Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Severe Weather potential 9/8/12

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they hinting at a derecho type of event with this? Ian should know..

...DAMAGING SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE

NORTHEASTERN U.S. SATURDAY...

POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT DAMAGING WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED ACROSS MUCH

OF THE NERN U.S. SATURDAY. LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE...ESPECIALLY THE

NAM/ECMWF...SUGGEST SHORT-WAVE TROUGH OVER THE UPPER GREAT LAKES

WILL DIG INTO LOWER MI BY 08/12 BEFORE EJECTING NEWD IN A NEGATIVELY

TILTED FASHION AND DEEPENING OVER SERN ONTARIO/WRN QUEBEC. 90-120M

12HR HEIGHT FALLS WILL SPREAD ACROSS WRN/UPSTATE NY DURING THE DAY

ENSURING A STRONGLY FORCED AND CONVECTIVELY-ACTIVE COLD FRONT. THIS

EVOLUTION SUGGESTS A FRONTAL INTRUSION THAT WILL INDUCE A BAND OF

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS AS IT SURGES ACROSS THE NRN MIDDLE ATLANTIC

REGION INTO NEW ENGLAND.

The are hinting at a potentially damaging MCS, a derecho has specific criteria that must be fulfilled before it can be called a "derecho". Usually this happens during post analysis (and occasionally nowcasting when it is really obvious that there is a derecho occurring).

REGION INTO NEW ENGLAND.

was the word "derecho" mentioned in the discussion?

REGION INTO NEW ENGLAND.

It's not necessarily a derecho pattern per se but it could perhaps meet the criteria.

oh. so you're doing the ctblizz "let's pick a strong word and run with it" routine?

probably no major reason to go there but this event has pretty high potential for damaging winds.

i was wondering if we've had a yr with five mod risks in the northeast (counting the DC area) before.. i think we're at 5 now?

probably no major reason to go there but this event has pretty high potential for damaging winds.

i was wondering if we've had a yr with five mod risks in the northeast (counting the DC area) before.. i think we're at 5 now?

Or this late in the year? I can't recall seeing dead leaves in cumulus like today.

Even though I was the only one who saw it close by, some amazing structure shots of the storms from the south. Classic updraft scenario where I drove through. No rain, but good CG...weird to see that around here. It was shortly followed by large fat drops before the heavens opened. Nothing here at home though. Missed each cell by about 4 miles. Ian would have loved the photo ops.

Or this late in the year? I can't recall seeing dead leaves in cumulus like today.

that's weird. it's really leaves?

i know this is the only d2 mod risk in sept in the northeast.. there have only been three overall, though that's only since 2003. tho im not terribly sure that's a useful metric for several reasons. one, it's subjective. two, our forecasting ability is much improved now. im sure there are plenty of d2 events in the past that were not mod that would be mod today.

Even though I was the only one who saw it close by, some amazing structure shots of the storms from the south. Classic updraft scenario where I drove through. No rain, but good CG...weird to see that around here. It was shortly followed by large fat drops before the heavens opened. Nothing here at home though. Missed each cell by about 4 miles. Ian would have loved the photo ops.

isolated convection is always nice.. kinda not the typical in these parts either. i saw a few cool pics of cells in n md and s pa earlier too.

i know this is the only d2 mod risk in sept in the northeast.. there have only been three overall, though that's only since 2003. tho im not terribly sure that's a useful metric for several reasons. one, it's subjective. two, our forecasting ability is much improved now. im sure there are plenty of d2 events in the past that were not mod that would be mod today.

Yes the d2 difference is big IMO, given the waning instability on the newer model runs they will either drop the mod or shrink it west away from the coast I would think in the d1 outlook.

Bring it on..

And yes, I thought it was a flock of birds until I downloaded the photos.

Yes the d2 difference is big IMO, given the waning instability on the newer model runs they will either drop the mod or shrink it west away from the coast I would think in the d1 outlook.

I'm still not really sold on much of the New England portion of it though I can understand the reasoning. I'd probably also extend it south a bit given the very consistent guidance for the southern portion of the line. I do wonder if they are quicker to pull the trigger when it's a weekend in a highly populated area.. tho I definitely don't think it's unwarranted as a whole.

Archived