wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Severe Weather potential 9/8/12

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff Wiz. The setup reminds me of Aug. 10th a bit. We won't need too much instability to get impressive storms; 2K j/kg might yield moderate risk in fact. I'd favor initially discrete cells, possibly training with eventual interactions forming linear segments, but not necessarily a west-east propagating bow.

Good Call!

post-1816-0-10850000-1347040116_thumb.pn

a little wary after the 7/26 bustola

This is an entirely different setup.

We have a late fall like system moving into a July like airmass. The amount of lift/forcing with this system is freaking incredible and will do lots of wonders. We have strong height falls which were not really present on 7/26 and that day we actually had some height rises and were capped off around 550mb...neither is the case for tomorrow.

Ha, that was a good call Radarman.

So the 7/26 bust had the instability but sh*tty lapse rates. This has mediocre instability and lousy lapse rates. But, it has strong forcing going for it west of SNE especially. Sort of a compromise. I guess from the border....or especially CT river on east..not sure it's a big deal I guess, other than sct stronger cells perhaps. VT and western MA may be in the zone.

So the 7/26 bust had the instability but sh*tty lapse rates. This has mediocre instability and lousy lapse rates. But, it has strong forcing going for it west of SNE especially. Sort of a compromise. I guess from the border....or especially CT river on east..not sure it's a big deal I guess, other than sct stronger cells perhaps. VT and western MA may be in the zone.

Yup! It's an entirely different ballgame when you start involving strong dynamical support and forcing. As we usually see later on in the fall with convection it becomes more dynamical than thermodynamical. Even 1000-1500 Cape tomorrow would be huge.

I do like how the GFS sped up the timing

When you have dynamics being forecasted as strong as what they are for tomorrow you really don't need much cape at all. Plus factor in the great mixing along with no inversion...won't take much at all to generate winds to the surface so that line will pack a punch probably to the coast...although with gradual weakening.

Archived