• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Storm Leslie - Discussion, Images, Forecasts

I don't really see this posing a threat right now to the EC.

It's almost completely impossible, but most factors would be in favor of that happening if Leslie did not get involved in the central atlantic weakness anymore on the euro or GFS. GFS OP is east of most the ensembles FWIW. Overall, I think it's a rare setup which has more time for changes in the short-mid term where it matters.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost completely impossible, but most factors would be in favor of that happening if Leslie did not get involved in the central atlantic weakness anymore on the euro or GFS. GFS OP is east of most the ensembles FWIW. Overall, I think it's a rare setup which has more time for changes in the short-mid term where it matters.

Even if the thing gets sheared out to a weak TS...the steering factors (even the BAMS) show northward to northeastward motion in the day 3 to day 5 range.

The 4-day stall will be astoundingly fun. How many "regular" and "banter" threads will we need?

I think it will eventually p*ss more weenies off than anything else when it very likely fails to produce a U.S. threat. They will be wishing it to get out or die. Mark my words.

By the way, rainstorm is having fun with this likelihood now at another BB. It is funny.

Most of the major global models seem further west with track this go 'round, but that really only affects Bermuda (and maybe Newfoundland or Maritimes much later). Already starting to recurve by near landfall for Bermuda, on the 12z EC anyway. Looks a bit better organized than the anemic 0z run.

Looks like a complete decoupling, ouch. It'll probably drift further west now though, low level steering currents are westerly. http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/dlmmain.php?&basin=atlantic&sat=wg8∏=dlm1&zoom=&time=

Are the implications for sne or ec hit in general large with weakening or is it not really significant enough?

Just like Ernesto, the forward speed of this system may also hurt it in the end, as the system may be moving too quickly for the circulations to vertically stack and for this thing to really intensify in the near-term.

Not a bad forecast actually.. Leslie has weakened since the last advisory, and the circulations are possibly starting to get decoupled, as one meteorologist mentioned in a prior post. Wind shear has not been helping this storm out at all, and is probably the main reason for why this storm has not intensified further. Certainly, with a forward motion at nearly 20 mph, that doesn't really help the system very much either.

That large trough being forecasted to dig along the east coast will probably override virtually everything else.

Key word here is forecasted. Nothing is set in stone yet. As we saw with Isaac, the early guidence was for an east coast hit, and look where he ended up.

**Disclamer-this is not a wishcast**

Key word here is forecasted. Nothing is set in stone yet. As we saw with Isaac, the early guidence was for an east coast hit, and look where he ended up.

**Disclamer-this is not a wishcast**

It's seems pretty apparent and which has been advertised for a couple days that a TUTT will ride ENE from the FL/GA coast on Fri/Sat and drag a cold front with it out to sea. This really has almost no hope of reaching the EC of the US. Even Maine or Cape Cod has very low odds.

Naked swirl getting covered with convection again.

GFS seems to like it in 6 days when it is near Bermuda. Looks like a near miss East, but I take away slow moving near Bermuda and a global showing 960s central pressure and figure it has a chance to nudge a little closer to Bermuda in the next few days' model runs.

:weenie:

Naked swirl getting covered with convection again.

GFS seems to like it in 6 days when it is near Bermuda. Looks like a near miss East, but I take away slow moving near Bermuda and a global showing 960s central pressure and figure it has a chance to nudge a little closer to Bermuda in the next few days' model runs.

:weenie:

Is your glass half-full optimism returning? 12z GFS has alot room for changes in timing and synoptic setup.

Is your glass half-full optimism returning? 12z GFS has alot room for changes in timing and synoptic setup.

Weenie style quarter full optimistic looking at GFS heights about Hour 180, when Leslie could almost get caught in the Ohio Valley trough.

And bonus, 2 week GFS hints at another Tampico Tantalizer for Josh.

I will say, I fear I may be getting almost JoeBa optimistic seeing storm the GFS recurves shortly later, and imaging the trough being a little tighter/negative tilt and hitting somewhere from the Southeast. Almost snow weeniesh in talking about trough evolution.

Off to the beach, and my wife's ipad crawls on download speed at Popo's Playa Party Pad.

12z CMC radically shifted west of previous cycles. It's interesting; it's attempting that lesser likely scenario I outlined the other day (earlier in this thread). Well see.. The GFS, however, is tantalizing as it digs a trough into the OV, in such a lat/lon that "if" Leslie were in fact successful in not curving at the hands of the earlier weakness there could interaction that way.

Determinism aside (and there isn't much) these runs demonstrate that there is still a lot of uncertainty with how Leslie will interact with the westerlies.

12z CMC radically shifted west of previous cycles. It's interesting; it's attempting that lesser likely scenario I outlined the other day (earlier in this thread). Well see.. The GFS, however, is tantalizing as it digs a trough into the OV, in such a lat/lon that "if" Leslie were in fact successful in not curving at the hands of the earlier weakness there could interaction that way.

Determinism aside (and there isn't much) these runs demonstrate that there is still a lot of uncertainty with how Leslie will interact with the westerlies.

slp24.png

Still have a hard time seeing this as anything close to an EC threat. Maybe I'm wrong.

Too much error involved at this range to forecast anything in my opinion, all we know for now is that it will move slowly over the open Atlantic south of Bermuda for 5 days and probably intensify. Whether it gets whisked out to sea by a trough or a ridge builds in to the north and pushes it into the east coast remains to be seen.

Archived