• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Tuesday/Wednesday Storm

CT Rain

More and more spotters are going to make it easy to verify moderate...especially on the east coast. I mean technically I guess it would be correct, but kind of weak sauce if max gusts are 40-45kts.

Yeah I agree. More and more I feel like the slight/mod terminology is useless.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've asked for $100,000 per town for tree trimming. Can you imagine that..100 grand for all 162 towns and cities lol

Asplundh was been out in our neighborhood quite alot in the last 1 1/2 years doing tree trimming on Dunn Road. We have still lost power three times since April 2011 due to tree limbs falling on the power lines along that road even with the pruning/trimming. Unless they can remove tree's with 50-100 feet of power lines this will continue to happen as a tree or limb can still topple onto the lines after it has been trimmed back..

Asplundh was been out in our neighborhood quite alot in the last 1 1/2 years doing tree trimming on Dunn Road. We have still lost power three times since April 2011 due to tree limbs falling on the power lines along that road even with the pruning/trimming. Unless they can remove tree's with 50-100 feet of power lines this will continue to happen as a tree or limb can still topple onto the lines after it has been trimmed back..

Exactly..Trimming some branches back off some trees does nothing. If they seriously want to make things better they need to take down entire trees. It's basically a waste of money trimming some branches. We had over 40K lose power yesterday almost a year after this "trimming project began" in a 40-55mph south wind event.

Exactly..Trimming some branches back off some trees does nothing. If they seriously want to make things better they need to take down entire trees. It's basically a waste of money trimming some branches. We had over 40K lose power yesterday almost a year after this "trimming project began" in a 40-55mph south wind event.

Yeah my wife gets frustrated everytime we lose power and we both agree that tree removal is the answer, or burying the lines which would be extremely expensive, but it might be an infrastructure improvement project that may give people jobs. I understand that there may be places with historic or old tree's that one cannot remove, but around here most of the tree's are wild and overgrown and of no importance if removed.

I hope I'm not beating the dead horse here but yesterday is a prime example of the difference between the two utilities. As a percentage of customers, CT towns had more outages than western Mass towns despite having similar winds, etc. I don't necessarily have a complaint about the response, but rather that CT seems to be wired fundamentally different than western Mass which results in a larger percentage of customers loosing power when all things are equal. It makes us (and rightly so) a laughingstock when it comes to storms and power outages. This obviously doesn't apply to special circumstances during a storm.

FWIW, my power came back on this morning after a utility truck came by and two minutes (literally) later the power was back on. If all it takes is flipping some switch, I hope they figure out some way of remotely managing these things!

</rant> & sorry if I bothered anyone.

Your complaints about CLP are fair. I was thinking more about some stuff I heard up here after October... This town was hit very hard, and despite being out of power over a week I thought the National Grid and WMECO crews were doing an exceptional job for the most part, yet still getting a boatload of crap.

Not really sure what CLPs deal is... Is it a business model thing? Lack of good forecasters and poor pre-storm logistical prep? Something in CT municipal code that makes it harder to do line work?

We can't just evaluate it for number of customers out because CT is more population dense, but some metric that corrected for population density and took into account likely impact from various types of storms would be a fair comparison. And I'm still pretty sure that it would show CLP doing a lousy job relatively.

Around here at least CL&P has done virtually nothing since the October snow storm. When they were fixing poles/wires to restore power they did so very quickly and didn't rebuild or fix things as stable as they should be...I even believe they admitted this during the restoration process. I always assumed during the spring time we would see crews out again making sure their fixes were adequate or to a high standard but there's been nothing.

I still see some wires that haven't been touched or fixed correctly and see some old wires still hanging.

I think pretty much for the most part people don't expect to not lose power, however, the restoration process shouldn't take as long as CL&P have taken in some cases. When you have widespread damage and disaster it can be understood, however, going back to last October CL&P should have been aware of the potential, they should have had back-up on standby and that probably would have shaved off a great deal of restoration time for thousands and thousands of people.

Asplundh was here last July of 2011 doing extensive tree trimming on Dunn Road which is our side road into town and where our electric power lines run into our community. Despite this we lost power for 7 days after the October snowstorm and the frustrating thing was we had no line damage on Dunn Road as I live fairly high up and about 90% of our tree's where bare. Only two fairly small branches came down on the power lines along the length of the road due to a few crappy oak tree's still having leaves that overhung the lines and this tripped the circuit and cut our power. Restoration literally took less than one hour with line crews frm Alabama. Trimming is meaningless if you still have tree's towering above the power lines in the end.

