• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather potential 9/8/12

weatherwiz

Morning junk could throw a wrench in this as well, this is the Northeast afterall, it's going to take more than strong wind fields to get something substantial going (whereas it would be easier in a location with better access to the Gulf/better lapse rates and such). I can see why Goss decided to go conservative.

That said, the model runs tonight certainly indicate an uptick in this potential.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the potential is there for some convection possibly Sunday. Euro as we suspected was a little overdone with the cutoff. It also may be a timing issue of the GFS is right. The GFS brings it in Saturday Night. Doesn't look too impressive right now though either way. At least right now.

Anyway.. now that Kevin has taken his ball and gone home... I thought the overnight runs looks pretty impressive for severe on Saturday - especially west of here.

Seems like an impressive amount of instability for September with a very dynamic system... long hodographs and strong forcing. Probably need timing to speed up a bit for SNE though.

Anyway.. now that Kevin has taken his ball and gone home... I thought the overnight runs looks pretty impressive for severe on Saturday - especially west of here.

Seems like an impressive amount of instability for September with a very dynamic system... long hodographs and strong forcing. Probably need timing to speed up a bit for SNE though.

Yeah NY state looks nice. Just not sure how it plays out here in the evening. I guess it could sustain itself since we don't have to worry about SSTs screwing us.

what's the timing look like for western CT-have a decision to make on a block party that runs 2-8pm...we can move to sunday which is making alot of sense based on what I'm reading....thx...

The NAM from last night really strengthens what looks to be an unorganized line of convection around 20z and then moves it to the coast of the N Mid Atlantic and Western New England. Timed well with the vigorous shortwave moving through Central PA and NY at that time.

its a high shear environment, if we can muster up any good CAPE we could get some nice storms. However, at this time im favoring a more broken line of convection.

Surprised this is getting less attention...quite a trend on the GFS here over the last two model cycles...pretty impressive looking setup.

The SPC SREF now also has 60kts of 0-6km bulk shear over NY State, Eastern PA, and parts of Western NJ at 00z Sunday.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/AVN_12z/f60.gif

Last nights 00z run valid at the same time: http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/AVN_0z/f72.gif

Surprised this is getting less attention...quite a trend on the GFS here over the last two model cycles...pretty impressive looking setup.

The SPC SREF now also has 60kts of 0-6km bulk shear over NY State, Eastern PA, and parts of Western NJ at 00z Sunday.

http://www.meteo.psu...AVN_12z/f60.gif

Last nights 00z run valid at the same time: http://www.meteo.psu.../AVN_0z/f72.gif

Looks better for NY State/PA and possibly western areas? It's at the best point where the s/w wave digs down and kicks in the dynamics. It lifts out as it moves east which makes it better for NY and PA.

Looks better for NY State/PA and possibly western areas? It's at the best point where the s/w wave digs down and kicks in the dynamics. It lifts out as it moves east which makes it better for NY and PA.

Yeah, absolutely. The SREF mean has nearly 2000 joules of mixed layer cape extending pretty far north into the good shear values..so I think this could turn into a big damaging wind event there if all goes well.

Yeah, absolutely. The SREF mean has nearly 2000 joules of mixed layer cape extending pretty far north into the good shear values..so I think this could turn into a big damaging wind event there if all goes well.

I could see that. I like when those s/w's kick down and out like that. Perfect for height falls and forcing. Just not sure much of anything here in BOS, but areas like Albany and points south into eastern PA look pretty good for now.

If we could get this cold front to speed up a bit so that it is entering SNE by like 18 Z and not 00 Z. Then Saturday could end up being an interesting afternoon. But as it stands now, it looks as if the Cold Front will be entering SNE around 00 Z. Will have to monitor going ahead, but timing looks off right now.

I agree that as far as coverage goes ENY, NW NJ, and EPA would be favored, but western SNE might do better with regards to storm mode. I don't mind the slightly weaker dynamics if it means being out ahead of the front. That said, I still would prefer it to speed up a bit... 23Z initiation is fine in June, but in Sept. I'd rather see it no later than 21Z.

Where are you located?

Yeah it's a little slow still for this area, but very impressive nonetheless.

Talking about from this board's perspective, I'm actually in the Pac NW lol.

But seriously, 300+ m2/s2 0-3 km SRH across a huge portion of NY state from that 00z NAM by 21z. The instability isn't shabby either, with 1000-2000 J/kg.

I feel like we would be much better off if it was a very, very potent shortwave, as opposed to a huge longwave trough. That way, there is still ascent, but not too much large scale ascent, which leads to more clouds, convective debris, etc.

A good example of a very potent shortwave with an otherwise similar setup is 9/16/10.

Archived