christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Tuesday/Wednesday Storm

CT Rain

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent event. The rain during the day busted pretty hard here with nothing more than a few light showers, but the squall was awesome. Also enjoying taking the family to the beach to experience the high wind and waves--was hard to stand at times, so it had to be 40-45+ at times....sand was blasting us in spots too.

yea the cape missed the wind. Great Sept storm none the less

yeah i wasn't expecting much out here really. i figured max gust would be 40-ish and sustained wind would be the way we might make the advisory criteria

the core of the jet actually passed somewhat NW of here and it also passed pretty late at night. it was relatively warm and sunny during the day yesterday - which would have been good for getting some wind going - but the low level winds weren't very strong this far east at that time...the jet sort of developed and took shape throughout the course of the day, getting going out west and then strengthening, organizing, tightening and passing NE across the region later on, so by the time it passed through here the LL environment was fairly stable. plus, the SSTs out this way aren't as warm now as they are out to the west so i think that factored in too, creating a much more isothermal PBL.

generally S wind events out this way are no big deal. sometimes in the heart of the winter we can scour out the low level inversion for an hour or two and really rip good but generally i like W/NW or E/NE for fun.

Looks like it only gusted to 38 knots at ORH for peak wind...that's pretty low. I would have figured something in the mid 40s.

Wind advisory worked out well though. Pretty much everyone fell short of HWW criteria except MQE and probably some weenie 2k hill tops in the Berks...but the wind advisory criteria was widespread.

yeah i wasn't expecting much out here really. i figured max gust would be 40-ish and sustained wind would be the way we might make the advisory criteria

the core of the jet actually passed somewhat NW of here and it also passed pretty late at night. it was relatively warm and sunny during the day yesterday - which would have been good for getting some wind going - but the low level winds weren't very strong this far east at that time...the jet sort of developed and took shape throughout the course of the day, getting going out west and then strengthening, organizing, tightening and passing NE across the region later on, so by the time it passed through here the LL environment was fairly stable. plus, the SSTs out this way aren't as warm now as they are out to the west so i think that factored in too, creating a much more isothermal PBL.

generally S wind events out this way are no big deal. sometimes in the heart of the winter we can scour out the low level inversion for an hour or two and really rip good but generally i like W/NW or E/NE for fun.

yes great analysis.The precipitous drop in SSTs the last couple of weeks has been nice to see. I agree the best core did miss the cape.

well it was a good show top gust at ground level was 41 mph short beach,branford,ct. lots of leaves and small branches laying around.it would have been a diffrent story and a tad worse if A.we had the second high tide before the wind shift last night B. if we had the rain first instead of last, that way trees would be top heavy and saturated soil would have done the rest.

This seemed to have been mostly a CT and Western Mass deal as many of those areas had gusts into the 50's.

There are still over 16k w/o power in CT.

All the disaster that happened after Irene and the snowstorm and we get a south flow High wind event and they still can't people back online.

Some things never change

This seemed to have been mostly a CT and Western Mass deal as many of those areas had gusts into the 50's.

All the disaster that happened after Irene and the snowstorm and we get a south flow High wind event and they still can't people back online.

Some things never change

BOS and PVD both gusted at/over 50mph (>43 knots).

It was a pretty solid wind advisory event overall...the reports were pretty consistent with max gusts between about 37 and 45 knots and several places managed to report sustained in the 25-30 knot range.

Some things never change

I said that yesterday-if we had another Irene or Oct snow today, the same exact thing would happen as it did last year--they've done some lip service and cosmetic changes, but they are grossly understaffed to handle any kind of real emergency.

Anyone want to share their thoughts on the Tornado watches isused yesterday? IMO the NWS offices and SPC do themselves a disservice when they issue these watches in a situation where any tornadoes will be very brief. The False Alarm Ratio on these type of events is extremely HIGH and the skill or verification is EXTREMELY low. When the cells are moving 40Kts + by the time a warning is issued the the tornado is back up in the clouds. Just venting..I'll get off my soap box now.

I agree that they are understaffed to handle power outages the way some people expect. Well, what do you mean by handle an emergency? There are outages in 130 or so towns. Do we expect them to have enough crews to immediately address all those downed lines? You want to think about what your electric bill would be?

I agree that they are understaffed to handle power outages the way some people expect. Well, what do you mean by handle an emergency? There are outages in 130 or so towns. Do we expect them to have enough crews to immediately address all those downed lines? You want to think about what your electric bill would be?

Yeah agreed. When comparing one utility to another, the response of WMECO vs. that of CLP for example, it's fair to criticize. But the indignant responses from some residents, played up by the local media of course, is really overblown. It's like someone who wants oceanfront property and then demands someone else pay when a wave washes into their living room. If you want to live in a heavily forested area, don't complain when branches come down on power lines. If you can't stand to be without power, move to the city or somewhere where the lines are buried. Sorry for the rant.

Looks like it only gusted to 38 knots at ORH for peak wind...that's pretty low. I would have figured something in the mid 40s.

Wind advisory worked out well though. Pretty much everyone fell short of HWW criteria except MQE and probably some weenie 2k hill tops in the Berks...but the wind advisory criteria was widespread.

Surprising. CEF had a gust to 40 though CT Rain pointed out that the valley can do well on southerlies it's not often wind speeds here will exceed those sites with much greater elevation.

Anyone want to share their thoughts on the Tornado watches isused yesterday? IMO the NWS offices and SPC do themselves a disservice when they issue these watches in a situation where any tornadoes will be very brief. The False Alarm Ratio on these type of events is extremely HIGH and the skill or verification is EXTREMELY low. When the cells are moving 40Kts + by the time a warning is issued the the tornado is back up in the clouds. Just venting..I'll get off my soap box now.

Maybe I'm a bit ignorant to "verifying" a watch because I thought it would be handled like a convective outlook. If it is something probabilistic then how can it have a simple FAR? Even if nothing happens, is it fair to judge a watch in this manner?

Maybe I'm a bit ignorant to "verifying" a watch because I thought it would be handled like a convective outlook. If it is something probabilistic then how can it have a simple FAR? Even if nothing happens, is it fair to judge a watch in this manner?

I say it is fair.

For starters public perception (i.e. the end user) is huge. The public hears TORNADO watch (Part of i is based on the fact that most of the genral public doesn't know the difference of watch vs. warning). Past two strong cold fropas were wind events and verified as such; yes there was a tornado threat in both cases but the tornado threat was much lower than the WIND threat was. How many tornadoes occured yesterday in the TW across the NEUS and New England? Same on Sept 8th (for the watch areas north of the SENY/SW CT one).

From Doswell, et al Tornado Forecasting: A Review -

"Another important aspect of tornado forecast verification is that tornado watches are area forecasts that typically cover several tens of thousands of square kilometers, whereas tornadoes affect only a few square kilometers even in major events. This disparity in coverage means that successful tornado watches (i.e., those with tornadoes in them) are mostly "false alarms" in the sense that the vast majority of the forecast area is unaffected. The original watch verification schemes considered them as area forecasts, so that a single tornado effectively verified the entire area of the watch. Recently, as described in Weiss et al. (1980), watch verification has been changed such that a single report only verifies a portion of the total watch area/time. However, this new scheme still does not incorporate information about areas outside the watch."

Archived