bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Severe Weather potential 9/8/12

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z GFS has a scenario that kind of stinks for western SNE. The second s/w coming down from the lakes is stronger and kicks the original s/w northeast. Could be the GFS..but something to watch.

Wiz and ineedsnow will be heartbroken if this revolting development turns out to be true.

The 18z GFS has a scenario that kind of stinks for western SNE. The second s/w coming down from the lakes is stronger and kicks the original s/w northeast. Could be the GFS..but something to watch.

Sounds good to me, Scooter if anything happens at all, what time would you peg for down here, work then beach so timing is everything.

Thank you sir.

I think we're looking at a high end widespread wind damage threat from Binghamton to the Hudson Valley and up to Saratoga Springs. Could be an isolated super cell or two out ahead of it (possible tornado). Further north or south its slightly more complicated. Up in Northern New England, the front isn't arriving until late so instability will be decreasing. That being said, wind field will be stronger already. Down in the NYC metro area the CAPE will be higher but the greatest forcing and wind field is north. However, 1500+ CAPE and 40 knots of 0-6km shear and 30 knots of 0-1km shear will provide enough for severe thunderstorms along the line with damaging winds the main threat (possibly high end in a few cases). I'm not sold on a tornado threat in the NYC area (except for a possible weak spin up along the front edge of the line).

Anyway I HIGHLY doubt they drop the MDT risk, although I could see some shrinkage. Would not even be surprised to see a HIGH risk pop out tomorrow morning.

This is potential to be quite significant for the lower tier of NY and into the Hudson/Mohawk River Valleys.

Anyway I HIGHLY doubt they drop the MDT risk, although I could see some shrinkage. Would not even be surprised to see a HIGH risk pop out tomorrow morning.

That would be pretty ridiculous, but I'm sure if they were going to issue one that they'd wait until the instability factor is set in stone largely.

Sounds good to me, Scooter if anything happens at all, what time would you peg for down here, work then beach so timing is everything.

Thank you sir.

Well we may see some shwrs move up from the south at anytime in the aftn to be honest. It will not be a good beach day with 25-30mph winds. Actual line of rain may be more like 7-9pm.

Well we may see some shwrs move up from the south at anytime in the aftn to be honest. It will not be a good beach day with 25-30mph winds. Actual line of rain may be more like 7-9pm.

goes along with what I've been reading from local sources here.....with the line coming in that late, would think it starts to fall apart as it often does here anyway with the marine taint.

Thanks man, sounds perfect beach faces east so we are largely blocked by homes and such, but the action out on the reef will be intense, I need to bring the cam out tomorrow and take some video. Penfield reef is cool, one side will be like the ocean, the other calm as can be, broken by only 20 yards of reef.

7-9, thats perfect, thanks much Scooter.

Thanks man, sounds perfect beach faces east so we are largely blocked by homes and such, but the action out on the reef will be intense, I need to bring the cam out tomorrow and take some video. Penfield reef is cool, one side will be like the ocean, the other calm as can be, broken by only 20 yards of reef.

7-9, thats perfect, thanks much Scooter.

grab some video and picks...we have our neighborhood block party from 2-8-hoping to get most of it in...otherwise, would be a cool day to check out the beach-not sure I'd want to be sitting down there with the blowing sand...

grab some video and picks...we have our neighborhood block party from 2-8-hoping to get most of it in...otherwise, would be a cool day to check out the beach-not sure I'd want to be sitting down there with the blowing sand...

meh, only blowing sand will be east of the reef and sea grape, great day to be out on the end of fairfield beach rd, too, not only for the surf, but watching the storms come in, amazing spot.

The storm that developed right over Boston was timed perfect for my departure from work. Torrential rain, lightning crashing around. The building was struck. fire alarm went off. Cambridge St was a river, back end of Charles St near MGH had standing water 8-10" deep. Umbrella was useless. The train (MBTA) at Charles St station stopped, witnessed three bolts hiting the tracks 100 yards to the north on the bridge. Lights on the train flickered must have taken a huge power surge.

Crazy stuff!

The storm that developed right over Boston was timed perfect for my departure from work. Torrential rain, lightning crashing around. The building was struck. fire alarm went off. Cambridge St was a river, back end of Charles St near MGH had standing water 8-10" deep. Umbrella was useless. The train (MBTA) at Charles St station stopped, witnessed three bolts hiting the tracks 100 yards to the north on the bridge. Lights on the train flickered must have taken a huge power surge.

Crazy stuff!

Nice Don.

Archived