• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather potential 9/8/12

weatherwiz

That's a really impressive synoptic setup for a NE severe weather event. As other have mentioned timing looks a bit slow for us but it looks impressive just west of us.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some discrete activity form out ahead of the line which could try and work into western sections early on.

I see the main line surviving fairly well (of course with some breaks in the line) but how much severe weather we see from it will all depend on how much instability we have left. Even for several hours after dark though some models have some decent instability. No inversion in the BL either so we shouldn't have many issues mixing down some strong gusts.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the extreme heat down south I'm wondering if as the trough amplifies over the next 36 hours it may be able to tap into the reservoir and advect a narrow column of hot dry air northward. I think the euro may be hinting at this slightly. If that were to occur, perhaps it may add to our elevated instability overnight? Any extra CIN that may come with it I would think would be overcome by the strong forcing associated with the fropa. I find it hard to believe that we'll get much if anything rooted at the surface much after sunset, but a solid light show certainly.

Sct tstms that I talked about yesterday over SE MA now.

Ya I mentioned in my blog post yesterday that there was a chance for scattered showers and storms in portions of SNE for today too. As for Saturday still not excited. Let me know if this mornings NAM speeds up by about 6 hours. Then I might like our chances.

I really like the fact we have a somewhat rapidly deepening sfc low just off to our west along with a sharpening trough. The vort along the trough is nothing to sneeze at either...that thing will mean business. Dynamics rapidly increase in response to the deepening low and sharpening trough as well and there should be large amounts of both 0-1 and 0-3km helicity with great speed shear as well.

As far as the timing of things goes the only thing I think that will matter with will be the potential for a few tornadoes and a more widespread damaging wind event. Even if we see the line come through after dark the sfc stays somewhat unstable thanks to a flux of llvl moisture and high theta-e air so we should see at least isolated svr all the way to the coast.

The 12z NAM is pretty impressive. EHI values are pretty robust and I wouldn't be shocked to see discrete cells developing across eastern NY and moving into VT/MA/CT as early as 4 PM or so. Only issue is not much directional shear in the 700-500mb level, however, the speed shear is there and great deal of directional shear between the sfc and 500mb.

The MLCAPE axis on the SPC SREF mean is fairly meager.

SREF_mlcape_MEDIAN_MXMN__f036.gif

The SPC SREF hasn't been as impressive with it's past few runs with some of the parameters...interesting b/c other models haven't been backing off much.

I just hope we can develop just enough Cape so where updrafts aren't being torn apart by strong winds aloft...although with the amount of forcing/lift involved here that could be enough to compensate for lack of stronger Cape.

On the whole the 12z Nam slightly weaker with the low compared to 0z. Trough not as consolidated as it amplifies over the lakes. Result is not quite as impressive winds in NY, but pretty much identical for SNE.

Sim radar (which I generally hate) is balls to the walls on the line around dark.

Link to the sim radar?

Archived