joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That NHC wind map seems almost negligent to me, cone from almost all guidance I've seen should be wider and further north.

I believe that wind potential is something like this for New England -- Long Island Sound and s CT sustained 50-70 mph gusts to 110, Rhode Island, se MA and Boston as well as exposed locations in CT 40-60 gusting 90, more sheltered locations in MA 30-55 gusting to 75.

I also disagree with "post-tropical" at landfall plus location. Would personally go with cat-2 near Belmar to Toms River NJ.

NYC forum already has my forecast and I think wind potential is similar to Long Island Sound above for most of Long Island, NYC and ne NJ.

This will hit very hard. At least the region seems to have been well prepared for direct storm surge impacts, I sure hope this finds a way to underperform because if not, storm of the age potential (except where 1938 hit hardest, then a strong second).

Yeah that's what I was thinking... sustained 1-minute at 60mph is hard to do (but if a storm will do it, its this one), even if gusts are up to 80mph+, sustained may only be 40-50mph.

Yeah inland CT and points north I doubt we see sustained 60+ mph winds but we certainly will be seeing 30-40 mph winds and maybe even closer to 50 mph for the southern areas. Gusts are a different story.

I thought a couple days ago they said those maps wouldnt work up here I could be wrong though

Really? must have missed that.

please pound that thought, folks are not getting it, the low tides are high because they are forced in.

Beaches are taking a beating already. Tons of erosion just today. Keep in mind it's been about 20 out of the NE gusting to 30-35 for several hours on the water.

The other thing about the NHC grids...even the NAM has 50 knots sustained up to the cape islands. I'm just surprised by how low their probabilities are unless it does have to do with it occurring post TC.

That NHC wind map seems almost negligent to me, cone from almost all guidance I've seen should be wider and further north.

I believe that wind potential is something like this for New England -- Long Island Sound and s CT sustained 50-70 mph gusts to 110, Rhode Island, se MA and Boston as well as exposed locations in CT 40-60 gusting 90, more sheltered locations in MA 30-55 gusting to 75.

I also disagree with "post-tropical" at landfall plus location. Would personally go with cat-2 near Belmar to Toms River NJ.

NYC forum already has my forecast and I think wind potential is similar to Long Island Sound above for most of Long Island, NYC and ne NJ.

This will hit very hard. At least the region seems to have been well prepared for direct storm surge impacts, I sure hope this finds a way to underperform because if not, storm of the age potential (except where 1938 hit hardest, then a strong second).

Violently agree..to the point of shaking you

We're streaming live if anyone from out of market is interested in watching.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/

We're forecasting wind gusts 55-70 mph inland... 65-80 mph at the shoreline. Concerned for 2 different bursts of winds... one post landfall (12z NAM really pegged that... though 18z NAM backed off a bit) out of the SE... and the first one prior to the storm's arrival out of the NE.

Just my opinion on the eventual track. I figure from model output across the spectrum none have the track going E of 70W. Crossroads- the hard left turn should commence between now and approx midnight. The WV looping superfast shows the PJ undercutting and the brickwall block to the E and N - still 10° long. to the E

Presently moving firmly to the NE at 15 mph.

Crossroads?

BOX 5pm:

Short term /6 am Monday morning through Monday night/...

* high wind warnings for damaging winds across much of the region through Monday night with widespread power outages possible

* flood watches for heavy rainfall of 2-4 inches with locally up to 5 inches possible across the higher terrain

* coastal flood warnings issued for the south and east facing coasts with moderate coastal flooding likely...major coastal flooding possible along the south coasta and in Narragansett Bay

Conditions ramp up substantially during Monday while Sandy...the center still offshore...makes its approach towards the middle Atlantic coastline. However the wind field from Sandy is far reaching...as over our area during Monday morning h850 winds increase to a remarkable 70 to 90+ kts. A High Wind Warning has already been issued for the entire County Warning Area...with gusts to 60 miles per hour over the interior...and gusts to 70 miles per hour over Rhode Island and east Massachusetts. These strong winds bring significant moisture flux convergence at the low levels and the strong low level wind field with Atlantic moisture could cause terrain/upslope enhanced precipitation that is reflected in particular in the NAM...especially higher resolution versions of the model. This threat is addressed more in the hydrology section of the discussion. Probability of precipitation increase to categorical early on Monday. A Flood Watch is in effect for Monday into Tuesday.

During Monday night categorical probability of precipitation continue as showers associated with Sandy Cross through our area. Continued risk for locally heavy rains. H850 wind field gradually diminishes over time as Sandy tracks overland...with the low level jet continuing at 70 to 90 kts over our area to start...then diminishing to 40 to 60 kts late. High Wind Warning continues for our County Warning Area during this timeframe...still anticipating gusts to 60 to 70 kts over our County Warning Area during the night...but winds should begin to diminish towards daybreak.

Coastal flood and marine headlines are addressed further in this

discussion.

&&

Cloud structure from above spectacular. On the ground at BOS now.

Welcome back Jerry, glad you made it safely and in time!

Brookline Police robocalls were made leaving messages about storm prep.

Hopefully the touted underground electric service for Brookline will not be tested.

I don't see any model showing winds that high. The highest gusts I really can envision for coastal CT is 70 knots based on model soundings.

I'm sort of bummed that the 12z WRF out of BTV has sort of "meh" winds at least as far as sustained 10-meter wind (30ft up/tree top gusts)...

Tomorrow evening as the circulation comes ashore, the model has 20kt-30kt winds over most of SNE, except the south coast and cape where its more like 30-40kts. Anything out over the open water is a solid 40kts and higher though. Too bad we can't realize those over land.

Long Island gets some real high winds though with 40kts sustained at tree-top. I guess that's the good part of the storm tracking south a bit...if it ended up tracking over NYC, those winds over Long Island would be up towards the Mass Pike and the damage would be much worse inland.

00z Tuesday (tomorrow evening when Sandy approaches the coast)

03 Tuesday (just after landfall)

Archived