Asplundh is currently trimming the tree's on Grant Hill Road in Coventry/Tolland and this is the first time that I have seen any tree crews in my town since last November.

Man from what I hear Lebanon, Hampton, Scotland got hit with a bag of what the heck last night. I finally got to see my property in daylight tonight around 630. What a huge mess of small branches, twigs and leaves. Lots of acorns and debris. One tree in the woods snapped about 1/2 way up and is now a widow maker. We got hit last night right around 1130 with the highest winds of the day. Huge bang when the power went down somewhere down the road. Great storm.

I don't think tree trimming or taking down whole trees is the answer either based on my observations and discussions over the past year. They need to mimic the setup that other NU companies use as a far fewer percentage of customers loose their power in those companies. Trees are just used as a scape goat if you ask me.

They need to harden the network and add additional circuit breakers so fewer customers loose power when an area is hit. You'll notice that instead of 10-20 customers loosing power at a time that 100s loose it at a time and the numbers just sky rocket. My town, Stafford, had up to 4% of it's customers without power yet the two towns just over the state line had less than 1% loose power.

Man from what I hear Lebanon, Hampton, Scotland got hit with a bag of what the heck last night. I finally got to see my property in daylight tonight around 630. What a huge mess of small branches, twigs and leaves. Lots of acorns and debris. One tree in the woods snapped about 1/2 way up and is now a widow maker. We got hit last night right around 1130 with the highest winds of the day. Huge bang when the power went down somewhere down the road. Great storm.

Pics?

Why down there would the winds be more on the east side and not western slopes like up here?

Up here with strong SE flow, the damaging winds are always on the downslope side (western slope communities) where they often mix down the full extent of H85 wind. You'll rarely see BTV issue wind products for areas outside of the spine and west slopes where towns like Underhill, Jerhico, Richmond (west of Mansfield's ridge) routinely see 50-60 mph downslope winds in cold season ESE flow. Also the Rutland area on the west slope near Killington is known to get destroyed in SE flow situations. Maybe due to CAD and more stable surface air east of the crest?

For I was referring to Blizz' post regarding heavier/heavy precip.

As for the winds AQW and DDH usually due very well on an ESE-SE wind mostly due to gaps in the Taconics and Berkshires. Strong wind also extends up to the Battenkill Vally too. HV lucked out with some decent gusts circa 40 mph due to channelling of a more southerly flow as well.

The higher elevations of the Catskills and 'Dacks west of LG will also do good on a S'ly flow too under the right set up especially if these locations are above the more stable LL of the atmosphere.

We had about 3 inches out here yesterday...first decent rain in ages. One more lawn mowing now this coming weekend and that's it.

Great day today..the warmest I saw was 58. 46 now.

For I was referring to Blizz' post regarding heavier/heavy precip.

As for the winds AQW and DDH usually due very well on an ESE-SE wind mostly due to gaps in the Taconics and Berkshires. Strong wind also extends up to the Battenkill Vally too. HV lucked out with some decent gusts circa 40 mph due to channelling of a more southerly flow as well.

The higher elevations of the Catskills and 'Dacks west of LG will also do good on a S'ly flow too under the right set up especially if these locations are above the more stable LL of the atmosphere.

Not sure whether this deserves it's own thread, although some of us are in or near yet another day 3 slight risk. Nam is a lot faster with the Saturday frontal passage than 00z. Maybe it reaches CT while there's still remnant instability? In this case the LLJ does not look to be as strong as the past few events, but there should still be a good amount of directional shear and the U/L winds will be ripping pretty good. It's hard to expect anything around here but the same ol' NY/EPA/NWNJ/SW CT favored spots might pull something and the trend is at least in the right direction.

Not sure whether this deserves it's own thread, although some of us are in or near yet another day 3 slight risk. Nam is a lot faster with the Saturday frontal passage than 00z. Maybe it reaches CT while there's still remnant instability? In this case the LLJ does not look to be as strong as the past few events, but there should still be a good amount of directional shear and the U/L winds will be ripping pretty good. It's hard to expect anything around here but the same ol' NY/EPA/NWNJ/SW CT favored spots might pull something and the trend is at least in the right direction.

I think I saw SIG TOR probabilities showing up. The ST ingredients I believe maxed at 10% on the 9z SREF mean.

Weatherwiz and I were talking about it a couple nights ago but I didn't have the strength since we just finished up Tuesday's convection.

Archived