 we would have had 100".

It's pretty early yet, and on the heels of this event is a pattern shift and a significant warm up anyways. We we're already kinda playing the fringe game (esp true central) with the 500mb western ridge situated further east than ideal for C-PA and since models today (12z-5th thru 0z-6th) have made a major shift toward a more progessive, much weaker coastal system, it appears that most if not all of us C-PAers are gonna end up with a non event barring another last minute shift back the other way. I concur about this being a good trend for the stricken coastal areas, this had been forecast to be a very strong nor'easter capable of significant beach erosion and coastal flooding even without Sandy's destructive impacts. It would certainly be a better thing for their sake for this thing to glance as the Mid-Atl/NE will have much more tranquil and warmer weather moving in by the weekend and probably lasting several days as the NAO gets to even and a trough and unsettled weather dives back into the west with a tanking PNA.

This storm is back to reality really with the usual uncertainty with timing and phasing to try to fire a storm up in the right place. Don't forget about the computer forecasts leading up to Sandy, they were probably about as good as you'll ever see from several days out. And thank goodness they were, could you imagine had the models not locked in on Sandy veering back into the Northeast until like 2 or even 3 days out? Also don't forget about the blocking that was in place to make that happen, because we may see it again when the season really starts counting.

Archived