• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Leslie - Discussion, Images, Forecasts

Bermuda gets the right quad of the center on the 12z ECMWF by 126 hours.

Looks very Fabian-ish

Good comparison. Obviously, Fabian was considerably stronger.

The western edge of guidance looks a lot like Bill from 2009, as that storm passed just outside the 40/70 benchmark.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much error involved at this range to forecast anything in my opinion, all we know for now is that it will move slowly over the open Atlantic south of Bermuda for 5 days and probably intensify. Whether it gets whisked out to sea by a trough or a ridge builds in to the north and pushes it into the east coast remains to be seen.

It's definitely early and the pattern could support it if it were further west, but the storm longitude may be the issue I think. I suppose the only way it "could" threaten is if it remains disorganized and on a more westerly course. I just don't see this other than a tease, but it's early I guess.

It's definitely early and the pattern could support it if it were further west, but the storm longitude may be the issue I think. I suppose the only way it "could" threaten is if it remains disorganized and on a more westerly course. I just don't see this other than a tease, but it's early I guess.

There are a few systems that have gone on to impact land farther west when passing through the current location that Leslie is.

However, the simple terms explanation presently is the accuracy of the ridge strength set to flex for 48 hours N of Bermuda ~. That feature is really more of a s/w ridge; it's progressive and rolls over top and is actually replaced with neutral height field out in time. In that 48 window, the westerly runs appear to have strong heights - the CMC typically does overdue ridge strengths in that D5 and beyond.

The model consensus should suffice for the time being, as accounting for that would pull a track conceptually back east, while it also seems a bit too agressive to take the TC directly through the heights while they are rising - that seems a bit erroneous the other way. Bermuda? I tell you what, for such a small target the atmosphere's got a pretty good darting score on that island - haha

Still have a hard time seeing this as anything close to an EC threat. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'll tell you what, if the ECMWF verifies with that anomalous upper low over the Ohio Valley at days 6-7, I certainly would not say this is a zero threat to NOAM, particularly from Cape Cod to the Maritimes.

I'll tell you what, if the ECMWF verifies with that anomalous upper low over the Ohio Valley at days 6-7, I certainly would not say this is a zero threat to NOAM, particularly from Cape Cod to the Maritimes.

Think it's pretty close to zero threat for the EC, outside of a gusty shwr on Cape Cod and that is pushing it.

I don't believe there's been a storm that has gotten to where Leslie is expected to be at day 3 to 5 and then hit the US East Coast. Even though the ridging is quite anomalous to the north of Leslie to Nova Scotia...it's still not even close to getting to the US East Coast...the storm just starts out way too north and east.

Comparison to Fabian are meh given that Fabian was a strong Cat 4 Cape Verde storm in a classic recurvature accelerating to the north. Leslie is a slow mover, but it could be intensifying when it possibly affects Bermuda.

I don't believe there's been a storm that has gotten to where Leslie is expected to be at day 3 to 5 and then hit the US East Coast. Even though the ridging is quite anomalous to the north of Leslie to Nova Scotia...it's still not even close to getting to the US East Coast...the storm just starts out way too north and east.

Comparison to Fabian are meh given that Fabian was a strong Cat 4 Cape Verde storm in a classic recurvature accelerating to the north. Leslie is a slow mover, but it could be intensifying when it possibly affects Bermuda.

Yeah it's just too far east for the EC. No sense of hoping for anything more then swells.

Both SSTs and 26C isotherm depth are above normal in the Sargasso Sea. So Leslie should encounter more favorable thermodynamic conditions than normal in that area. However, the upper level anticyclone and light shear conditions forecast by the global models in the medium range will have to verify in order to get significant intensification.

NHC day 3-5 forecated positions and storms that were at that position

Day 3--- 27.6, -62.9

nhcday3.jpg

Day 4--- 28.7, -63.3

nhcday4.jpg

Day 5--- 30.8, -64.1

nhcday5.jpg

it was gignger, but she was moving wsw at that time after she made it across half the atlantic moving ene and turned back to the west.

This is consistent with the idea that direction of movement at that point is quite crucial as opposed to just the location.

Looks like the 12z GFS ensemble mean is slightly west of the op. Mean bypasses Bermuda close to 64W and is about 12 hours slower. Op looks more like 62.5W.

My take is that if it bypasses Bermuda, it will be to the left, not to the right. Also, it looks like it will be a highly disruptive hurricane for Bermuda, due to it's big size and slow motion, probably more disruptive than Igor if the track is less than 80 miles from Bermuda...sort of like Isaac, but potentially stronger.

Archived