• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre - 1990 DC Metro Storm that you would have most liked to experience or that you did experience

Deck Pic

Pick one  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Washington and Jefferson 1772
    • February 5-14, 1899
    • Knickerbocker 1922
    • February 1936
    • Palm Sunday 1942
    • February 1958
    • March 1958
    • January 26-31, 1966
    • PD1
    • Blizzard 83
    • Back to Back 1987
    • Veterans Day 1987
    • Christmas 1966
    • March 1960
    • Jan 1964
    • Feb 1967
    • Feb 1961
    • Dec 1969
    • Feb 1972
    • Dec 1960

Palm Sunday 1942. Its mind-boggling that DC/Baltimore got that much snow that late in the year, and that's still BWI's 6th largest snowstorm. Whenever someone throws out the "sun angle" argument in March, this is how I reply lol

In terms of the question at hand -- "Pre-1990 DC Metro Storm that you would have most liked to experience" -- I would agree with you, as that event was not only remarkable, but would have been a lot of fun. However, if the question were -- "Most Awesome Pre-1990 DC Metro Storm" -- I think it has to be February 5-14, 1899. The snowfall and temperature numbers during that period are almost incomprehensible by today's standards, but I would not want to have experienced it.

Since I wasn't yet born, I assume Christmas 1966 refers to a snowstorm so that is an easy choice for me.

In second place, I'd like to go back to '83 and experience that storm again. 32" in Warren Co in about 16 hours. Temp of 12 - 13 degrees and thundersnow. I can recall seeing 6 - 8 ft drifts across Rt 619. Complete isolation for about 2 days post-storm. Incredible.

Probably Washington-Jefferson tho I don't really believe the totals reported.

Yeah, I heard that DCA only reported 12.6" from that one! :P

Sorry, could not resist that! But seriously, hard to decide on a single storm I'd have to say the Jan. 1966 blizzard, PD-I in Feb. 1979, and Feb. 1983 would probably be top of my list of wanting to experience, mostly because I'm more familiar with hearing about those. If I had to give only one, I'd have to go with the Jan. 1966 blizzard from what I read about it (KU's snowstorm book, etc.)...sounds like a classic blizzard in a classically cold and snowy January. It may not have had as much snow as the PD-I or Feb. 1983 events, but for overall impact I'd still go with '66.

I love these polls of yours.

Where's January 1857? From what I've read -- I think Don S.'s website has some info on it -- it was a full fledged blizzard from Norfolk to Boston.

Feb. 1899 wins this. If weather events were bands, Feb. 2010 would still be the opening act for Feb. 1899, IMO. It had almost as much snow as Feb. 2010, along with temperatures that exceeded those of Jan. 1994. Feb. 1899 even got a mention in one of Gore Vidal's novels -- I think it was Empire. Vidal, who's famous for researching his historical novels, was writing about one of his characters in 1899 -- the novel was set in DC -- and he alluded rather strongly to a massive snowstorm. It was just a throwaway line or two, as I recall, but he did mention it.

would have been a great one...low teens, 18 hour storm...heaviest snow at dawn...whiteout conditions

Torn between PD1 and Veterans Day storm. Went with PD1, but it was close.

would have been a great one...low teens, 18 hour storm...heaviest snow at dawn...whiteout conditions..I experienced it in the philly burbs as a 6 year old, but don't remember much except we had a crapload of snow to play in afterward

Archived