• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Storm Leslie - Discussion, Images, Forecasts

0z GEFS Spaghetti plots are more enthusiastic about a potential landfall threat.

Yep, they all sort of stall around Bermuda, and then explode away like a bunch of pool balls, with a variety hitting various points on the East Coast.

Big big change in the ensembles from the previous 3-4 runs.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note that most of the northeasterly shear currently interacting with Leslie is also composing the upper-level easterly wind phase of the convectively-suppressed phase of an equatorial atmospheric convectively-coupled Kelvin wave currently over the western tropcial Atalntic. This analysis suggests that the tropical cyclone may struggle to intensify due to an unfavorable interaction with this Kelvin wave for the next couple of days. If intensification were to stall, might we be seeing a slight threat for downstream landfall?

28.gif

(red contours represent positive Kelvin filtered VP200 anomalies, or the suppressed phase of the CCKW; shading is trmm 3b43 rain rates; vectors are 200 hPa wind anomalies).

I actually do think Leslie could be a threat in 7+ days, at least to NEw England. if you are interested I explain a little more in-depth here.

http://www.examiner.com/article/tropical-storm-leslie-needs-to-be-watched

In short, I think the Carolinas north should watch it, particularly Bermuda, New England and into the Maritimes.

I actually do think Leslie could be a threat in 7+ days, at least to NEw England. if you are interested I explain a little more in-depth here.

http://www.examiner....s-to-be-watched

In short, I think the Carolinas north should watch it, particularly Bermuda, New England and into the Maritimes.

Great, consise summary Allan. It'll be interesting to see what sort of interaction (if any) between the remnant weakness of Isaac and the progged westward moving cutoff have over the SE, and to what extent that has (if any) on the orientation of the building ridge in 5-6 days.

In any case, there isn't much to diminish it's potential for further strengthening in the next day or two.

http://www.examiner....s-to-be-watched

Very succinct, well read discussion. Sums up my musings as well.

12z GFS shows the potential of this becoming a Juan-like scenario for Nova Scotia (at the moment, on Sep 10-11, would suggest a somewhat wider time window like 9th-13th). Would not rule out a run towards New England either.

The buoys south of Bermuda report 31C SST today and Leslie will be moving slowly through that region in 4-6 days. It seems reasonable to anticipate a cat-4 intensity at some point during that period. Therefore Bermuda is very much threatened by a close encounter with a cat-3 storm around days 7-8.

12z GFS shows the potential of this becoming a Juan-like scenario for Nova Scotia (at the moment, on Sep 10-11, would suggest a somewhat wider time window like 9th-13th). Would not rule out a run towards New England either.

The buoys south of Bermuda report 31C SST today and Leslie will be moving slowly through that region in 4-6 days. It seems reasonable to anticipate a cat-4 intensity at some point during that period. Therefore Bermuda is very much threatened by a close encounter with a cat-3 storm around days 7-8.

I kinda doubt the likelihood of this, but if it were to happen...Fabian.

12z euro shows a fish storm

It's much weaker and less amplified with the trough moving down from Canada than the 06z GFS and even the 00z ECMWF, the only real chance of a TC hitting the US from that latitude/longitude would be if the trough dug deep enough to pull the cyclone towards the coast, ala 06z GFS. The 12z ECMWF is also noticably weaker in the long range than most of the other guidance.

Edit: The 00z ECMWF had a closed low over SE Canada at hr 168, the 12z run is about 12 hours slower, it's a fish storm but not by much.

Archived